ND Confusion solved
1351 14 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chole
lvl.2

Japan

All I knew about before was only solid ND filter this blog solved all the confusion nice one  ND Filters
2018-1-5
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Cool thanks for sharing
2018-1-5
Use props
Chole
lvl.2

Japan

ND confusion solved

All I knew about before was solid ND filter this blog solved all the confusion nice one ND Filter Guide
2018-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good information thanks for sharing
2018-1-5
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Similar kind of post that's pretty decent: https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... s-polarpro-filters/

I've got the Polarpro set of six for my Mavic and have just started using the app. I'd really recommend using it!
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good info to share
2018-1-5
Use props
AJAX1413
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for this!  Just bought ND filters because a lot of reviews mentioned them... This helped me understand why LOL.  
2018-1-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing the link. Looks like a very informative post.
2018-1-5
Use props
gobama84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7608 ft
United States

Great Info.  Thanks!!
2018-1-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! My ND filter set for my P4P arrived yesterday so this was great timing!
2018-1-5
Use props
fans9553217f
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Spain

I have seen the blog and I suggest you do your homework before wasting your time using the filters. Using a drone to capture stills or video is no different than for normal still or video cameras. Go to a proper photography site and pose your question about nd filter use, there. You will soon realise that the need for an nd filter on a drone is very rare indeed. Get advice from real photographers. By the way, the blog mentions adjusting the aperture. Mavic and phantom drones have a fixed aperture so on that key issue, the blogger is talking rubbish. Regarding the depth of field issue, that is proof the person knows nothing about filters and drones. See how close you have to be to an object with tha aperture the drone has and its angle of view (focal length) . You will see from that the blogger knows nothing.
2018-1-5
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

As a photographer first, drone pilot second, an ND filter is a necessity when it comes to filming video with the Mavic Pro. Because the Mavic pro has a fixed aperture we need the ND filter to lower our shutter speed to stay within the 180 rule for shutter and frames per second (basically shutter should be double the frame rate, 24fps = 1/50th shutter speed.)  However, photography is a different story because we don't need to follow the 180 rule. I would say the majority of images I see from drones are landscapes and the ND filter will not help in this case as the shutter speed can be anything and the image will look the exact same. If you want to capture motion with the Mavic, let's say a car on a road and you want the image to show a sense a speed, a slower shutter is needed and thus an ND filter is needed to get the right speed. I would, however, prefer to adjust aperture (Like on the Phantom) first before adding an ND filter to properly expose the shot for the desired look.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing, Chole!
2018-1-7
Use props
Chole
lvl.2

Japan

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-7 20:30
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing, Chole!

Welcome Susan
2018-1-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans9553217f Posted at 2018-1-5 11:15
I have seen the blog and I suggest you do your homework before wasting your time using the filters. Using a drone to capture stills or video is no different than for normal still or video cameras. Go to a proper photography site and pose your question about nd filter use, there. You will soon realise that the need for an nd filter on a drone is very rare indeed. Get advice from real photographers. By the way, the blog mentions adjusting the aperture. Mavic and phantom drones have a fixed aperture so on that key issue, the blogger is talking rubbish. Regarding the depth of field issue, that is proof the person knows nothing about filters and drones. See how close you have to be to an object with tha aperture the drone has and its angle of view (focal length) . You will see from that the blogger knows nothing.

' You will soon realise that the need for an nd filter on a drone is very rare indeed.'

This is silly statement because you are not differentiating between shooting photos or video. For photos an ND is not necessary, but for video it absolutely is necessary, but not in all countries. Some countries are much brighter than others (northern hemisphere in particular). Here in Australia an ND16 filter is almost always required when shooting in sunny conditions.

To another point of yours, Phantom 3 models have fixed aperture, the Phantom 4 Pro has a variable aperture.

Fitting an ND is one thing, learning which one to select and using it properly is another.
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules