Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
uweneumeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2172717 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey fellow pilots,

Does DJI provide any official safety data sheet for their batteries? It would make travelling with Gimbal and drones much easier.
In my case it’s my Inspire 2 which has to travel with all other camera equipment to Thailand, by air cargo,  but the batteries must be taken out and have to be carried in the hand luggage. Also the batteries of the Ronin habe to go into hand luggage. Absolutely ridiculous. Any advice??
2018-1-5
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Thefollowing is based on FAA information from September 2016, some airlines have their own regulations, check in internet. I have never had a problem, just the occasional test for explosive substances.

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/rechargeable-batteries.htm
2018-1-5
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

If the rest of your equipment is traveling AIR CARGO, that is to say NOT on a passenger plane, then the batteries can be packed separately, with the correct warning labels and travel with the other equipment.  
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Uweneumeister, like Dockater said, each airline has their own regulations, please kindly confirm with them before your travel, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks for your understanding.
2018-1-6
Use props
Patanegra
New
Flight distance : 13346 ft
Portugal

Hello.

Getting back to this: doesn't DJI have any safety data sheet you can provide?

Thanks.
2020-1-6
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I flew for many jobs around the world with dji and other LiPo's.
The batteries have alle needed information printed on them.
As long as you transport sub 100WAh you should not get into troubles. So TB47,TB50 are ok.

Safety control teams are pretty aware of the laws these days. A couple of years back they were scared when they saw 26, 6cell wired batteries in the x-ray screen at once
In some countries they never saw a drone before. I had talks from a basic security guy up to bomb squad members. But always got my batteries on the plane.

Here are some tipps I collected from the past 9 years transporting LiPo's in a airplane.

• Check that all your batteries are sub 100WAh
  • Check if at the final destination there are any drone specific rules. (A lot of drones are getting confiscated at Dubai airport and stay there until you exit the emirates. There are 1000 of rules troughout the countries these days)
  • Understand and print the rules for your destination country and even better also for all the transfer destinations and carry them with you
  • Plan additional time at the airport (4h are gone fast in exotic countries and their funny police system. It takes time till the Regional Police captain finishes his nap)
  • Talk to the airline in advance and try to get a written permission (They won't always send you one)
  • Print out the IATA rules for LiPo batteries to show then if they don't know them
  • Tell the security personell at the x-ray in advance that you transport batteries. They will be happy to know in advance
  • Always be calm if security personel is unsure or believes you are transporting illegal chemistry. Try to educate and not to overrule them.
  • Be sure your hand luggage does not exceed the allowed weight, or the will have a easy argument for pulling out the batteries

If you follow these rules you will be fine at any place.
2020-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules