Smart Powercharge
14683 55 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dale.kaechler
lvl.2

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-23 00:20
mani wrote "I am afraid it might interfere with their business, as this is a real competitor to thei ...

How would they even know what charger you are using?
2015-4-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

dale.kaechler@s Posted at 2015-4-28 00:45
How would they even know what charger you are using?

The battery has firmware, which means it has a processor.  It records tons of information about when it was charged, what issues it experienced, etc., etc.  Your guess is as good as mine as to what data it captures, if any, about HOW it was charged.
2015-4-27
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-28 01:18
The battery has firmware, which means it has a processor.  It records tons of information about wh ...

Agreed Pete.  My thinking is that if you have a 26 volt rail, it should charge via the onboard battery charger.  However, it's unbeknownst to me how much current the battery will actually draw when connected to a rail with higher current.  

Right now, it's all speculation - I'll post my findings when I receive the unit.  
2015-4-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

dmytchak Posted at 2015-4-28 02:32
Agreed Pete.  My thinking is that if you have a 26 volt rail, it should charge via the onboard bat ...

Yes, you WOULD think the battery system itself would regulate its own current and take what it needs, rather than rely on the fact that the factory-supplied power supply is anemic.  It's not a regulated-current supply, just one that's underpowered for the amount of current the battery actually wants.
2015-4-27
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

For what it is worth, my SPC4500 is supposed to ship shortly.  Once I have it, I will post how it performs here.
2015-5-16
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been enjoying the SPC4500 Charger.  Works as advertised.  I've discharged and charged 4 batteries along with my iPAD and 2 controllers all at the same time.  Pretty convenient.  Fan can be a little noisy so not a good idea to put it where you want to watch TV (like I did ).  but I'm certainly happy with it.
2015-6-26
Use props
chris91111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290197 ft
United States

dmytchak Posted at 2015-4-27 11:32
Agreed Pete.  My thinking is that if you have a 26 volt rail, it should charge via the onboard bat ...

Did you ever get your unit and post review?  I tried a search for more info, but didn't see it.
2015-8-28
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

I have purchased this charger and can report it is an awesome product in every way. Prior to its purchase and after the latest firmware update I had messages on three of my batteries indicating they needed to be cycled from 5% to 100% and that their flight time would be affected until I did so. I tried doing so twice without success until I read on another forum I needed to fly just above the ground until csc. I did manage to do so but holding the stick up enough to keep the craft a couple inches off the ground waiting for it to quit is a bit unnerving. I was successful on one battery but was very happy that the other two batteries were done simply by hitting the deep cycle button on the smartpowercharger. The ease that it charges everything necessary including the iPads, it's ability to deep cycle, and the lack of a half dozen wires and plugs along with the extended life of expensive batteries makes it absolutely worth the price of admission. The only issue anyone who is able to purchase this will have is the jealousy of those who don't have one.
2015-8-28
Use props
linelock
lvl.1
United States

We purchased one of these to keep up with our battery rotation when in the field for our fleet of Inspire 1's.

In a word . . . Awesome!

Fit/Finish = 10

Functionality = 10

We like these so much were buying 4 more, one for each service vehicle as they are each outfitted with a generator which means we never have to wait on batteries.

Awesome Product!

2015-9-9
Use props
andrebetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 304065 ft
United States

I have the Inspire version and it's wonderful. Built like a tank and has been flawless so far. I have 8 5700ah batteries and love being able to charge 4 at a time.
2015-9-10
Use props
fluxkompensator
lvl.1

Germany

linelock Posted at 2015-9-10 09:42
We purchased one of these to keep up with our battery rotation when in the field for our fleet of In ...

When you power the smart charger on and there are batteries in the trays, does the charging automatically start? Or do you have to push a button?

I would like to use a simple timer switch to start the charging automatically..

Thank You!

2016-4-12
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

fluxkompensator Posted at 2016-4-12 07:06
When you power the smart charger on and there are batteries in the trays, does the charging automa ...

Yes it starts automatically. Whether they're already docked or you just drop them in when powered up charging is automatic.
2016-4-13
Use props
CloudChaserCT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8031880 ft
United States

I have the SPC4500 Smart PowerCharger for my Inspire 1's, use it daily to deep cycle and to quickly charge 4 Batteries @ a time, which is very helpful owning 10 TB48's. Ive never had any issues with it, and have kept my Batteries with perfect health with over 30 charges each. Plus able to charge both Remotes, and 2 iPad mini's all at the same time which makes it completely worth every dime. Very well made, pure quality, not to mention their support if needed is 5 star.

Very Simple to use, turn it on, drop a battery in, starts automatically and shuts off the bay when finished. For Deep Cycling, Power on Charger, Power on Battery, press the Red button on the Charger till the Red Light comes on, and drop the battery in, the charger will discharge to 20.0 Volts which is 3.33 Volts per-cell. Automatically starts to recharge them to 100%. Can do 4 Batteries at a time.. Very nice.

There will be a new Firmware Upgrade for it that will allow recharging your batteries into storage mode, I've spoke with PowerCharge about when the FW will be released, and its in testing, soon to be released.
If i had to buy another one i would, they're really worth the money....
2016-4-14
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

I know it's been awhile since the last post. I'm contemplating purchasing one of these chargers and I've been reading all the comments. Just curious to know how some of you are powering the charger while in the field. What size battery and inverter? Generator? Thanks.
2017-3-10
Use props
CloudChaserCT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8031880 ft
United States

a_ambrose Posted at 2017-3-10 12:41
I know it's been awhile since the last post. I'm contemplating purchasing one of these chargers and I've been reading all the comments. Just curious to know how some of you are powering the charger while in the field. What size battery and inverter? Generator? Thanks.

Don't have any need to power it at the field, its a very rugged unit but really not meant to go outside,  much better to charge all of your batteries prior to flight. I have 10 TB48 Batteries which last me the day. You really want them to cool properly before charging. So in all honesty, you need more batteries. But the Smart Power Charge for Inspire 1 has been great. Still going strong since i bought mine when they first came out well over a year ago. Also have the upgraded firmware to allow Storage Discharging, Storage Recharging, Full Discharge and Recharge, or just Full Recharge.
2017-3-23
Use props
SJB Group
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53346 ft
United States

Bringing back an old post to see if anyone who has this, has upgraded the firmware? Someone above mentioned that they had an update to include a storage mode, and I am very interested in this. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from the company.

We have used these in the field, two of them, powered by a Harbor Freight Predator inverter charger. $499.99 (close to the $1000 Honda one) and it works great. Powercharge said it was important to have a pure sine eave inverter type charger, not a regular (and cheaper) generator. Hope this helps someone.
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules