Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stress Cracks on P3P - What Would You Do?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iFlyMyDrone.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

My 2 year old P3P has stress cracks under one of her arms. This presents several potential solutions. If you were me, which of these choices would you choose?
Single SelectVote, Total 34 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

It is common item for DIY repair and as long as caught early - is easy and long lasting.

Its not worth IMHO having DJI replace the shell ... too many reports of replacement shells cracking as well.

Why spend out a lot of money on another machine when the repair is easy and costs cents ?

Your Poll is missing : 6. Repair shell as most others do

Nigel
2018-1-6
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-6 11:43
It is common item for DIY repair and as long as caught early - is easy and long lasting.

Its not worth IMHO having DJI replace the shell ... too many reports of replacement shells cracking as well.

Thanks for your input, Nigel. Actually, the DIY choice is listed first. Perhaps you missed it. I found one source for the P3P shell for $60, but that is moot because they are out of stock.

Actually, I watched a 40 minute YouTube video this morning on replacing the shell. One of the first things that the maker of the video said is that he rates the difficulty of replacing the shell as an 8 on the scale of 10. From what I saw on the video, I would agree with his assessment. And, along the way, he damaged some wires while removing the old shell and had to repair those too. It is not an easy DIY project.

TC
2018-1-6
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

repair yourself if you have the skill.
2018-1-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-6 12:08
Thanks for your input, Nigel. Actually, the DIY choice is listed first. Perhaps you missed it. I found one source for the P3P shell for $60, but that is moot because they are out of stock.

Actually, I watched a 40 minute YouTube video this morning on replacing the shell. One of the first things that the maker of the video said is that he rates the difficulty of replacing the shell as an 8 on the scale of 10. From what I saw on the video, I would agree with his assessment. And, along the way, he damaged some wires while removing the old shell and had to repair those too. It is not an easy DIY project.

The most difficult part is getting the clips to release to separate the shell.  Beyond that it is just a bit of tedious work.  Keep your screws in order!
2018-1-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Send that bad boy in, but take the large risk of receiving an exact replica in the post. ;-)

Seems much easier for DJI to simply return you a refurb' unit, in leu of...

I would buy the extra shell and keep it on ice, until you really needed to exchange them, yourself.

Damned if you do, but damned if you don't.  Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I read about 18 months ago that reducing the brake speed on the P3P reduces the chance of cracks forming as minimises the stress on the motors - I flew mine hundreds of times before upgrading to the P4P and never had any cracks. As RHP said I would send it back.
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-6 12:08
Thanks for your input, Nigel. Actually, the DIY choice is listed first. Perhaps you missed it. I found one source for the P3P shell for $60, but that is moot because they are out of stock.

Actually, I watched a 40 minute YouTube video this morning on replacing the shell. One of the first things that the maker of the video said is that he rates the difficulty of replacing the shell as an 8 on the scale of 10. From what I saw on the video, I would agree with his assessment. And, along the way, he damaged some wires while removing the old shell and had to repair those too. It is not an easy DIY project.

You misunderstand ... I mean repair the OLD shell as most people do ...

Why would I spend out good money for a new shell - knowing that later I will have same again ...

Better to spend about $5 for PlastiWeld and sort out myself

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-7 12:49
You misunderstand ... I mean repair the OLD shell as most people do ...

Why would I spend out good money for a new shell - knowing that later I will have same again ...

Got it. Now, I understand what you suggest.

TC
2018-1-7
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I agree with nigel fix it yourself
2018-1-7
Use props
Nebicaneser
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-1-7 17:18

Agreed !!
2018-3-5
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-7 14:52
Got it. Now, I understand what you suggest.

TC

I agree with Nigel too, but I have made numerous comments about repairing several of these phantoms and I actually will take a new shell and reinforce that area around those motor mounting bosses and bolt holes before swapping everything. I have been thru just swapping out for a new shell only to have the crack come right back. Waste of time in my opinion. I have had very good results this way and it seems to strengthen up those flimsy arms. Repairing your old one is fine too as long as the cracks aren't too bad. For me, spending $50-$60 for a new shell and then prepping it up with whatever you want to use (epoxy, glue, etc.) is well worth it. Those motor supports also give some additional support and are super cheap.
2018-3-5
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

superglue the cracks
2018-3-10
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

timbo Posted at 2018-3-10 05:08
superglue the cracks

Be careful with Super Glue ...... normal over counter CA is not plastic friendly with many types of plastic ....

Better to get MEK (Plastweld) - this is a plastic solvent that modellers use .. a thin paint brush to lightly apply and it 'welds' the joint.

You can actually 'melt' plastic into a thimble of MEK and use that as a paste.

Nigel
2018-3-10
Use props
fans9808ad38
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2717 ft
United States

I found out that this is a known issue. I found out that this was the reason they changed motherboard and motors..Found it out when I wrecked mine and had buy a new motherboard
2018-3-10
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

We should ask Brian Boitano!
2018-3-10
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-1-7 17:18

I agree with Nigel and Hellsgate, I have seen items inside damaged, that unless I opened it  up, would have gone  unfixed!
Unless you are all thumbs, give it a try.
Slow and easy, don't get in a hurry!
2018-3-10
Use props
Danneboyyyy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 664882 ft

Hi!
I don't know how big your cracks are but if I was in your position I would glue them with a super glue or something like that and if it continues to crack i would buy a new shell and replace it on my own.
2018-3-30
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

self repair
2018-4-28
Use props
Martcrop
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Actually I think a point has been missed.  My original P3 Advanced had the dreaded cracks develop so I bought a new DJI shell and did the replacement myself.  So careful not to over tighten the screws but after 40 flights the cracks developed again.  The aircraft has never had any rough landings or crashes.  My analysis of these cracks as a surface scientist is that they develop in the main from the stress and vibration of the motors causing fatigue cracks to occur.  Having replaced the shell myself and this happening again it is apparent to me that the plastic and or shell has a design problem.  Therefore in this situation at the start of this survey I would also have asked the question," Do you think DJI should replace the shell free of charge?"
2018-4-29
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just had 10 flights over Christmas, and the cracks appeared......

https://imgur.com/gallery/wEC0mGc

With the drone not being made any more the shells are going to be rare quickly.
I bought it for Christmas about 2 months ago - which means I can't even send it back for a refund! (1  month returns policy in the UK, anything after that they can just repair).

So now I've got an extra battery with around 7 charges on it, and a drone I want to sell but with cracks - I'm going to suffer a heavy loss on eBay.

Jeez - I had no idea the shells were so bad - AND it's happening with the Phantom 4's as well? With Gatwick's issue right now, and Military involvement the UK's going to be rubbish to fly in this year. I hope not!

For now though - I'll stick to my £45 drone with optical flow lol, ironic that it's had MORE uptime than my Phantom actually did, and it has no cracks.

I'm very upset with DJI. A fundamental materials issue like this going on for so long? How are they managing to stay popular when the drones cost so much?

I took one experimental 5 shot HDR image over some clear car parking space, but that was all:    https://imgur.com/gallery/E5i1t8C

The "Point of interest" looks a great feature for 3D modelling. I wonder what the Mavic is like compared to the Phantom? Is it an entirely newer design with the same/better features? If so, why's the Phantom 4 a thing?
2018-12-20
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
First Officer

United States

SarahC Posted at 12-20 23:49
I've just had 10 flights over Christmas, and the cracks appeared......

https://imgur.com/gallery/wEC0mGc

I read your other thread about this and commented there.

However, now I'm wondering what model you have so which model is it?
2018-12-21
Use props
Phipps33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43258 ft

United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-10 05:33
Be careful with Super Glue ...... normal over counter CA is not plastic friendly with many types of plastic ....

Better to get MEK (Plastweld) - this is a plastic solvent that modellers use .. a thin paint brush to lightly apply and it 'welds' the joint.

Is this what you are talking about?

Is this the right stuff?
2019-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules