Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Repair Experience and information needed
2100 5 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

My Osmo Mobile is just out of warranty (1 year, 1 week old). As luck would have it, I now have some gimbal problems.

The roll gimbal has some slight resistance and is "sticking" enough to make the horizon go askew. The unit gets very little use and is treated with kid gloves. I'm very disappointed that a problem like this can happen with light use.

I contacted the service phone number. Waste of time - they directed me to the website to initiate a repair ticket.  It took a while, but I made it through the forms. Kept getting error messages in Chinese and it formatted my address in a weird way.  Finally got to the summary page and a shipping label.

Here's where I'm a bit confused.

The person on the phone told me that I would be contacted after receipt of the unit with a cost for the repair (if it was my fault). DJI would repair for free if it was a defect. I'm not sure he heard me when I told him I was out of warranty. When I asked if I didn't want to pay the repair amount, I was told the unit would be returned to me at no charge.

However, the online form indicated that if I decided not to have a repair done, there would be a $65 service fee. Oddly, it said that cost applied to "aircraft."

To resolve this contradiction, I went to online support chat. There, I was told the $65 service fee only applied to aircraft - Osmo cost was different. Unfortunately, they wouldn't tell me what the Osmo service fee is. Apparently, it's some sort of secret. So that’s three different answers from three different DJI sources.

Despite this being (IMO) a unit defect, I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount. There does come a point where repair doesn't make sense. Considering this unit is failing after light use, it would make more sense to buy something else (that might last a little longer) rather than pay $100 or more to fix this one. That means they could hold my Osmo for $65, $100 or more “ransom” if I don’t want to have the repair done.

I don’t think it unreasonable to ask for a range of costs, or to know what the non-repair service fee might be, or under what circumstances it might be applied.

Has anyone sent in an Osmo Mobile for service? Can you provide a ballpark cost of a repair?
Does anyone know what the "service fee" is if you decide not to have a repair done? If there anything official from DJI stating this amount?

2018-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jrm, we are so sorry for the confusion caused, according to the After-Sales Policy, if no fault is found and no component needs to be replaced after diagnosis, or the issue is fixed after reconfiguration, no service fee will be charged for the products under warranty. A one-hour labor and return shipping fee will be charged for products out of warranty. service fee.png
The service fee is not just for aircraft, it includes every step in the repair process, like check-in the package, damage assessment, quotation, repair, test, quality evaluation and so on.
I apologize for the different answers you got from our support, may I have your contact number and the email account you used to contact our support? We will learn from this and keep improving our customer support to make you have a better experience in the future, thank you.
2018-1-4
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-4 19:11
Jrm, we are so sorry for the confusion caused, according to the After-Sales Policy, if no fault is found and no component needs to be replaced after diagnosis, or the issue is fixed after reconfiguration, no service fee will be charged for the products under warranty. A one-hour labor and return shipping fee will be charged for products out of warranty.[view_image]
The service fee is not just for aircraft, it includes every step in the repair process, like check-in the package, damage assessment, quotation, repair, test, quality evaluation and so on.
I apologize for the different answers you got from our support, may I have your contact number and the email account you used to contact our support? We will learn from this and keep improving our customer support to make you have a better experience in the future, thank you.

Mindy,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the question.

Like the web page, you mention "aircraft." The Osmo does not fly. Is the "service fee" $65 as indicated for "aircraft." Or is it a different number as indicated by customer support? If a different number, what exactly is that one-hour service fee? Why is it a secret?

The web page also states there "might" be a fee for out of warranty service. Why "might?" When does the fee apply?

Is there any way to get a ballpark number for replacement of the roll gimbal? I know for a fact there is a problem with it (I can hear the metal rubbing). While a full replacement may be more or less than the fix needed, some sort of cost range would allow me to decide if it makes sense to send it in for service.

Right now, DJI is asking me to send in the unit and agree to pay an unknown amount simply to provide a quote for a repair - whether or not they find something wrong or agree it can be fixed.
For not much more than $65 (assuming that is the number) plus return shipping cost (still leaving me with a still defective unit), I could buy a brand new unit from another manufacturer, that will most likely last longer than this unit has. If that is the fee for doing nothing, it is safe to assume an actual repair would cost more, potentailly even more than buying a brand new Osmo.

Why is the service fee for Osmo and its application such a secret?
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

jrm11 Posted at 2018-1-5 04:51
Mindy,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the question.

Hi Sir, we apologize if we didn't make it clearly about the service fee in our webiste, we will forward to appropriate department to make it more precisely.
Service fee is different according to different product, please check on the screenshot below.
service fee.png
And we said ''A one-hour labor and return shipping fee will be charged for products out of warranty'', it is ''will'' instead of ''might''.The invoice will be sent to you after damage assessment and please refer to the price below before you send in, you can check more info here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry Appreciate your understanding.
price.png

2018-1-6
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I will suggest you to talk to any local DJI dealer about repair first. Since you are talking to some real people you will be getting better service and response. If you check the forum here, you will find that there is a lot of issues when you have to send in something to DJI. Eg. transportation time, your repair may become replacement of a refurbished unit, you would still be charged somehow if you do not agree with the costs and get it returned.
2018-1-6
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
United States

Okay, so the service fee is $65. Both the person I spoke with on the phone (no charge) and the person in chat (not $65, only for aircraft) were wrong.  

It would seem the cost for a gimbal motor repair will be at least $84 ($65 service fee + $19 part) PLUS return shipping (unless the repair service fee is in addition to the "damage assessment, check-in, etc. service fee) . Close to $100., and the problem is likely to happen again. For about $20 more I could get a brand new unit from a different brand that probably won't  have this problem. For $159, I could buy a refurb Osmo mobile (with a battery)... but that will probably die just as the warranty expires.

Thanks for, what I hope is,  the clarification on costs. It is definitely not worth it for me to pursue the repair option. Perhaps I can find someone local that has their act a little more together.

I'm really disappointed in the unit. To have a problem like this with the minimal use it has received is inexcusable.
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules