2nd flight in beginner mode.hit tree. Gimbal cable messed up?
1393 14 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jp6940
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48353 ft
United States

Getting error and camera is flipping up and down.  I was flying in the back yard about 6 feet high and got too close to my tree....(new tree so no thick branches)
Mavic hit the branch and tumbled to ground....I ran to my baby and found a propeller broken but looked pretty good!!!!
Replaced the propeller and went back out to fire it up.
I am getting an error about the motor overload and gimbal camera is flipping up and back....cannot adjust it through the remote to move.  The compass calibration will not work and I cannot calibrate the camera either..
So sad.  Only my second flight
I already purchased a new case, new batteries, lenses, controller cover, and finally and iPad mini 4!!!
Got it for Christmas. Any thoughts?

2018-1-3
Use props
Mekhi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149849 ft
Philippines

a picture of the broken bird is a good start....
2018-1-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear that. If you bought Care Refresh this would probably be a good time to use it, but since you didn't mention it I'm guessing you didn't. In that case, your options are to send it to DJI for repair, send it to a third party for repair, or repair it yourself if you're handy enough. The last two options, though, will void your warranty. I've never tried taking advantage of it myself, but I seem to remember someone pointing out recently that many credit cards will reimburse you for damage to recently purchased items, so that may also be something worth pursuing if the repair turns out to be expensive.
2018-1-3
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Also, look real carefully at the Gimbal's mounting.  There was a posting here awhile back where the gimbal plate had merely slipped out from underneath a holding tab.  The fix was simply to get it back under the tab.  Hope yours is that simple.
2018-1-3
Use props
Jp6940
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your replies.  No refresh purchased but mom purchased a 3 year “warranty” from sams club.  I tried the IMu calibration but the gimbal says disconnected.  I don’t have the warranty papers here but was looking for more of a quick fix-not sure if it is a major problem or a easy fix.  I’ll check the plate to see if it is still intact.

Not much to see in a picture.  It looks brand new-no physical damage
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

" mom purchased a 3 year “warranty” from sams club"

Very smart mom!  Pack it back up in the box and return/exchange it.  No questions asked!
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh...don't tell them your crashed
2018-1-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-4 08:31
Oh...don't tell them your crashed

Agreed. If you don’t tell, we won’t tell. Box it up and pay sam’s club a visit.
2018-1-4
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... some advice.... when you get a new drone, don't fly in your backyard, find a spot that is a little larger with no trees...  that's what I did, when learning the controls of my MP...
2018-1-4
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

My advice is to buy a set of prop guards ......  
2018-1-4
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I don't have the patience to fly in beginners mode. Way to slow for me. Good luck with your trade-in
2018-1-4
Use props
cannabenoid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97274 ft
United States

Mari Posted at 2018-1-4 09:49
... some advice.... when you get a new drone, don't fly in your backyard, find a spot that is a little larger with no trees...  that's what I did, when learning the controls of my MP...

I definitely agree with this. My first few flights were horrible, but when I took it to a large open space in the hills, I could fly around at 150ft and not worry about crashing while still retaining LOS. Best of luck.
2018-1-4
Use props
Jp6940
lvl.2
United States

One of the managers of the sams is my neighbor...at first he said to contact squaretrade.  When I mentioned I only had it out twice and it was only a few weeks old he said just return it and get a new one...
I think I am good and may get a new one.  I appreciate everyone’s advice.  I am very excited but also very paranoid.
So many questions...
Where can I find a very in depth setup guide?
Start to first flight-gimbal calibration, setup, app update, drone update, etc....
I would rather be very cautious than crash my new drone.  
2018-1-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

In depth is mostly obtained by experience and lots of reading here on the forum.  Start slow, stay close, and learn the ins and outs of controlling it.  Master the controls and fly slow.  Don't do any calibrations unless the software tells you to.  It used to be recommended to calibrate everything.  Experience has taught us it is seldom needed.  Mine hasn't been done yet (a year) and no problems with it.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am sorry for the crash, since the drone was damaged, please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules