Drifting Event filmed with Mavic Pro
1766 28 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Looking for some feedback, What should I work on to improve? Also are there any tips for maintaining focus with the Mavic when filming fast moving objects? I feel like a few of the shots have a soft focus. Thanks!  

2018-1-5
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

Dude that's a wicked video, and one that's hard to fault! In regards to focusing, the only thing I can suggest is to use manual focus only, roughly at the focal point. An easy way to determine your focused subject is to first use auto focus, tap on the objects you wish to be focused, then once focused switch to manual focus. I know with fast moving objects this is hard, which is why if you focus at the focal point, the majority of subjects should be sharp. Also consider using ND filters. This allows you to slow the shutter speed, giving a more cinematic effect (blur effect). General rule is if you are shooting at 25fps, then adjust the shutter speed to 1/50s. ND filters help with this. Google "180-degree shutter angle rule" for more on this. But as for your video - it's brilliant.
2018-1-5
Use props
W.Cordes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138793 ft
United States

Nice Work.
2018-1-5
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

No comments on focus - I didn't really notice whatever "soft" spots you mentioned.  Did you use active track at all?  I haven't yet used "spotlight" mode, but that may have been effective at keeping a car in frame for longer periods.
2018-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome really really nice.
2018-1-5
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

Nice ending hehe
2018-1-5
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Tango_B Posted at 2018-1-5 16:19
Dude that's a wicked video, and one that's hard to fault! In regards to focusing, the only thing I can suggest is to use manual focus only, roughly at the focal point. An easy way to determine your focused subject is to first use auto focus, tap on the objects you wish to be focused, then once focused switch to manual focus. I know with fast moving objects this is hard, which is why if you focus at the focal point, the majority of subjects should be sharp. Also consider using ND filters. This allows you to slow the shutter speed, giving a more cinematic effect (blur effect). General rule is if you are shooting at 25fps, then adjust the shutter speed to 1/50s. ND filters help with this. Google "180-degree shutter angle rule" for more on this. But as for your video - it's brilliant.

Thanks, Tango. I  was using auto focus and focus peaking is turned on. maybe I'm just looking at other videos and they seem way sharper than mine. And an ND filter is always on for that 180 rule.
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Thanks, Cordes!
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-5 16:49
No comments on focus - I didn't really notice whatever "soft" spots you mentioned.  Did you use active track at all?  I haven't yet used "spotlight" mode, but that may have been effective at keeping a car in frame for longer periods.

I didn't use any IFM. It's really hard to do at an event when you aren't directing the cars you are just reacting to them. Also, I haven't really been happy with results of any of the tracking flight modes. Maybe I need to experiment more. but I feel like I have more precise control with manual flying.   
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-5 17:00
Awesome really really nice.

Thanks, Woe.
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Always end with a bang haha  
2018-1-6
Use props
Shoot It WA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3576476 ft
Australia

Nice video! Pretty hard to critique, if I was really picking on it I'd say maybe a few of the shots were a bit jerky, you could fix that by shooting 4k from a little bit further back and focusing on keeping a smooth shot of the car then cropping in closer in post.
What mode were you shooting in and did you colour grade the footage at all? I've found shooting D-log and using Motion VFX M-lut to grade has been really good.

That last shot was a bit sad, hope it didn't do too much damage.
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Shoot It WA Posted at 2018-1-6 09:01
Nice video! Pretty hard to critique, if I was really picking on it I'd say maybe a few of the shots were a bit jerky, you could fix that by shooting 4k from a little bit further back and focusing on keeping a smooth shot of the car then cropping in closer in post.
What mode were you shooting in and did you colour grade the footage at all? I've found shooting D-log and using Motion VFX M-lut to grade has been really good.

Thanks, Shoot it WA. It was shot in 4k. a few of them are cropped in, but not all. But, great point I should consider this while shooting instead of just trying different things with the footage in post. I did color grade the footage slightly, I wouldn't say I'm really happy with it, Colorgrading is my weakest skill I would say. If I remember right, I was in D cinelike. I've been going back and forth between that and D-log. I haven't decided on a favorite yet.

And yea the last car was ok he was out on the track again shortly after.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool video!
2018-1-6
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Thanks, A CW!
2018-1-12
Use props
Pekik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995397 ft
Indonesia

Great video, maybe just involve a bit variation on lower altitude of the mavic in some of the corner to make more dramatics, like closer to the moving car. Really great video
2018-1-13
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Pekik Posted at 2018-1-13 01:01
Great video, maybe just involve a bit variation on lower altitude of the mavic in some of the corner to make more dramatics, like closer to the moving car. Really great video

Great advice thanks! I'll give it a shot next time.
2018-1-17
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Difficult to criticise that ... you chose a hard target, fast moving and kept most of not all in focus. My favourite video so far.
Dare I say ... typical BMW driver there at the end!   
2018-1-17
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-17 08:18
Difficult to criticise that ... you chose a hard target, fast moving and kept most of not all in focus. My favourite video so far.
Dare I say ... typical BMW driver there at the end!

Thanks for the kind words. I am not a BMW driver so I won't comment on your statement. (But I agree. haha)
2018-1-17
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

cool video. no criteque just a suggestion to look at goggles. i like to chase speed boats - the goggles takes this game onto a whole new level. In a post below you say that nd filters are on - it seems you should play around a bit more cause with nd filters and proper use you should get better colors?
2018-1-17
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

awesome video, great job filming that, not easy!

the BMW driver at the end went way overboard with the e-brake on that one! lol
2018-1-17
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Nice... BMW what can you say...!!! But no Scooby
I was just waiting for Ken Block to crash the party  
2018-1-17
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-17 12:39
cool video. no criteque just a suggestion to look at goggles. i like to chase speed boats - the goggles takes this game onto a whole new level. In a post below you say that nd filters are on - it seems you should play around a bit more cause with nd filters and proper use you should get better colors?

I've never considered goggles. I have been looking into the Crystal Sky though. I was under the impression ND filters alone don't (shouldn't) affect color. But, ND + Polarizers will give better color/contrast if the filter is rotated correctly and sun angle is correct? Also, my color correction skills aren't the best in my opinion.
2018-1-17
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

ny300z Posted at 2018-1-17 13:44
awesome video, great job filming that, not easy!

the BMW driver at the end went way overboard with the e-brake on that one! lol

Thanks! Yea, he was a little over eager to impress someone I'd say.
2018-1-17
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-17 14:06
Nice... BMW what can you say...!!! But no Scooby
I was just waiting for Ken Block to crash the party

There were plenty of BRZ's. But there weren't any AWD monsters. I'll look for a rally or gymkhana event to film next time! haha
2018-1-17
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-17 14:46
I've never considered goggles. I have been looking into the Crystal Sky though. I was under the impression ND filters alone don't (shouldn't) affect color. But, ND + Polarizers will give better color/contrast if the filter is rotated correctly and sun angle is correct? Also, my color correction skills aren't the best in my opinion.

i got a cheap set of nd filters (no polarisation) and definately they make a huge differance - i am finally getting the first image where the colors are good - i never do any post processing.
2018-1-17
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-17 14:49
There were plenty of BRZ's. But there weren't any AWD monsters. I'll look for a rally or gymkhana event to film next time! haha

When I lived in CA(98/01), Foresthill, Sierra Foothills, before the snow got to deep, and they closed the snow gate I used to take my Imprezza up to the local Snowmobile staging area/trails, now that was fun, probably could have got cited.??. Locals thought I was crazy. Wish I had video/drone back then.
2018-1-18
Use props
Dremundo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Just gotta say bravo.... was this is in sport mode, even if it wasnt your control is awesome on the sticks, why not try another video and post for us to see after all the comments?  Look forward to more of your work!
2018-1-18
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Dremundo Posted at 2018-1-18 13:04
Just gotta say bravo.... was this is in sport mode, even if it wasnt your control is awesome on the sticks, why not try another video and post for us to see after all the comments?  Look forward to more of your work!

It was a mix of normal and sport mode. And thanks. I will be filming and posting more once the season kicks back off again. I have some plans for canyon road shoots and others coming soon that I'll be posting.
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules