Reason for 8 Channels - Right from DJI Support
12Next >
7138 59 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

To comply with laws and regulations governing the flight of remote controlled or unmanned aircraft, and in cooperation with relevant authorities, the latest version of the DJI Pilot app limits users to the use of ISM channels 13 to 20 only. Approval granted by the relevant authorities is required for other channels to be used.

In view of the complex nature of these channels, please do not fly in areas near wireless routers, base stations, high voltage power lines, or high-powered installations, as various types of interference may exist in these areas. When flying in such areas, the wireless link may become unstable, the transmission distance may be shortened, and the image transmission may be intermittent. Under serious circumstances, errors may occur to the transmitted data, causing the aircraft to lose control. Under the worst circumstances, the electronic systems of the aircraft might be interfered with and malfunction, leading to a serious crash.

Because the transmission distance can be affected by rain and mist, obstacles, interference, and the differences in the status of channels at various locations, we are unable to guarantee the exact transmission distance in all situations. The 1.2 mile (2km) maximum transmission range is the maximum range as tested in an open area without any detectable interference.

Due to the nature of channels to fluctuate and change over time, when channels are selected manually, it is impossible to avoid certain incidental interference signals. Therefore, it is recommended that the automatic mode is always used. In automatic mode, the status of each channel is monitored constantly and the optimal channel for image transmission is selected in real time.

I'm not knowledgeable in Frequencies so if anyone can comment it would be good to understand where DJI is coming from.

2015-4-21
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

"please do not fly in areas near wireless routers, base stations, high voltage power lines, or high-powered installations, as various types of interference may exist in these areas..."

Hmmmm... I seem to have left my wireless router / base station / high-powered installation detection kit in an alternate reality somewhere.  So in other words, due to the reduction in available channels our risk of malfunction due to interference just increased substantially, and for most of us there is no way to evaluate the risk.  Lovely.
2015-4-21
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 01:11
"please do not fly in areas near wireless routers, base stations, high voltage power lines, or high- ...

Pete, That's exactly what I thought.  I'm also wondering how on earth can FPV developers such as Sky Zone ship a 32 Channel 5.8Ghz Transmitter/Receiver into the US/Canada and other countries, when DJI can only ship an 8 channel unit.

Before my update, I had 32 channels and was completely stable. Now I'm afraid to fly it. After the update, my unit is behaving oddly.
2015-4-21
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 01:11
"please do not fly in areas near wireless routers, base stations, high voltage power lines, or high- ...

Hahahahahaha!! Nice!
2015-4-21
Use props
cucubogdy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75223 ft
United States

budnikasr Posted at 2015-4-22 07:40
Pete, That's exactly what I thought.  I'm also wondering how on earth can FPV developers such as S ...

My firmware updates went ok everything checks fine except that im not getting video uplink ( No Signal ). Some time I will get it for a few seconds rarely for a few minutes then it drops out. Every other aspect of the camera/gimbal works fine I can take pictures and videos but I just cant see the live uplink. Anybody had similar issues? I had no problems before so Im not incline to think that is a hardware issue. Looks like the channel limit might be the issue. Will have to test fly in other more remote area!
2015-4-21
Use props
tgif9623
lvl.2

United States

cucubogdy Posted at 2015-4-22 09:18
My firmware updates went ok everything checks fine except that im not getting video uplink ( No Si ...

I had this same problem. Reinstalling the app fixed my issue
2015-4-21
Use props
cucubogdy
lvl.2
United States

tgif9623@comcas Posted at 2015-4-22 09:43
I had this same problem. Reinstalling the app fixed my issue

I did that also, cleared data and cache , uninstlled and reinstalled app still no fix. Im using the same note 3 from the beginning. Did you do anything else special?
2015-4-21
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I don't have the problem cucubogdy describes when flying with a single controller.  However when flying DUAL controller - myself and a camera operator - the camera operator's signal often drops out.  This makes it very difficult to do good work.  As I understand it, the slaved controller operating the camera isn't talking directly to the Inspire - it's connecting to the pilot's controller.  With the pilot and camera operator standing only a few feet apart, obviously it's not a signal strength issue.  I'm hoping it gets fixed in the next revision, because it's forcing us to work primarily in single-controller mode even though we have a dual-controller system.
2015-4-21
Use props
Monkeyking
lvl.2

China

Hahaha, DJI's lawyer got some bill able hours on that one for sure....
2015-4-21
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 10:14
I don't have the problem cucubogdy describes when flying with a single controller.  However when fly ...

OK good to know that I am not alone. I have asked about this issue before and the only response I got from DJI is that it should not be happening. When I asked for more detail, like usual the conversation ended. I don't even bother with the second controller any more... Does your signal strength also get weak on the master when you are using both?
2015-4-21
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

To comply with laws and regulations governing the flight of remote controlled or unmanned aircraft, and in cooperation with relevant authorities, the latest version of the DJI Pilot app limits users to the use of ISM channels 13 to 20 only. Approval granted by the relevant authorities is required for other channels to be used

So maybe DJI tell us how many channels we are permitted to use, where and how we get the restrictions lifted if permitted?

DJI :@
2015-4-21
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

interesting topic.  And, zero feedback from DJI.  I've noticed similar behaviour in most user-created thread.
2015-4-22
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

budnikasr Posted at 2015-4-22 07:40
Pete, That's exactly what I thought.  I'm also wondering how on earth can FPV developers such as S ...

Simple - Because it is not illegal to sell or to own an illegal transmitting device.

It is only illegal to use it!
2015-4-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Marktho1 asked "Does your signal strength also get weak on the master when you are using both?"

Yep.  Sure does.  The only time I EVER lose connectivity between the Inspire and the master controller is if the second controller is in use, and then it's often.  Weak signal, no signal, signals that drop and return - the whole system becomes unreliable when the second controller is in use.  And this seems to follow the firmware revision that restricted the number of available channels.
2015-4-22
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-22 17:44
Simple - Because it is not illegal to sell or to own an illegal transmitting device.

It is only i ...

Sorry  Mark, I don't mean to be argumentative, but that makes no sense. I pulled my owners manual from ADT, large security company, right and they installed a 5.8Ghz 32 Channel Security Camera system in our offices that are tied into the alarm and fire monitoring system. I can use my ipad and monitor everything from home.

So you're suggesting a large security company like ADT is installing equipment that is illegal for me to use?

Can you expand because I just had a long conversation with our rep and they said he's never hear of such a thing.

Thanks
2015-4-22
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

budnikasr Posted at 2015-4-23 00:57
Sorry  Mark, I don't mean to be argumentative, but that makes no sense. I pulled my owners manual  ...

They probably did but the DJI Inspire control link and FPV use 2.4Ghz not 5.8. The 5.8 link is exclusively reserved for communication between dual controller set ups and adheres to 802.11n protocols so limits channel bandwidth to a maximum of 20Mhz.
2015-4-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 20:11
Marktho1 asked "Does your signal strength also get weak on the master when you are using both?"

Yep ...

HELLO DJI!! I am not alone... Please chime in here and let us know if this is normal... Do we have defective controllers or is there something else that may be causing this issue? HELLO? DJI? hello???
2015-4-22
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

The pains of being first adopters. Wait, was there not Phantoms before us? Why must we take steps backwards DJI? HELP US HELP YOU.
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

I don't have the problem cucubogdy describes when flying with a single controller.  However when fly ...

Peter, and Mark,

Can you describle more details of the weak signal?  Blurred video feed?
Make sure you choose the best channel.
I'll suggest you to change the order of Master and Slave. Still same problem?
2015-4-22
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

I recommended checking the 2 cables that go from the top of the camera mounting into the body of the Inspire 1. Take a small screwdriver or toothpick and insure that the connectors are seated. I was losing video signal to my main controller during flight but the inspire was recording video perfectly on the SD card. I pushed down on the connectors with a small screwdriver and video transmission problems went away!

I hope this works for you.

Cheers
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-22 15:28
So maybe DJI tell us how many channels we are permitted to use, where and how we get the restricti ...

If you got adequate permission, you can contact us to see whether it is possible.
Without a spefic ocassion I cannot judge the possibility.
2015-4-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-4-23 09:50
Peter, and Mark,

Can you describle the manifestation of the weak signal?  Blurred video feed?

The times I tried it I chose the best signal. this signal was perfect with one controller. As soon as I hooked up the second controller the distance I could fly was significantly reduced by more than half. The video feed on both controllers starts blacking out. If I try to fly any further the screen goes black and green... Without the 2nd controller I can fly out over 1000 ft. With the 2nd controller on I can only get about 150-200 feet away (from the exact same location)... I have not tried reversing the controllers yet. I will try tomorrow and see if the results are different.
2015-4-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Autumn wrote:

In my case when using only a single remote, everything works fine.  When adding a camera operator with the second remote, the video signal often drops (the display either freezes or goes to a blue screen) to that second remote's iPad and sometimes to the primary remote's iPad as well.  There will also be a text warning of a "Weak Signal" above the display.  This ONLY happens when flying in dual-remote configuration - but it has happened every time we haev flown that way.  Yesterday the camera operator's iPad crashed to a black screen and rebooted (staring with the white Apple logo) while this was happening (mine did not crash).  Very unnerving when the Inspire is 30 feet above ground some distance away from us and we're not sure what effect it will have on operation.
2015-4-22
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

kirk.pleasant Posted at 2015-4-23 09:54
I recommended checking the 2 cables that go from the top of the camera mounting into the body of the ...

I never had any issues prior to all the updates. Camera operator never had an issue. Once we performed all the updates immediately the problems were visible. Choppy, grainy, laggy, video and then most of the time dropped signal and this is standing 8-10 feet apart. Didn't have a crash that would jar the unit to the point the cables would come loose.
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Mark,

It's unusual, I agree. Change the order can hardly solve the control distance decrease problem.
I suggest you to test this and take a video tomorrow, use a single remote, fly out about 1000 ft, then connect to the Slave controller, see whether there is a weak signal warning in app.
If you replicate this issue, pls show me the video.

And could you pls also take pictures of  serial codes of both controllers?
Thanks.
2015-4-22
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-4-23 09:50
Peter, and Mark,

Sorry DJI-Autumn, when you say choose the best signal, how can you seriously tell us this  when you only have 8 to pick from and when the red line is jumping from channel to channel you cannot pick a specific one. When I had 32 channels, I was on auto, and 2 weeks ago got my second controller. Hooked my iPad mini 2 to it and the video was lagging and choppy. I contacted support and they helped me by telling me to pick a custom channel. I found the strongest one and it was perfect. Camera operator had no issues. Now after the updates that's all we get is dropped signal. It is the difference of a day, from good to bad. Today I contacted online support the the person on the other end didn't even know that the two controllers communicate at 5.8Ghz. When I asked for suggestions they didn't even know that the channels dropped to 8. What kind of support do you call that?
2015-4-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-4-23 10:38
Mark,

It's unusual, I agree. Change the order can hardly solve the controll distance decrease probl ...

looks like rain tomorrow but I will be back with a video soon. THX
2015-4-22
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-23 05:18
They probably did but the DJI Inspire control link and FPV use 2.4Ghz not 5.8. The 5.8 link is excl ...

Hi Mark, Thanks for the clarification. I guess my fear is that between the 2 frequencies and that DJI is always changing things not always for the best, my unit is a, useless if the camera operator cannot get a clean signal and b, if there is a potential conflict that DJI has discovered and has actually created more problems. My unit since the update is flying erractically since the updates.
2015-4-22
Use props
cucubogdy
lvl.2
United States

Mark,

It's unusual, I agree. Change the order can hardly solve the controll distance decrease probl ...

I cant even get one controller to receive video feed, Ive tried every channel one by one nothing. Some time I will get a bit of video for about a few second and then a no signal. I can fly the inspire well but I cant operate the camera blind. Can we go back to the previous firmware just so we can pinpoint that this is in fact a firmware issue? Im not a newbie at this RC stuff Ive been flying for some time now. Im kind of getting frustrated with DJI . To much invested to just gather dust. WE NEED A SOLUTION!
2015-4-22
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1903835 ft
United States

I've been having the same problems for a while with dual controller flight.  The second controller is almost unusable in some instances and makes it unreliable for my camera operator.  I'm planning on contacting Dji support about this.  I'd been hoping it was just a fluke, or that the firmware updates would have helped.
2015-4-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark,

Uploading video now
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-23 10:06
DJI-Autumn wrote:
In my case when using only a single remote, everything works fine.  When adding a ...

Did the video signal problem happen frequently with the Master? You can also change the order of Slave and Master to see whether it's a RC problem or Air End problem.
But blue screen is a camera issue. So i am afraid that you need to send it back for investigation.
Sorry for this.
2015-4-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark,

It's unusual, I agree. Change the order can hardly solve the control distance decrease proble ...

Here is a video I just shot. My flight distances with both controllers were a little better tonight than normal but you can see the issue here:
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-23 13:23
Here is a video I just shot. My flight distances with both controllers were a little better tonigh ...

Thank you Mark.
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

budnikasr Posted at 2015-4-23 10:41
Sorry DJI-Autumn, when you say choose the best signal, how can you seriously tell us this  when yo ...

Sorry for this my friend. But we make this change to comply with laws and regulations. We care about our customers, so we'll see what we can do to optimize it.
And I've shared your unexpected exprience within our team as a reminder. We r trying our best to improve.
2015-4-22
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi

We appreciate your input and letting us know that you are still there and care about your customers.  

But we make this change to comply with laws and regulations. We care about our customers, so we'll see what we can do to optimize it.

Could you post up the laws and regulations that you refer to?  

2015-4-22
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-23 15:19
Hi

We appreciate your input and letting us know that you are still there and care about your custom ...

These will be the specific laws governing EIRP, frequency allocation, modulation and band width per channel allowable in any particular region for unlicensed transmitting devices on 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz. There   are very strict laws governing g the different rf frequency spectrums.
DJI is simply trying to adhere (and make sure the end user adheres) to these laws.

2015-4-23
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-23 16:27
These will be the specific laws governing EIRP, frequency allocation, modulation and band width per ...

Agreed Mark. I'm well aware there are specific laws and regulations detailing freq, modulation and bands being a HAM operator and my occupation also ensures I must be
I'm also educated enough to understand DJI commitment to the law. So unless you have the information to what DJI are quoting or officially represent DJI your post only states the obvious. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: I'm faily confident they are correct by the way However these obviously vary through the world (to a degree).

2015-4-23
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Autumn wrote:
Did the video signal problem happen frequently with the Master? You can also change the order of Slave and Master to see whether it's a RC problem or Air End problem.

It only happens in dual controller mode, never with the master controller only.  You can imagine perhaps that I would be reluctant to reverse the controllers' roles.  If it is a hardware problem with the controller used for the camera, and I make that controller the master, and experience control problems leading to a crash, I risk that not being covered under warranty (and even if it IS covered under warranty, we have seen the 4-6 week turnaround time, which is unacceptable).
But blue screen is a camera issue. So i am afraid that you need to send it back for investigation.

Well... this brings us nose to nose with that serious problem.  DJI did not plan properly and failed to design an appropriate service network in advance.  As a result, sending a unit back "for investigation" means being without it for up to two months, and without adequate communication about what is going on.  We purchased the unit because we had projects to shoot with it - we are not prepared to be without it for a month or two.  So the problem DJI has created by failing to have local or regional service facilities with quick turnaround (a week, or two at the very latest) is that people like us who do not have a fatal problem that takes the Inspire out of the sky will feel that we CANNOT take the time to get service.  But because that too is unsatisfactory, it makes us angry.  Angry people give a company a bad reputation which harms its sales.  For this reason DJI MUST work quickly to remedy this problem and make its customer base happy.  Otherwise it will lose its business to competitors.  From what I have seen I am not sure the company yet realizes how severe this problem will become, or how serious its effects can be, if not quickly remedied.  In this part of the world, a poor level of service can put a company out of business.

Let me further emphasize that I am not saying this to be mean or unpleasant.  DJI is a Chinese company.  Its senior management may not fully understand American culture.  Americans are merciless with companies that do not provide excellent service after the sale.  In 30+ years in business I have seen company after company ruined when they did not take this into account.  DJI is a wonderfully innovative company that has produced some groundbreaking products, but if it does not promptly conquer its service network and spare parts issues, most consumers will know it only as a company that provides poor after-sale support and will not want to purchase its products.  For those of us who want to see DJI succeed and continue to innovate, that would be a tragic outcome.  We hope the company takes heed - quickly.

With that said, the problem does not appear to actually be a camera issue since the camera never does this UNLESS both remotes are being used.  Even in dual-remote configuration, when the problem occurs, it is only visible on the remotes and is not recorded to the MicroSD card.  So this has specifically to do with the remotes and the way they interact in dual configuration, rather than the camera.  It also appears to have become a problem after the firmware upgrade in which the number of available channels was reduced.  Additionally we are hearing similar reports from others (for instance, note HeadOn's report earlier in this thread that dual-controller mode is unusable for him as well), which increases the appearance that this is related to firmware and is not an individual problem with our specific Inspire.  I would love to rule that out, but not by taking our equipment out of operation for up to two months,

2015-4-23
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

You do V.O.?
2015-4-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules