Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Remote Sticks bent from Fly More Bag
3329 33 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Hi!

I just realized that both my remote sticks are slightly bent (out of the neutral center position). Obviously the storage in the included fly more bag has damaged them :-(

Its a bit sad because now i found out that its a really common issue and there are many third party products to avoid it. Would have been nice if this plastic cover had been included in the fly more combo, cant be expensive.

What can be done now?
Is it dangerous?
Can it be fixed? (does DJI fix it free of charge?)
Will it "bend back" with the protector over time?

Thanks!
2018-1-4
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Sorry to hear that.  I use the same bag exclusively for a year and have had the same concerns - so I'm very careful when inserting the RC and check the stick calibration regularly.  It the sticks are only bent slightly, you should have no problems continuing to fly.  The concern would be that stick calibration isn't damaged.  If the sticks will still zero and pass calibration, then it may be only a matter of thumb-position discomfort.  Will it bend back? - doubtful, but if it's not bent badly, I'd just keep flying.
2018-1-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sorry to hear that. FWIW I put the RC into the bag with it's back parallel to the front of the bag, thus keeping the joysticks in the middle of the partition, not touching any of the sides.
2018-1-4
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

How long was it in the bag before you noticed it? so others that have that same bag will know when to keep an eye on it.
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buy the PGYTech RC stick protector as it also covers the screen and is so good that DJI sell it on their on line store. Try doing a remote control calibration within the app (just turn on the RC and leave the AC turned off to do it). This will show you how out of synch the sticks are and the cal may repair some of the damage. If badly bent then you need to raise a ticket with DJI support or simply buy a new remote and link it with the your drone.
2018-1-4
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I had to glue the 5 position switch button back on, on one of my RC's. I have 2 Mavics so i know they can be delicate. I didn't know the control sticks were that delicate though....
2018-1-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just bend it back with some pliers
2018-1-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Let's get this straight.  The sticks themselves are actually bent???  Or have the springs weakened, allowing the sticks to rest in a non-centered position?  I find it hard to believe that those sticks can bend.  Are they the early ones that were removable, or the ones that are not?  I didn't get the Flymore package, so I don't know what the clearance is or isn't.  My case seems to be perfectly dimensioned to allow the sticks to not be moved from center.  We had lots of discussion about the possibility of losing spring tension a year or so ago, but it eventually died out.
2018-1-4
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-4 13:48
Sorry to hear that. FWIW I put the RC into the bag with it's back parallel to the front of the bag, thus keeping the joysticks in the middle of the partition, not touching any of the sides.

Thanks, i just tried that and it seems to be working. Also i have ordered the protector plastic part on amazon.https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-1-5
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-4 13:25
Sorry to hear that.  I use the same bag exclusively for a year and have had the same concerns - so I'm very careful when inserting the RC and check the stick calibration regularly.  It the sticks are only bent slightly, you should have no problems continuing to fly.  The concern would be that stick calibration isn't damaged.  If the sticks will still zero and pass calibration, then it may be only a matter of thumb-position discomfort.  Will it bend back? - doubtful, but if it's not bent badly, I'd just keep flying.

Hi!, No they wont bend back into the center position by themselves, i have to do the calibration test.

Generally i can only advise anyone who uses this bag, either buy a protector or do as @ex machina suggested.

If you simply use the bag this will certainly do damage to your remote.
2018-1-5
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-4 15:42
Let's get this straight.  The sticks themselves are actually bent???  Or have the springs weakened, allowing the sticks to rest in a non-centered position?  I find it hard to believe that those sticks can bend.  Are they the early ones that were removable, or the ones that are not?  I didn't get the Flymore package, so I don't know what the clearance is or isn't.  My case seems to be perfectly dimensioned to allow the sticks to not be moved from center.  We had lots of discussion about the possibility of losing spring tension a year or so ago, but it eventually died out.

Yes, its the springs. Sorry if the description was a bit confusing.
2018-1-5
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

I use one of these with no issues

https://www.ebay.com/i/272627895005?chn=ps
2018-1-5
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

jreynolds5 Posted at 2018-1-5 03:42
I use one of these with no issues

Yes, exactly.

I wish DJI had included this into the fly more package.
2018-1-5
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

I had the stick protector before i had my mavic lol I ordered both at the same time.
2018-1-5
Use props
AJAX1413
lvl.1
United States

Good warning for those without stick protectors
2018-1-5
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

The stick protector should be part of the fly more combo.
2018-1-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

JohnnieTheCache Posted at 2018-1-5 02:55
Yes, its the springs. Sorry if the description was a bit confusing.

I'm not sure if anyone has had a better idea since your response to me, but I would think that if the springs are stretch enough to feel the weakness in that direction, or especially enough to rest in a non-centered position, that they should be replaced.  After having it fixed, I would buy one of the stick guards that keep them centered, even with pressure on them.  This is the first case of stretched springs I have read about, but it is something many of us wondered about last year.  Can you post a pic with the controller laying flat on a table and show offset of the levers? (just for illustration)
2018-1-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

The problem is, once the springs are stretched, they need to be replaced.
2018-1-5
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

So glad that I have one of the early versions with removable control sticks. It made complete sense from day one, if you compress or stretch a spring  Ver an extended period of time, it WILL become a permanent issue. And now it has.
2018-1-5
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

@DJI Admins

can you please tell me if this damage is covered by your warranty?
I bought the Mavic fly more combo last August.

P.S. i also moved from CH to DE in the meantime. Yesterday I read here that DJI warranty is only valid in the country of purchase, is that correct? I know for Apple products its possible without problems.

2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, may I have a picture of the RC? I would like to check. Please upload to Dropbox and PM me the link. And for your question about the warranty, if you purchased the drone in another country, you might need to send the drone back to the local repair center for applying the warranty. warranty.png
2018-1-7
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Hello,

thanks for your response. See the picture below, the stick is off center towards the bottom of the RC / left side of the photo.
If you can give me an estimate of the local repair charge, i can decide if this is an option.

If i pay EUR 13,- international mail to send it to the country of original purchase, will DJI send it back to me?

It would be nice if DJI helps, since this damage was not caused by any user error. I just put it into the original bag.

2018-1-7
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-7 02:25
Hi sir, may I have a picture of the RC? I would like to check. Please upload to Dropbox and PM me the link. And for your question about the warranty, if you purchased the drone in another country, you might need to send the drone back to the local repair center for applying the warranty.[view_image]

Hello,

i posted the photo, as requested.

Any news?
2018-1-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

That photo shows that the stick is not properly seated in the hole (yours appears to be removable, like mine).  So, is the hole worn to the point where it isn't tight?  Or is the hole stretched or coughed out?  Something is not right in your picture, as the stick does not come straight out of the ball.
2018-1-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

Upon heavy zooming of your image, it appears that the stick pulled so hard that it has actually distorted the hole in the ball!  That needs to be fixed by DJI (from what I see, and in my opinion).
2018-1-10
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Hi! like i wrote above, all i did was store it in the fly more combo bag. There has been no hard pulling or dropping etc going on here.

I now know that it is not without reason that there are tons of plastic protector caps for these sticks on the market, because you must put them on to avoid this problem. If you want to use the fly more bag. Or you buy a third party case. None of this is my fault though.
2018-1-10
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

There are 3d printed stick covers to prevent this.. £4 from ebay
2018-1-11
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Krevvy Posted at 2018-1-11 00:23
There are 3d printed stick covers to prevent this.. £4 from ebay

thanks, i already bought some.

Still waiting for the reply from the DJI Admins

You asked for a picture, i post it, no response?
2018-1-11
Use props
gfab71
Second Officer
Flight distance : 492874 ft
  • >>>
Italy

And if the bag was a little wider ??
Is really too narrow and reduced to easily contain Mavic and radio control without any issue ..
It was made specifically to carry Mavic, remote control and accessories,
should not give these problems ...
I also bought it, but I noticed immediately
this problem and I bought the PGYTECH protector for sticks.
2018-1-11
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

unfortunately i was not so smart.

I expected that especially the fly more combo is a ready-to-use package.

If additional protectors are required, DJI must tell buyers.
2018-1-11
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

You don't need DJI to tell you....it's pretty clear and common sense the first time you try to put the controller in the bag that the sticks get stressed.

Would of been nice to include the stick protectors but at £4 from eBay it's hardly a major outlay
2018-1-11
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

well, if its common sense and so obvious:
why the heck don't they include this 2ct plastic piece in the 1.5k€ fly more combo?
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

JohnnieTheCache Posted at 2018-1-10 12:36
Hello,

i posted the photo, as requested.

Johnnie, I am terribly sorry for the late reply due to the long days off. I will confirm this with our engineers to see if there is anything you can do to correct it. Btw, does it influent the performance of the drone?
And for the estimated local repair fee, our local team will make a damage assessment and send you the quota when we receive the RC, if there is a need, you can refer to the accessory inquiry on the official website. https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
If you need to send the drone to the original repair center, after repairing, we will need to send the RC to a local address, if you have friends in that country, you can send the RC to them and ask them to help to send to DJI and send back to you.
2018-1-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing that -- picked one up and it works great.
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules