*Introducing Osmo Mobile 2*Share your story
1234Next >
54054 127 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf4ef428c
lvl.1
United States

DJI does this fix the OIS issues with the iPhone X that the Osmo Mobile was as having or not? Can’t seem to get a straight answer from you guys.
2018-1-8
Use props
fans5c1c0e3c
lvl.1
United States

Well this is what I have learned about ordering from DJI.  Don't do it!  Order a DJI Product from someone else.  I recently bought the Osmo 1 for Christmas for $200.  Then along comes the brand new one for $129.  I thought, no problem, I'm within return time.  Called DJI and they basically said too bad "7 day return".  Okay, has anyone else heard of a 7 Day Return.  That's just crazy.  I've bought a lot of DJi products (phantom 1, 2+, 3Pro, Mavic, Spark, Osmo) so for them to just blow people off isn't cool.  I still like DJI Product but I will no longer buy from them again knowing there is a 7 day return unlike 30-45 days with other companies.
2018-1-8
Use props
ducatiti
lvl.1

United States

fans5c1c0e3c Posted at 2018-1-8 11:32
Well this is what I have learned about ordering from DJI.  Don't do it!  Order a DJI Product from someone else.  I recently bought the Osmo 1 for Christmas for $200.  Then along comes the brand new one for $129.  I thought, no problem, I'm within return time.  Called DJI and they basically said too bad "7 day return".  Okay, has anyone else heard of a 7 Day Return.  That's just crazy.  I've bought a lot of DJi products (phantom 1, 2+, 3Pro, Mavic, Spark, Osmo) so for them to just blow people off isn't cool.  I still like DJI Product but I will no longer buy from them again knowing there is a 7 day return unlike 30-45 days with other companies.

I'm also still trying to decide if I should return or not. Is it the battery capacity that attracts you the most?

To be honest, I like the finish, trigger, grip, of the previous version.
2018-1-8
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone tested this yet and can confirm that the Osmo 2 doesn't fight with the iPhones own image stabilization which can cause wobbly looking footage?
2018-1-8
Use props
ducatiti
lvl.1

United States

Can someone confirm if the same motor is used? If not, which one is stronger and of better built?
2018-1-8
Use props
RojasTKD
lvl.1
United States

quitosky Posted at 2018-1-8 09:31
This is a slap in the face for 1st OSMO mobile owners.  OSMO comes up with an upgrade with better battery, portrayed mode and etc. but lowers the price to almost half. They should give 1st OSMO mobile owners an option to trade with the new for less!

Yes, how dare they make a new model with an all plastic handle non-removable battery and charge the same amount as there closest rival with similar build (smooth Q).

Companies should never advance their product line or low cost for cheaper build.

What's next 55" tv modles that cost less than my 50" from two years ago! The b@st@rds!!!!....
2018-1-8
Use props
ducatiti
lvl.1

United States

Lots of questions unanswered. Looks like the company is avoiding questions such as jitter problems due to the conflict with stabilization.
2018-1-8
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18281 ft
United Kingdom

I watched Ray from DCRainmaker and his video and he used the iPhone X and you can see jitter so no looks like still the same old problems.

Having said that I'll probably still get one at that price point and hope that Flow Motion One is more than vapourware when/if it ever actually ships.
2018-1-9
Use props
Ollie_Berlin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 116362 ft
Germany

Is it possible to use the hyperlapse function with the (old) OSMO MOBILE ?

Does the (new) OSMO MOBILE 2 support the creation of panaorama in portrait mode?
2018-1-9
Use props
djiuser_jqKMDXJ
lvl.2
United States

Is this new device going to come with a new version of DJI GO App or are you using the same crappy app with all the current issues???
2018-1-9
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

fanscbe312e7 Posted at 2018-1-7 15:15
Does it work with iPhone 7 Plus or does it need counterweights?

I would assume so; the current Osmo Mobile works fine with my iPhone 7 Plus, and I've used it quite a bit.
2018-1-9
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

fans1e64d827 Posted at 2018-1-7 22:03
I am fully disappointed with DJI and their marketing strategy before this launch. I bought my OLD osmo mobile last month following a promotion in thanksgiving that dropped the MSRP in $100. Unfortunately now I realize that DJI where burning inventory before this new anouncement prior to CES 2018 in Las Vegas. If I could, I would return it and get another gimbal from a brand that doesn’t play with the loyalty of the customers.

Depends on your needs/use case. In my case, I needed a gimbal for a recent trip after being disappointed with the multiple delays with the FlowMotion Kickstarter campaign (there was one trip especially that I wanted it for), so I was happy the current Osmo was discounted, as I could get use out of it rather than paying less for vapourware.
2018-1-9
Use props
Amazonkme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 330161 ft
France

If this release gets me a better DJI Go app to use with my osmo mobile (or move osmo mobile range at least to DJI GO 4 app so i can only have one app from both mavic and osmo, ill be happy

I dont want the plastic gimbal Osmo 2 seems to be, i will keep my metal one with trigger and removable battery.

2018-1-10
Use props
KAPOzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 206138 ft
Vietnam

How long is the device?
It would be great if there are accessories that can obtain beyond 2m length.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcT
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Hi there. I love this gimbal a lot. But I wonder if it can cater for Samsung Note 8 and Gear 360 together? For gear 360 (and other 360 cams), is there a quick switch of parts so that I could buy one gimbal and use both?
2018-1-11
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I bought the Osmo about 3 weeks ago for $199 at Best Buy. I was bummed big time when I saw the new Osmo 2 and knew that Best Buy's return policy is only 14 days, because I'd rather return the Osmo I just bought and buy the Osmo 2 next month.

I double-checked BB return policy and any item purchased in November and December can be returned for a full refund up until January 14th!! If the Osmo 2 were to roll out at $300 then I would just keep my Osmo 1, but for $130 + longer battery life that can also charge other devices!? It's a no brainer, I'm returning this Osmo 1
2018-1-11
Use props
VisualAltitude
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43914 ft
Sweden

Are all the trigger functions from the original osmo mobile removed, or are they accessible somewhere else?
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcT
lvl.2
Hong Kong

What is the earliest day I can place an order for Osmo Mobile 2 and the earliest day it can be shipped?
2018-1-12
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

DJI Grace Posted at 2018-1-7 09:57
will get the professional answer from our support team before give a reply here!

I would also very much like to know this.

I have an Osmo+ and would like this new gimbal by itself, like the M1.  An M2 perhaps?

I am very hesitant to buy it on it’s own, despite the price.  Why?  Because I like to be able to use my Z Axis, and also my other Osmo accessories, I can do that with my Osmo handle and an M1Gimbal, and then even swap my Osmo+ camera back on it, but that would not be an option with the Osmo Mobile 2 by itself.

Another thing that really turns me off is not having a replaceable battery, sure it lasts longer, but what if the battery wears out?  I would be stuck having to either send it in for service and waiting weeks, or having to buy a whole new unit.  The long charging time also gives me pause, yes, 15 hours should be plenty, but that is under ideal conditions, what if the conditions are not ideal?  Now I am stuck with a drained battery and no way to replace it with a charged one, I would have to find an outlet, which may not be available, and wait 2 hours, which might not be possible or practical.

Questions:
Can the gimbal be detached and mounted to a regular Osmo handle, or, alternatively, will a regular Osmo compatible gimbal, like the M1 (M2?) be released?  If so, when?

How much will recharging my phone reduce the battery?

Can I use an external microphone, or am I stuck using the one in the phone?

My phone (an Iphone X) has an optical zoom, will the zoom comtrol first use my optical zoom, or will it go straight to the digital zoom?  I can do digital zoom in post if I need to, I would rather not crop my image in the field and remove that option.  I like Optical zoom, but digital zoom is a crop.

What resolution are the timelapse videos saved as, and is it changable?  With the regular Osmo and the omo Mobile 1, they are stored as 720p and cannot be done at a higher resolution.  This is silly.  The only way to get a full resolution timelapse is to import the individual images to my computer and make a timelapse there, it is a time considering extra step.

Will the timelapse modes all save the individual image files, or does it only work with regular timelapse?

What format are the pictures saved in?  .JPG, RAW, or something else?

What resolution are the panoramas saved at?  Again, the regular Osmo and the Osmo Mobile 1 save them at a very low resolution, full resolution requires a seperate program.

Can the individual panorama images also be saved?  If so, what format are they in?

Is an Osmo Mobile 2 version of the Z Axis planned?  The lack of the Z Axis is a major reason why I never bought the Osmo Mobile 1.

Is an adaptor planned that would allow regular Osmo Accessories to be used?

How much will the Osmo Mobile 2 Base cost?

Will the unit come with a carrying case?  Will it come with anything else?
2018-1-12
Use props
wanstronian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

My story is that I'm pretty bloody furious, having bought an Osmo mobile 1 last week.
2018-1-12
Use props
wanstronian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_jqKMDXJ Posted at 2018-1-9 12:06
Is this new device going to come with a new version of DJI GO App or are you using the same crappy app with all the current issues???

Same crappy app I suspect - bad on iOS, unusable on Android. DJI clearly put their effort into the device and employ no talent when it comes to app development. I work in the software industry and the quality of the apps incenses me at times.
2018-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_9ecpbcT Posted at 2018-1-12 00:14
What is the earliest day I can place an order for Osmo Mobile 2 and the earliest day it can be shipped?

It will be on sale at the applestore first i heard rumour it would be available in two weeks.
2018-1-12
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I still think they are ripping off Smooth-Q from Z
2018-1-12
Use props
WetalkUAV
lvl.1

Spain

what do you guys think?
2018-1-12
Use props
RojasTKD
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-13 04:51
Considering it has 3x the battery life of the original & costs a little over half the price you can just buy a second unit.

No thanks,would be nice for them though if you bought a new one every few years.

I got mine refurbished over the holidays for $150 and prefer the replaceable battery. I'm not likely to shoot for 4+ hours straight and can swap batteries anytime in an instant.

I also prefer the build quality, magnesium alloy, of the original.

Functionally they are about the  same. The built in zoom is the biggest advantage I would miss. THe new shooting modes woul;d be nice, but I don't really understand what they are and am hopeful it will be integrated into the app and available for the original.

If I didn't have the original Osmo Mobile and my choice was the $299 original or the $129 V2, that would be an easy choice. A $199 original vs a $129 v2 would be a little tougher but the cheaper option would probably be the better buy for an amateur like me. If buying today I think most people are better off with the version 2, mainly because of it more reasonable price.

Having the original the V2 is less tempting. Somethings are better somethings not. In my mind it's a wash.

What we really need is a better app. I've just used my phone's video app so far because I can do 4k and the DJI app won't.
2018-1-13
Use props
RojasTKD
lvl.1
United States

VisualAltitude Posted at 2018-1-11 11:11
Are all the trigger functions from the original osmo mobile removed, or are they accessible somewhere else?

I believe they are implemented by using button presses, much like they Zhiyum Smooth Q/Smooth 3 gimbles.
2018-1-13
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I’m liking the look of the 2.   15 hours vs 4-5 hours (i’ve read you only get 3 hours in real life).  So that’s 4-5 x the capacity and more than you would use in a day

You can also charge your phone off the osmo (like a power bank) to extend your phone battery life while filming

It’s cheaper with a portrait mode.

All in all what’s not to like.

2018-1-14
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-14 13:12
I’m liking the look of the 2.   15 hours vs 4-5 hours (i’ve read you only get 3 hours in real life).  So that’s 4-5 x the capacity and more than you would use in a day

You can also charge your phone off the osmo (like a power bank) to extend your phone battery life while filming

Remember though, that charging the phone will reduce your battery, and the 15 hours is based off of “ideal” conditions, I.E. the Osmo Mobile 2 is turned on and not touched, in perfect indoor temperature, and probably not holding a phone.

Actually out in the field using one?  Who knows.  I’m going to take a wild guess at 12 hours though, maybe 5-8 if your charging your phone.

And once it’s empty you will need to plug it in to charge it for a couple of hours, maybe use a power bank.

Whereas with the Osmo one you just swap the battery, and if you have 3 or 4 extras you can match the “ideal” times of the Osmo Mobile 2, and they fit in your pocket.  Add a quad charger and you can recharge them all at once, in less time than you could charge the Osmo Mobile 2.
2018-1-14
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Duplicate post, I ran into a site error.
2018-1-14
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

9245 Posted at 2018-1-14 17:35
Remember though, that charging the phone will reduce your battery, and the 15 hours is based off of “ideal” conditions, I.E. the Osmo Mobile 2 is turned on and not touched, in perfect indoor temperature, and probably not holding a phone.

Actually out in the field using one?  Who knows.  I’m going to take a wild guess at 12 hours though, maybe 5-8 if your charging your phone.

Yep...I do understand that, for what i would typically do, 12 hours is more than enough.  8 hours is more than enough too to be honest...i have never filmed more than 2 hours in a day or all at once giving me enough time to top up the osmo if I needed

The limiter is more likely to be your phone battery, which the osmo can help with, at the cost of some of it’s own time.

If all else fails you can still go handheld, so it’s not as if you’ll be in a position where you cannot film anymore

I’m not saying I am right or you are wrong.   It’s horses for courses.   The extra battery life and taking away the need to pack chargers and batteries far outweighs the benefit and flexibility of multiple batteries that I can never see myself needing.
2018-1-15
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Also consider what we are talking about. It’s a compact gimbal to use with your phone.  Your phone isn’t going to have the storage for 4-+ hours of footage anyway.  If you have a need for 15+ hours of footage, with no time to recharge in one day, then the OSMO mobile is probably not the device for you.
2018-1-15
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-15 13:06
Also consider what we are talking about. It’s a compact gimbal to use with your phone.  Your phone isn’t going to have the storage for 4-+ hours of footage anyway.  If you have a need for 15+ hours of footage, with no time to recharge in one day, then the OSMO mobile is probably not the device for you.

It is unlikely you would need that much in one day, by point was if you needed it for multiple days.  The Osmo Mobile 2 is marketed as a way to “share your adventure,” well what if your adventure is something like camping, hiking, rafting, or anything else which may have you away from a power source for a few days?  Or maybe your traveling and are visiting an area that does not have a reliable power grid?  Sure, that’s only going to affect a minority of users, but for them it could be a real problem, you can’t really “share your adventure” when you have no battery.  Yes, recharging the phone would be an issue in those cases as well, but there are ways around that, I.E. battery banks, solar chargers, and crank chargers, which I suspect will work much better on the phone than the Osmo Mobile 2.  I just see the lack of changeable batteries as a real flaw.
2018-1-15
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

9245 Posted at 2018-1-15 13:39
It is unlikely you would need that much in one day, by point was if you needed it for multiple days.  The Osmo Mobile 2 is marketed as a way to “share your adventure,” well what if your adventure is something like camping, hiking, rafting, or anything else which may have you away from a power source for a few days?  Or maybe your traveling and are visiting an area that does not have a reliable power grid?  Sure, that’s only going to affect a minority of users, but for them it could be a real problem, you can’t really “share your adventure” when you have no battery.  Yes, recharging the phone would be an issue in those cases as well, but there are ways around that, I.E. battery banks, solar chargers, and crank chargers, which I suspect will work much better on the phone than the Osmo Mobile 2.  I just see the lack of changeable batteries as a real flaw.

You are going to have the same issues on an adventure trip.  Whether you have 3 x 5 hour batteries or 1 x 15 hour battery, you still need to charge them after 15 or so hours via a power bank.

So unless you need more than 12 or so hours in ONE day, then I see this as very workable.   Save your space on chargers and batteries, and invest in some power banks.  Much better value for money.   

In your experience (i’m assuming you have an osmo), have you ever needed more than say 12 hours in one day and without a 2 hour gap to top it up ?    If the answer is yes, then i agree, the change is an issue for you.   If the answer is “no”, then isn’t that example enough it’s not really a flaw ?
2018-1-15
Use props
PGM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57146 ft
United States

My next purchase from DJI; is there an extended warranty plan or protection plan on this Device.
2018-1-15
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-15 14:28
You are going to have the same issues on an adventure trip.  Whether you have 3 x 5 hour batteries or 1 x 15 hour battery, you still need to charge them after 15 or so hours via a power bank.

So unless you need more than 12 or so hours in ONE day, then I see this as very workable.   Save your space on chargers and batteries, and invest in some power banks.  Much better value for money.   

Osmo batteries are not that large (not much more than one of the arms on your Spark), and can be found on Amazon for as little as $20 each, one could easily carry a whole pocket full of them, eliminating the need for a charger.

However, if access to power is possible, and if you also has a quad charger, than 4 batteries (up to 20 hours worth), can be recharged in less time than the Osmo Mobile 2.

Yes, I do have an Osmo, an Osmo+.  I have been considering picking up an M1 Gimbal though (which would transform the Osmo handle into an Osmo Mobile so that I could use active track for certain projects, it was actually my looking for that which lead me hear, I was unaware of the Osmo Mobile 2 before that.  The more a read and consider it though, the less impressed I am with the Osmo Mobile 2, the battery issue is just one problem, I am also unimpressed by the elimination of the rosette mount and the trigger.  I already have 5 batteries for the Osmo+ and can carry the quad charger and single charger with me in my case.
2018-1-15
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

9245 Posted at 2018-1-15 19:33
Osmo batteries are not that large (not much more than one of the arms on your Spark), and can be found on Amazon for as little as $20 each, one could easily carry a whole pocket full of them, eliminating the need for a charger.

However, if access to power is possible, and if you also has a quad charger, than 4 batteries (up to 20 hours worth), can be recharged in less time than the Osmo Mobile 2.

Seems like that would make more sense for you to upgrade your Osmo with a new Gimbal.  There seems to be little improvement of the original.  Functionality about the same, main difference is portrait mode and batteries.   If you already have the batteries and quad charger, which you prefer, then you gain very little in getting a mobile 2.  (also depends on the cost of the gimbal)  If you ask me, the original looks better with the black metal vs the grey plastic too.

For me, who has nothing, the version 2 is a no brainer.   Longer single rechargeable battery suits me more than shorter life interchangeable.  Lighter and cheaper.    I cannot think of reason to go with the V1, but would be tempted if they dropped the price to considerably lower than the V2.

There is no right or wrong answer here...it all depends on your needs.
2018-1-15
Use props
MRF1967
lvl.2
Flight distance : 236 ft
United States

Ollie_Berlin Posted at 2018-1-9 05:04
Is it possible to use the hyperlapse function with the (old) OSMO MOBILE ?

Does the (new) OSMO MOBILE 2 support the creation of panaorama in portrait mode?

I believe I saw in the video where it said you can choose between portrait and landscape mode to whatever best suits your needs while making the panorama shots.
2018-1-16
Use props
Albut
New

United Kingdom

Clearly this does not support the iPhone X and the poor video produced by wobble must still be present. Otherwise dji would have told us. So I won’t be buying this item
2018-1-16
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-15 22:43
Seems like that would make more sense for you to upgrade your Osmo with a new Gimbal.  There seems to be little improvement of the original.  Functionality about the same, main difference is portrait mode and batteries.   If you already have the batteries and quad charger, which you prefer, then you gain very little in getting a mobile 2.  (also depends on the cost of the gimbal)  If you ask me, the original looks better with the black metal vs the grey plastic too.

For me, who has nothing, the version 2 is a no brainer.   Longer single rechargeable battery suits me more than shorter life interchangeable.  Lighter and cheaper.    I cannot think of reason to go with the V1, but would be tempted if they dropped the price to considerably lower than the V2.

There in lies the one thing that makes me hesitate, the M1 Gimbal is $169 whereas the Osmo Mobile 2 is $125.  Really, the only thing I need the Mobile for is active track, otherwise the Osmo+ is superior in every way, that said, I can’t predict what my future needs may be, I see no reason why I would need the Mobile for anything else, now, but might that change in the future?  Might new features be added?  Might future cell phones embarrass the camera of the Osmo+?

I view the M1 as an accessory which will unlock active track now and be future proof insurance, BUT (and here is where I am stuck), with the Osmo Mobile 2 out now, how much longer will DJI be doing the R&D for new features for the Osmo Mobile 1 (and by extension the M1 Gimbal)?  And for that matter, how much longer will there be support?  Already the Osmo Mobile 2 offers one handy thing that I would actually really like to have, hyperlapse (I may be able to cheat around that with active track and speeding the video up in post though), will that ever be offered for the Osmo Mobile 1 (I don’t see why it couldn’t be, but will DJI offer it?)?  What else might I miss out on?

That said, the Osmo Mobile 2 also has SERIOUS disadvantages,  namely the lack of a trigger, the inability to use any of the Osmo Accessories, no interchangeable batteries, and no ability to detach the Gimbal to use the Z Axis or cable mount (the last two only being possible with the M1 Gimbal), is that worth the possibility of new features?  (Portrait mode may be nice, especially for panoramas, and I would love the option to use it, but I’m not too hung up on it). Also, do I really want to carry around another Osmo instead of just a gimbal?

There is also a possibility that DJI may soon release an M2 Gimbal, which would address all these problems and also make perfect sense to release, but DJI Mindy claims (if she is to be believed, or even knows), that there are no plans for this.  Knowing in my luck, I will order the M1 Gimbal and two weeks later, out of the blue, DJI will announce the M2 Gimbal, and I will be out of luck, and very angry.

We are only talking about a $44 difference though, so it’s not exactly a lot of money, but still, it is money, and what about the M2 Gimbal?

I am honestly torn.  Right now I am leaning towards the M1 Gimbal, but with that $44 I could add a bike mount (not compatable with the Osmo Mobile 2 FYI)...  I am really on the fence and it would be nice if DJI would be more forthcoming with information, they have not even responded to this thread in days.
2018-1-16
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

9245 Posted at 2018-1-16 14:34
There in lies the one thing that makes me hesitate, the M1 Gimbal is $169 whereas the Osmo Mobile 2 is $125.  Really, the only thing I need the Mobile for is active track, otherwise the Osmo+ is superior in every way, that said, I can’t predict what my future needs may be, I see no reason why I would need the Mobile for anything else, now, but might that change in the future?  Might new features be added?  Might future cell phones embarrass the camera of the Osmo+?

I view the M1 as an accessory which will unlock active track now and be future proof insurance, BUT (and here is where I am stuck), with the Osmo Mobile 2 out now, how much longer will DJI be doing the R&D for new features for the Osmo Mobile 1 (and by extension the M1 Gimbal)?  And for that matter, how much longer will there be support?  Already the Osmo Mobile 2 offers one handy thing that I would actually really like to have, hyperlapse (I may be able to cheat around that with active track and speeding the video up in post though), will that ever be offered for the Osmo Mobile 1 (I don’t see why it couldn’t be, but will DJI offer it?)?  What else might I miss out on?

I don’t know why you’d even consider the V2 then.  The V1 seems superior in many ways, you already have a bunch of components.  The only reason you you are hesitating is because what DJI “might” do with a new gimbal.    That’s always going to happen.  I plan to get a V2 soon, but that will be obsolete soon enough as well.
2018-1-16
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules