Can't update fly safe database / limited camera range
874 8 2018-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112871 ft
United States

I have two issues, and one might have to do with the other.  I have upgraded to xxx009 firmware, but I keep getting the "fly safe database.." upgrade warning whenever I connect to the Spark.  I can't seem to get the upgrade going, so I just ignore it and fly anyway.  Whenever I do, it appears that my range is limited to about 200 meters, and then I get a warning saying "..video out of range.." and the video display toggles to black and white, and it askes me if I want to return to home.  I don't know if one has to do with the other, but this is getting frustrating.  And, no, I'm not in beginner mode.  I am using the remote controller with an Android phone.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  What's the fix?  Thanks ahead of time.

2018-1-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Have you tried to do the update with DJI Assistant?
2018-1-7
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-7 01:54
Have you tried to do the update with DJI Assistant?

When I use the DJI Assistant and my PC, all I see is the firmware version of the drone.  I don't see anything about the controller or the need for a fly database update.  Am I looking in the wrong place?
2018-1-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

steve_in_TX Posted at 2018-1-7 05:59
When I use the DJI Assistant and my PC, all I see is the firmware version of the drone.  I don't see anything about the controller or the need for a fly database update.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

That was the right place. If there had been a fly safe database update to be installed on Spark it would have prompted you for doing it. Thus all ok on that side at least. For the RC you can't do anything with DJI Assistant only via WiFi.
If no other user here can provide the solution I suggest you contact DJI support directly. Sorry that I couldn't do more.
2018-1-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I stood out in a the field and did the update.  Not sure why you can't get the upgrade going as it isn't a very big file (didn't take long).  It says you should be on wifi but I just used cell data.  I think not upgrading it restricted my bands and channels as the RC had a tough time connecting to the Spark.
2018-1-7
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-7 07:42
That was the right place. If there had been a fly safe database update to be installed on Spark it would have prompted you for doing it. Thus all ok on that side at least. For the RC you can't do anything with DJI Assistant only via WiFi.
If no other user here can provide the solution I suggest you contact DJI support directly. Sorry that I couldn't do more.

I appreciate the response.  Evidently, this is a problem for many people.
2018-1-7
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Just an update here.  If you are using an Android phone, there are obvious things that you should do.  Put the phone in "airplane mode" is one of them, and shut down/disable/uninstall any other software on the phone that may be constantly trying to access network services.  Facebook is a big one.  However, I've also discovered what I think are two other things that are having an effect on the video signal dropping out.
2018-1-11
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Just an update here.  If you are using an Android phone, there are obvious things that you should do.  Putting the phone in "airplane mode" while flying the Spark is one of them.  However, I've discovered there are other things that are having an effect on the range and video signal dropping out.

Shut down/disable/uninstall any other software on the phone that may be constantly trying to access network services.  Facebook is a big one.

Increase the camera buffer from the default 2G to 8G if your phone has the memory.  And, clear the buffer before every flight.

If your phone has an SD memory expansion card, make sure it is a "fast" memory card.  It appears that when I bought my phone, the sales people fudged on my SD expansion card and put in a slower card than the phone specs called for.  That problem has been fixed.

Put the camera/video in Manual mode, and run the ISO speed and Frames-Per-Second as slow as you can get away with.  I try to run mine at 100 ISO and 60 Frames-Per-Second.  I'm not worried about the video quality coming back to the controller sice any pics or video I take will be stored on the SD card in the drone in HD mode.

People have suggested that you have a formatted SD card in the drone to remedy range and video drop out problems.  However, this didn't seem to help me.  However, when running in the default 5.8ghz mode, you really need to be line-of-sight with the drone since the shorter wavelength of 5.8 doesn't penetrate obstacles as well as 2.4ghz.

I can't put my finger on any clear winner, but the combination of all my suggestions above has increased my range from about 200 meters to over 500 meters.  This is still far short of the claimed 2 kilometers, but I'm still working on it.

I still can't get the fly safe database to update.
2018-1-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

steve_in_TX Posted at 2018-1-11 13:29
Just an update here.  If you are using an Android phone, there are obvious things that you should do.  Putting the phone in "airplane mode" while flying the Spark is one of them.  However, I've discovered there are other things that are having an effect on the range and video signal dropping out.

Shut down/disable/uninstall any other software on the phone that may be constantly trying to access network services.  Facebook is a big one.

Thank you for sharing your observations. I believe they can help many. And I hope your remaining problems will be solved soon as well.
2018-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules