Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1 year with my P4P+ (progress report)
1198 8 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D. Brent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
United States

One year – a little over a year to be exact. My Phantom 4 Pro+ has survived an Eagle attack, a couple take-off flips and one intense crash faraway from where I was controlling and yet, it's still flying incredbily well. Only frustrating – to the point of not looking forward to it, is the Firmware upate process. Incredibly unreliable experiences.

What I've learned:
  • I'm giving myself at least five minutes setup time before taking flight.
  • Scope the surrounding area for birds, big birds! In Australia we have a very large bird variety and population. I can't recommend this highly enough.
  • Purchase either binoculars or a Monoscope – scoping not for the things you can already see in a distance, but the things such as thin wires or cabling that took down my drown.
  • Purchase tough, sturdy boots, such as Danner. These give me the confidence to stand wherever I want to fly my drone, and would you know it. When I crashed my drone in the middle of a cow paddock climbing old wooden fence and high wet grass – my boots were perfect for such rural terrain.
  • The downside to the P4P+ or any Phantom I assume is the size. It's a drone that is best for driving with or have a planned shoot in mind so you don't walk around all day with it, as I did in Bangkok hoping I might find a good location to shoot and fly.
  • I am suffer from anxiety, and I am amazed the impact flying my drone has on me. Flying my drone is a creative experience as much as a theraputic exercise. I guess it's the combination of complete concentration and enjoyment.

What I would like / recommend to DJI:
  • Improvement on the tracking of a crashed drone. I used the map on my RC to find my P4P+ however, it was sending me in circles. The closer I got to the icon indicating where my drone was located, suddenly the icon appreared behind me??
  • Detachble lens for the Phamton Pro series drones. Inspire is out of my price range unfortunately
  • If possible. Some or any kind of weather seal. Would love to fly and take photographs in light rain.
  • A sensor that sends a harmless electronic wave or 'something technical' in the air to scare of birds. <---- Don't bash me for this! just a suggestion similar to what divers and surf board riders have for detering sharks.

Happy New Year fellow pilots!

2018-1-5
Use props
boykintom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124656 ft
United States

Good post with helpful information and good suggestions!
2018-1-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Denmark

Thanks for share your experience !!
2018-1-5
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great post! A couple of your suggestions I had not thought about especially the boots one, I should probably wear my boots instead of sneakers (or even worse, barefoot - I'm a hillbilly and darn proud!)
2018-1-5
Use props
eman_vg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Have you only owned the P4P?
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some really good points here - thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
2018-1-5
Use props
D. Brent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-5 12:44
Have you only owned the P4P?

yes. In the near future I'll get a Mavic Pro
2018-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Bird assaults are actually very rare, annoying seagulls strikes aside. I'm flying all my drones exclusively within eagles and other predators territory, never been harassed or chased away so far.

Any of add-on's from your wish list will increase the price and sacrifice flying time. It is what it is, and for the money it does miracles, one must agree.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Brent, thanks for your suggestions. Regarding the flying in light rain, it's a cool idea, but I'm afraid that
there will be a long way as water damage is still the biggest potential for all drones. Appreciate your attention.
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules