US Pilots: FAA UAS Remote Tracking - Does This Worry You?
3110 20 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I decided to do the right thing and register my Mavic this morning. As I was looking over the FAA website, I can across this article:

FAA Releases UAS Remote Tracking & ID ARC Report

I'm not trying to be an alarmist or anything, and I still have more to read on it. Just wondering where this will lead... It all starts with registering our aircrafts. Before you know it, they know everything about us.

Comments? Thoughts?
2018-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

In your Mavic as it stands now, you have the option to allow your RC ID you can choose to have it turned off or on , you can also choose to input information regarding your flight.

So will it become compulsory, I think we might see a rule asking or telling us to have this turned on in certain areas particularly areas under ATC , will it be intrusive , I think if your flying under your rules it won’t be a problem in fact if it is a case that ATC can contact you regarding safety issues that might be coming your way that would be a good thing, if say for instance you have permission to fly in controlled airspace you should let ATC know when you are going to fly and when your going to finish, they will be able now to monitor this now, this is a good thing.

Regarding flying information and FAA being privy to this, you can always fly using dji pilot app and no data regarding your flight wil be recorded.

I myself believe the more we can integrate with avaition and the more safety measures that are in place, then this will result in more freedom to fly.
I know there will be many that will have opposing views, but for me regulation brings things into line it gives the public the assurances that drone flying is regulated and makes them less fearful of these drones, which will be good for everyone.
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The CIA and FBI know “everything about you” whether you own a drone or not. Fly safe and you’ll have nothing to worry about.
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Meaningless if there is no one to oversee the program.  All federal administrations are currently understaffed due to cutbacks.
2018-1-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Follow the rules and you don’t have any thing to worry about.
2018-1-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, unless your not following a simple set of rules... you have nothing to worry about.  
2018-1-4
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I thought this was interesting. ....  the data is already being used and available. .

2018-1-4
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Seems they have more to worry about than drones flying inside the USA as they can't seem to find a way to stop them from flying into the USA https://www.washingtontimes.com/ ... 24-tw#1515075869295
2018-1-4
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

I tend to agree with flying safe, following the rules and you have nothing to worry about...

But what about all the data they're collecting? How's the going to be used? By who? How's it going to be protected?

Anyone remember the Equifax data breach this year? Were you following the rules? Do you have anything to worry about? Even DJI had a security breach.

Oh wait, didn't Homeland Security just have a security breach?

I don't know about nothing to worry about...

2018-1-4
Use props
Howdy2u2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1886 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is already too late to worry about what information anyone has about you, you gave it (your info) up years ago basically. Have a cell phone? Loan of any type? Credit Card? Checking account?
How's it going to be protected? <sarcasm on> It will be encrypted by the best methods known in the history of data collection<sarcasm off> Protected any more means not too much referring back to the Equifax breach and all the others who also got breached. There are probably some who still do not even know they got breached yet. Your only option right now is to go off the grid....oops too late they know who you are....DO I like it ...nope.... already had issues with the Equifax crap but at this point in time there is not much anyone can do, call your congressmen? BAHAHAHAHAHA they have a different agenda than we do.
2018-1-4
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think the UAS registration requirements are well-intentioned and sensible - manned aircraft, of course, fall under a bewildering array of similar requirements and most of those are generally accepted by the aviation community and industry. There are various classes of aircraft types with their own registration/inspection/etc. requirements for both the aircraft and the pilot; even if they're onerous, they generally were implemented by FAA ultimately because somebody flew an airplane into the ground. So I don't think there's anything unexpected going on and that UAS pilots will experience anything extraordinary.

Of course, as usual, the FAA has reached the barn to close the door long long after the horses have left, found new owners, lived long and fruitful lives and died happy. So their actions are, also as usual, a little bit overreactive as they try to get a handle on flight operations that have already been ongoing for years and they didn't realize the public was even flying these things until long after you could pick them up even at BestBuy....
So I wouldn't worry about it or think there's anything nefarious going on. It's just the FAA trying to get its head around UAS operations and do their job on it. They're not perfect and will screw up a bunch of stuff, but in the end there's no apocalypse coming that I can see
2018-1-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

2 things, don’t ever update anything again and fly in airplane mode.also don’t let your quad or tablet ever connect to the internet while it’s running....
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-1-4 10:11
I thought this was interesting. ....  the data is already being used and available. .

Yes & no...the data would need to be relayed to a Aeroscope receiving device(s) (i.e.antenna(s)) then uploaded to a subscription based software service in order for it to be used.  Now I don't know about your municipality, but there is definitely no budget in ours to place 100+ receivers throughout the town, pay for the service and hire someone to track a bunch of toy drones.
2018-1-4
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-4 12:56
Yes & no...the data would need to be relayed to a Aeroscope receiving device(s) (i.e.antenna(s)) then uploaded to a subscription based software service in order for it to be used.  Now I don't know about your municipality, but there is definitely no budget in ours to place 100+ receivers throughout the town, pay for the service and hire someone to track a bunch of toy drones.

This is a mobile system ... why would the town need 100 + receivers  ??
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-1-4 13:12
This is a mobile system ... why would the town need 100 + receivers  ??

I apologize for not watching the video...I based my knowledge off of the DJI press release from last year.  Take note in the article that the word receiver is used in the plural form multiple times.  More over it's only valid for DJI products.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ack-airborne-drones
2018-1-4
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-4 12:56

Here's what the FAA is proposing:

• The FAA should consider two methods for remote ID and tracking of drones: direct broadcast (transmitting data in one direction only with no specific destination or recipient) and (2) network publishing (transmitting data to an internet service or group of services). Both methods would send the data to an FAA-approved internet-based database.
  • The data collected must include a unique identifier for unmanned aircraft, tracking information, and drone owner and remote pilot identification.
  • The FAA should promote fast-tracked development of industry standards while a final remote ID and tracking rule is developed, potentially offering incentives for early adoption and relying on educational initiatives to pave the way to the implementation of the rule.
  • The FAA should implement a rule in three stages, with an ultimate goal that all drones manufactured or sold within the United States that comply with the rule must be so labeled. The agency should allow a reasonable grace period to retrofit drones manufactured or sold before the final rule is effective.
  • The FAA should coordinate any ID and tracking system with the existing air traffic control system and ensure it does not substantially increase workloads.
  • The FAA should exempt drones operating under air traffic control or those operating under the agency’s discretion (public aircraft operations, security or defense operations, or with a waiver).
  • The FAA must review privacy considerations, in consultation with privacy experts and other Federal agencies, including developing a secure system that allows for segmented access to the ID and tracking information. Within the system, only persons authorized by the FAA (e.g., law enforcement officials, airspace management officials, etc.) would be able to access personally identifiable information.

2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-4 13:25
Here's what the FAA is proposing:

In other words, they (FAA) have a lot of work to do.  You're talking about a Federal Agency that is probably under staffed and IMO really doesn't care about a bunch of toy drones. They put out a bunch of guidelines and request that we pay our $5 to register. I can think of a more minimalist approach.  Mind you I am registered, have my # on all my platforms and follow the guidelines most of the time.  I'm not just drinking the same FAA Kool-Aide that some of  Part 107 licensed folks are drinking.   I use my Inspire 2 occasionally to make a few extra $ and NO I am not licensed.  Nor do I ever intend on getting licensed, I have enough useless certifications (i.e. Microsoft, SAP, etc.).
2018-1-4
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-4 13:19
I apologize for not watching the video...I based my knowledge off of the DJI press release from last year.  Take note in the article that the word receiver is used in the plural form multiple times.  More over it's only valid for DJI products.

Lol hey that's fine I didn't  even know the system existed  until seeing the youtube video a few days ago ......  the fact that you read the DJI press release  puts you one step ahead of me ....
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-1-4 13:37
Lol hey that's fine I didn't  even know the system existed  until seeing the youtube video a few days ago ......  the fact that you read the DJI press release  puts you one step ahead of me ....

Its all cool...most of my rant was copied and paste from a comment I made on another forum.
2018-1-4
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

No. I don't worry about it, I don't plan on flying where I am not suppose to.
2018-1-5
Use props
Pepere
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2792 ft
United States

Locoman Posted at 2018-1-5 10:51
No. I don't worry about it, I don't plan on flying where I am not suppose to.

With all the gun regs bad guys still get them.  If someone wants to weaponize a “toy” drone they will do so without being tracked by the FAA
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules