Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to take a timed shot?
14209 15 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookie22
Flight distance : 53930 ft
United States

I've had my DJI Spark for a week now and am absolutely amazed with the quality of the quad. It's really quite amazing for the size and price. One thing I can't figure out is how to set a timer on the photos. I'd like to take a shot in the AEB mode, but I'd like to be able to have it delayed by 3-5 seconds so I can put the remote away and be in the shot. Is this not possible with the current software?

Thanks

Here's my favorite shot so far from the Spark:

2018-1-4
Use props
Vyborny83
Second Officer
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

FYI ... AEB mode serves a different purpose. It is ment to be a workaround on how to make "HDR" pictures. You shoot three images shortly after each other with different exposures and then use a photo editor to merge them in one with better dynamic range. It is useful when shooting images with both very dark and bright areas. As to a timed shot, I am not sure the Spark has such function, but perhaps someone else can help with that ;).
2018-1-4
Use props
Cookie22
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-4 10:26
FYI ... AEB mode serves a different purpose. It is ment to be a workaround on how to make "HDR" pictures. You shoot three images shortly after each other with different exposures and then use a photo editor to merge them in one with better dynamic range. It is useful when shooting images with both very dark and bright areas. As to a timed shot, I am not sure the Spark has such function, but perhaps someone else can help with that ;).

Thanks. I'm well aware of what AEB mode is for. I want to be able to get that dynamic range, but I want the Spark to wait to take the shots until I can get in the frame. As far as I can tell, that isn't possible.
2018-1-4
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Cookie22 Posted at 2018-1-4 10:42
Thanks. I'm well aware of what AEB mode is for. I want to be able to get that dynamic range, but I want the Spark to wait to take the shots until I can get in the frame. As far as I can tell, that isn't possible.

Cookie22, I think it's got what you want already in the firmware. Confusing, 'cause the manual I've got (v1.6) refers to it as "Interval Shot" while I think the current DJI Go 4 app refers to it as "Timed Shot." At least it appears that way in a YouTube video I found; dunno what version of the app he was running, but it was fairly recent as it included the newer 180 pano feature.

In any case, you get to it by bringing up the (still) camera controls, then select the center control tab/icon (the one that looks like just a camera, in-between the shutter icon to its left and gear icon to its right.

Anyway, the options you can then select are:

Single Shot
Multiple
AEB
Timed Shot
Pano

Select "Timed Shot" and the available options presented are:

2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 60 seconds (presumably that's the delay time until the shot gets taken). That should give you plenty of variety and time to get yourself in frame and set up however you like for the shot.

Haven't (yet) tried this personally, so YMMV! Hope this helps.

Note, however, that it doesn't look like you can select an AEB shot AND a timed shot. Mebbe in future FW? I see no reason the feature couldn't be provided - wait out the timer and then snag the multiple AEB bracketing shots.

Joe
2018-1-4
Use props
N8m888
First Officer
Flight distance : 80535 ft
United Kingdom

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-4 11:54
Cookie22, I think it's got what you want already in the firmware. Confusing, 'cause the manual I've got (v1.6) refers to it as "Interval Shot" while I think the current DJI Go 4 app refers to it as "Timed Shot." At least it appears that way in a YouTube video I found; dunno what version of the app he was running, but it was fairly recent as it included the newer 180 pano feature.

In any case, you get to it by bringing up the (still) camera controls, then select the center control tab/icon (the one that looks like just a camera, in-between the shutter icon to its left and gear icon to its right.

My understanding is that the timed shot function is for creating time lapse videos.
You select the time between pictures, that is 2 seconds, 4 seconds or what ever , and the drone will continue to take pictures at the designated intervals until stopped.
You can then take your batch of pictures into what ever post processing programme you use to create your time lapse.
2018-1-4
Use props
Lee Moon
First Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

Would you be able to accomplish this by setting up the camera in AEB mode and then putting the Spark in Gesture mode and using the Selfie gesture?
2018-1-4
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

N8m888 Posted at 2018-1-4 12:12
My understanding is that the timed shot function is for creating time lapse videos.
You select the time between pictures, that is 2 seconds, 4 seconds or what ever , and the drone will continue to take pictures at the designated intervals until stopped.
You can then take your batch of pictures into what ever post processing programme you use to create your time lapse.

I suspect you're probably right - that most likely is exactly what it's for. Although you could also prolly "force-fit" it to serve the purpose of waiting n seconds before getting the first shot, then you can simply cancel the remainder of the series. Again, no personal experience (yet), just devouring manuals, online vids (good and bad), and getting some first initial tentative (and super-conservative) flights under my belt.

Thanks for pointing out your observation.

Joe
2018-1-4
Use props
Cookie22
United States

Thanks all. In my version of DJI Go 4 (4.1.22 on Android), the timed shot option takes photos at certain intervals, as N8m888 described. I don't see a way of combining the timed shots with AEB mode. I haven't tried doing the gesture mode to trigger the shots though. I'll definitely give that a try.
2018-1-4
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Cookie22 Posted at 2018-1-4 13:19
Thanks all. In my version of DJI Go 4 (4.1.22 on Android), the timed shot option takes photos at certain intervals, as N8m888 described. I don't see a way of combining the timed shots with AEB mode. I haven't tried doing the gesture mode to trigger the shots though. I'll definitely give that a try.

That's certainly a good thought - please let us know if it works. Would be a nice one to add to the ever-growing great shots bag o' tricks!

Joe
2018-1-4
Use props
Firehawk989
First Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

But can't you just set up the shot with you already in it, and then snap the photo with the controls on the phone/RC? If you're trying to be stealthy about holding the remote while being in the photo, can't you just hold it out of view of the camera, or stuff it in your jacket or something along those lines?
2018-1-4
Use props
Cookie22
United States

I just had a chance to test it, and I can confirm that if you put the drone in AEB mode, THEN turn on gesture mode, doing the selfie hand gesture will take a photo in AEB mode. That works for me.
2018-1-5
Use props
Lee Moon
First Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

Cookie22 Posted at 2018-1-5 15:12
I just had a chance to test it, and I can confirm that if you put the drone in AEB mode, THEN turn on gesture mode, doing the selfie hand gesture will take a photo in AEB mode. That works for me.

Awesome! I'm glad that worked for you.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, it doesn't support the combination of the timed shot and ABE, so when you select one, other fours are unavailable. Thanks.
2018-1-7
Use props
Cookie22
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-7 01:07
Hi there, it doesn't support the combination of the timed shot and ABE, so when you select one, other fours are unavailable. Thanks.

You're right. I just downloaded the photos and there's only one shot there. It looks like, despite showing AEB on the screen, when it's in gesture mode it only takes a single shot. I guess there's not a way to do what I want currently.
2018-1-7
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Cookie22 Posted at 2018-1-7 07:57
You're right. I just downloaded the photos and there's only one shot there. It looks like, despite showing AEB on the screen, when it's in gesture mode it only takes a single shot. I guess there's not a way to do what I want currently.

I can't see any reason it couldn't be done (with a FW and/or app update, of course), as well as other combos that would greatly extend the utility of the various modes that presently exist.

Is there any way to officially submit a feature request (or suspected bug) to DJI? For the Spark, of course!...

Joe
2018-1-8
Use props
djiuser_vrVO0N9P9jQE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 433 ft
India

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-4 11:54

In any case, you get to it by bringing up the (still) camera controls, then select the center control tab/icon (the one that looks like just a camera, in-between the shutter icon to its left and gear icon to its right.

hi .. i am not getting any of the options you mentioned .. i have latest updated app, still .. i am interested in shooting interval shots but not able to .. can you guide ?

2020-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules