Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IOS 11 and DJI Go 4 not working
3171 28 2018-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Hi all

Anyone else having issues with an ipad mini 2 on IOS 11 and using the DJI Go 4 app?

Updated and now the app drops out , screen distorts and also sometimes disconnects

Anyone had this issue or know how to correct?

Thanks  
2018-1-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi. I'm not having any issues with iOS 11 and GO, but then I'm using apple hardware with more powerful CPUs. I think you'll find the issue is your iPad Mini 2 not having adequate CPU performance to handle the  video decoding demands of the latest releases of DJI GO 4. I had to retire my Mini 2 for this reason - I'm now using an Air 2 and my iPhone 7.

If you didn't have green screens etc before the iOS update, perhaps it's Apple's new practice of slowing down CPU to prolong battery life? That'll make processing capability worse.

I suggest you invest in another app like Litchi, if you don't want to update your iPad.
2018-1-6
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have you updated to the latest version of IOS 11.2.1
2018-1-6
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Up near the top of the first page of the forum:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-123736-1-1.html
2018-1-6
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks guys, I am using IOS 11.2 and the issues remain. I will contact DJI support. Thanks for the thread link
2018-1-6
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-6 19:46
Hi. I'm not having any issues with iOS 11 and GO, but then I'm using apple hardware with more powerful CPUs. I think you'll find the issue is your iPad Mini 2 not having adequate CPU performance to handle the  video decoding demands of the latest releases of DJI GO 4. I had to retire my Mini 2 for this reason - I'm now using an Air 2 and my iPhone 7.

If you didn't have green screens etc before the iOS update, perhaps it's Apple's new practice of slowing down CPU to prolong battery life? That'll make processing capability worse.

I was going to ask about Litchi and if it was compatible with Ipad Mini....
2018-1-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-6 21:54
I was going to ask about Litchi and if it was compatible with Ipad Mini....

Litchi is fine - I've used the latest version (v2.0) recently on my iPhone 7. I can't try it on my old iPad Mini 2 as I no longer have it, but there's no reason why there'd be an issue. But when I had the Mini 2, it'd work fine with no video break-ups, whereas GO 4.1.x would be useless.

It's a leaner app than Go 4, and I suspect a better coded one at that. And Litchi is great for autonomous missions too, which GO 4 doesn't offer.
2018-1-7
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-7 14:19
Litchi is fine - I've used the latest version (v2.0) recently on my iPhone 7. I can't try it on my old iPad Mini 2 as I no longer have it, but there's no reason why there'd be an issue. But when I had the Mini 2, it'd work fine with no video break-ups, whereas GO 4.1.x would be useless.

It's a leaner app than Go 4, and I suspect a better coded one at that. And Litchi is great for autonomous missions too, which GO 4 doesn't offer.

Thanks heaps mate, I upgraded to a brand new Ipad 2017 today and the issues remain....continuous "weak image transmission signal" causing the screen to distort and lag.

I think Litchi is my next option!
2018-1-8
Use props
frankencopter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-6 19:46

Litchi used the source GO API so that won’t fix the issue.
2018-1-8
Use props
boykintom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124656 ft
United States

I'm not sure about this issue, but I can start out flying with DJI Go 4 and receive many interference warnings, then switch to Litchi and fly without issue, so I would think it is worth a try.
2018-1-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

frankencopter Posted at 2018-1-8 12:12
Litchi used the source GO API so that won’t fix the issue.

If you mean DJI's SDK, that's an incorrect assumption. GO is an app which uses their SDK API library calls to operate and manage specific functions in the craft firmware and controller firmware. Litchi is another app which does the same thing, but without the bloat and potentially more efficient coding. What you said is like saying that every app written in, say, C++ and accessing the same code libraries will operate and perform the same, and that's not so.
2018-1-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-8 00:48
Thanks heaps mate, I upgraded to a brand new Ipad 2017 today and the issues remain....continuous "weak image transmission signal" causing the screen to distort and lag.

I think Litchi is my next option!

Hi again. If you've upgraded to a recent iPad, then I doubt that changing to Litchi would help - unless you have other reasons to use Litchi, of course, like autonomous missions.
[edit: I note someone else just commented that Litchi seems to work OK, but that may be due to CPU issues with an earlier tablet again.]

I'd be tempted to go back to refreshing the firmware on the controller and craft and manually re-linking. Sorry, you may have already tried that (I haven't rechecked the start of the thread).
2018-1-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Chief Pilot Posted at 2018-1-8 15:48
I just updatd to IOS 11.2.2 and it bricked my P4P RC.

iOS 11.2.2 was a patch for a cyber exploit (Spectre). Can you provide more detail please. How is your controller bricked?
2018-1-8
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-8 13:02
Hi again. If you've upgraded to a recent iPad, then I doubt that changing to Litchi would help - unless you have other reasons to use Litchi, of course, like autonomous missions.
[edit: I note someone else just commented that Litchi seems to work OK, but that may be due to CPU issues with an earlier tablet again.]

Thank you, I will give manual relinking a go later and see if that helps
2018-1-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-8 20:05
Thank you, I will give manual relinking a go later and see if that helps

OK, but I note on the forum a number of people having upgraded to the latest P4P firmware and experiencing this message. Just re-linking on it's own may not be the magic bullet.

Anyway, I don't have the error, which is why I've been suggesting a refresh of both craft and controller firmware. My standard process is to update, set to factory defaults, and refresh again.

Failing that, draw a pentacle around the P4P and sacrifice a chicken. Hey, it can't hurt... ;-)
2018-1-8
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-8 20:28
OK, but I note on the forum a number of people having upgraded to the latest P4P firmware and experiencing this message. Just re-linking on it's own may not be the magic bullet.

Anyway, I don't have the error, which is why I've been suggesting a refresh of both craft and controller firmware. My standard process is to update, set to factory defaults, and refresh again.

Didn't work mate, problem still exists. Continuous weak image transmission signal, jittering screen and strong wireless interference messages.

Interestingly I installed the DJI Go 4 app onto a friend's android phone and it flew beautifully, no image transmission issues, no jittery screen, it flew without a hitch. To me this means that the problem is completely related to IOS 11 and the DJI Go 4 app.

I don't know what next but I am so super angry!
2018-1-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-9 01:02
Didn't work mate, problem still exists. Continuous weak image transmission signal, jittering screen and strong wireless interference messages.

Interestingly I installed the DJI Go 4 app onto a friend's android phone and it flew beautifully, no image transmission issues, no jittery screen, it flew without a hitch. To me this means that the problem is completely related to IOS 11 and the DJI Go 4 app.

Bummer. But it sounds like it isn't the DJI hardware, and the the software Should work OK - it's working with my P4P fine on the latest iOS (well, 11.2.1 was what I used then anyway) on my iPhone 7.

Couple of things to try:
Check that Background App Refresh is on (that's clutching at straws though);
Try flying with device in Airplane mode (you shouldn't need to do this, but others have reported that this makes a difference with reducing device interference);
Have a look at what interference you may be experiencing (under Image Transmission Settings) and ensure you're using a quiet channel;
Try another app, like Litchi - hey, it may cost $35 (?) to see if any better, but at least you'll have another software option for your $2K drone. ;-)
2018-1-9
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-9 13:33
Bummer. But it sounds like it isn't the DJI hardware, and the the software Should work OK - it's working with my P4P fine on the latest iOS (well, 11.2.1 was what I used then anyway) on my iPhone 7.

Couple of things to try:

Thanks for that

I've tried the airplane mode with no luck....I've also tried swapping to the 5.8 channel with no luck too

I was wondering though, every time I install on an IOS device some (but not all) of my app settings remain. Is there a way to completely refresh the app? Wipe everything and start from scratch?

This is effectively what happened when I installed on the android and I had no issues at all

Thanks!
2018-1-9
Use props
Wingshooter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-9 23:30
Thanks for that

I've tried the airplane mode with no luck....I've also tried swapping to the 5.8 channel with no luck too

Some of the stuff that is not being refreshed is store in the AirCraft and not the app.
2018-1-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Wingshooter Posted at 2018-1-10 04:27
Some of the stuff that is not being refreshed is store in the AirCraft and not the app.

Definitely, but returning the craft to Factory Defaults as part of the update process should handle that. So I can indeed confirm this, as after each update I do I need to reset certain setting again in DJI GO.
And just FYI, for each firmware update I update the craft (and controller), set to factory defaults, and refresh the firmware again. I haven't had an unsuccessful update since then on either my P4 or P4P.

@Matt, my understanding is that deleting the app from your phone should remove all data and settings. And the Android version is effectively a different app so sadly not comparable.
So if you've done all of the above, and the antennas are facing the right way and nothing is impeding them (i.e. the USB cable has a clear run past them), I'm out of ideas. It's interesting - I tend to hear more of issues with Android than iOS.
2018-1-10
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-10 14:16
Definitely, but returning the craft to Factory Defaults as part of the update process should handle that. So I can indeed confirm this, as after each update I do I need to reset certain setting again in DJI GO.
And just FYI, for each firmware update I update the craft (and controller), set to factory defaults, and refresh the firmware again. I haven't had an unsuccessful update since then on either my P4 or P4P.

Thank you again

Yep I've tried all of that stuff. I have errors and faults on the drone in the IOS version that don't appear at all in the android version of the app.

Is there any kind of other types of resets on the aircraft, controller or the app I can try?

Thanks again for your time
2018-1-10
Use props
frankencopter
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-8 12:59
If you mean DJI's SDK, that's an incorrect assumption. GO is an app which uses their SDK API library calls to operate and manage specific functions in the craft firmware and controller firmware. Litchi is another app which does the same thing, but without the bloat and potentially more efficient coding. What you said is like saying that every app written in, say, C++ and accessing the same code libraries will operate and perform the same, and that's not so.

Actually the source code is the same with additional featured added by Litchi and a different GUI.  So what ever kills GO will more than likely kill Litchi all things considered
2018-1-10
Use props
frankencopter
lvl.3
United States

Chief Pilot Posted at 2018-1-8 15:48
I just updatd to IOS 11.2.2 and it bricked my P4P RC.

Yep, but you will run into push back from those whose stuff is still working.  My P3P Go app took a dump after the IOS update.  There is actually a recommendation out there to update to 11.2,  I think until a few more folks have weighed in, it’s premature to recommend that to anyone.
2018-1-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2018-1-10 15:53
Thank you again

Yep I've tried all of that stuff. I have errors and faults on the drone in the IOS version that don't appear at all in the android version of the app.

You can try resetting the controller:

* Have the controller off and press down C1 + C2 + red record button (top left) + ISO Dial (top right wheel).
* While still holding down, turn the controller on and keep holding for about 5 seconds.
* Release.

Bam! The controller is reset. You may then need to re-link the controller and craft manually:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1 + C2 + record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
* Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first LED on the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a paperclip or toothpick to push in the linking button on the craft (near the SD slot) and hold for 3-5 seconds, remove and wait. It should link after a few seconds.
2018-1-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

frankencopter Posted at 2018-1-10 16:39
Actually the source code is the same with additional featured added by Litchi and a different GUI.  So what ever kills GO will more than likely kill Litchi all things considered

The developers make decisions on how to reference the API calls within their code. That code may reference those calls incorrectly, inefficiently, or the fundamental logic may be flawed. An example is GO currently reporting "interference" or "high wind" messages which Litchi doesn't (from my use).
Anyway, your point that the SDK is in common is valid, even if they are differently coded apps which use that SDK.
2018-1-10
Use props
Matt218
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-10 16:53
You can try resetting the controller:

* Have the controller off and press down C1 + C2 + red record button (top left) + ISO Dial (top right wheel).

Hey mate, just tried this, still no good. Strong wireless interference and weak image transmission signal faults remain
2018-1-11
Use props
zhangqing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5959009 ft
  • >>>
China

A lot of people have met this situation.
2018-1-11
Use props
Yeri Tan
lvl.3

United States

Try deleting and reinstall the app on your iPad. Force restart your iPad. If no use, you can use an ios repair tool to fix the issue.
2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules