5782 21 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone experienced an IPAD pro shutting down in cold temperatures?  This mornings temperature was around 9 or 10 degrees and after about 10 minutes of flying my IPAD shut down and started a reboot process.  After rebooting and reopening the app I continued flying and it did the shutdown again about a minute later.  Of course, I had full control of the aircraft and was within line of sight, but I found this puzzling.  I was aware of IPADs shutting down due to excessive heat but have not heard of cold weather shutdowns.  My IPADs battery was around 70 percent.  Any clues to what happened?  
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its the LiPo in your iPad reacting to the temperature. That said, I've flown in sub zero temps with my iPhone 7+ and never had this problem. Are you on IOS 11.2.1? IOS 11.1 caused app crashes but not device shut downs.
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Strange, someone over on the Spark side had the same thing happen on their iPhone 6

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128263-1-1.html
2018-1-7
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

yes if the iPad gets super cold it will cut off.  one issue i have with ios devices, if i wish to fly out in the super cold i have to keep my devices warm.  i usually use a soft/hard fabric case because that usually keeps out he cold and keeps in the heat..

2018-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MP6tU5Q Posted at 2018-1-7 11:19
yes if the iPad gets super cold it will cut off.  one issue i have with ios devices, if i wish to fly out in the super cold i have to keep my devices warm.  i usually use a soft/hard fabric case because that usually keeps out he cold and keeps in the heat..

Yes, I am on the latest IOS firmware and also correct that I do not have this problem when flying with my iphone 7 plus.  Glad I found this out so I will be more alert to keep my mavic in line of sight when flying in very cold temperature.  Thanks all for your feedback on this!  
2018-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-7 10:13
Strange, someone over on the Spark side had the same thing happen on their iPhone 6

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128263-1-1.html

Thanks; I will check this out!
2018-1-7
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

-12C is well below the minimum for an iPad. The metal back will just chill the battery faster.
2018-1-7
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2018-1-7 12:15
Yes, I am on the latest IOS firmware and also correct that I do not have this problem when flying with my iphone 7 plus.  Glad I found this out so I will be more alert to keep my mavic in line of sight when flying in very cold temperature.  Thanks all for your feedback on this!

it will happen on your iPhone 7 if it gets cold enough. .  i have an iPhone 7 Plus now and i left it in the cupholder of my car by mistake for a few long hours in the single digit temps, came back it was indicating 20% remaining (i left it was at 90%)  and red bar in battery then it cut out when i started checking things out.  once it thawed out it came back to life with 80% or so.  

my suggestion is to use a case that will keep the cold out and the warmth it generates in.. a silicon lined hard case may work or a soft fabric case also works..
2018-1-7
Use props
web_parrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

From Apple support:  :Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature."
2018-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

web_parrot Posted at 2018-1-7 12:33
From Apple support:  :Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature."

Thanks; this experience has been an eye-opener!  
2018-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

One more question;  considering all of the very cold weather video posted, I would assume that most of them was used with an android device that is less prone to shutting down in cold weather?
2018-1-8
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Completely normal.....
2018-1-8
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks; so do you think the extreme temperature flying videos were taken while flying with an android device?  
2018-1-8
Use props
web_parrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2018-1-8 12:08
Thanks; so do you think the extreme temperature flying videos were taken while flying with an android device?

That's a flawed comparison and presumption.  As with any device that has temperature sensitive components ( battery, liquid crystal display, sensors ), it would be wise to use the specs provided by the manufactuer.  

It's not an Apple v. Android.... Android is an operating system, not hardware.
2018-1-8
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

web_parrot Posted at 2018-1-8 13:08
That's a flawed comparison and presumption.  As with any device that has temperature sensitive components ( battery, liquid crystal display, sensors ), it would be wise to use the specs provided by the manufactuer.  

It's not an Apple v. Android.... Android is an operating system, not hardware.

If you say so, so it must be true! Yet, there are dozens of videos being shot in extreme temperatures that is most likely colder than mine, yet the referenced device happens to be an Apple device and it shut down due to cold temperatures..... Clearly, it does not take a rocket scientist to know that the differences between an Android device and an Apple device is not just a freaking operating system!  I happen to own a few of each and although I really don't have major issues with Apple devices, their systems tend to place more restrictions and user limitations on how the owner can use them. Flawed comparison?
2018-1-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

djiuser_MP6tU5Q Posted at 2018-1-7 11:19
yes if the iPad gets super cold it will cut off.  one issue i have with ios devices, if i wish to fly out in the super cold i have to keep my devices warm.  i usually use a soft/hard fabric case because that usually keeps out he cold and keeps in the heat..

Maybe it is a bit different with the iPad 2 Mini, but I've flown mine several times near and below 0F without shutting down.  Most recently, I ran down 1.5 batteries at +5F with no problems.  YMMV
2018-1-8
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-8 21:08
Maybe it is a bit different with the iPad 2 Mini, but I've flown mine several times near and below 0F without shutting down.  Most recently, I ran down 1.5 batteries at +5F with no problems.  YMMV

old thread but i just signed in here again.

it depends how cold the internals get on the device, if you use a case or are keping it warm in other ways it will last.  it was -7F here the other day and my iPad Pro (refurbished) lasted i say about half hour maybe 45 minutes outside of a case, then battery dropped from 75% to 0% then clicked off. then once it thawed out again it was back at 75% remaining.
2018-1-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

djiuser_MP6tU5Q Posted at 2018-1-18 14:53
old thread but i just signed in here again.

it depends how cold the internals get on the device, if you use a case or are keping it warm in other ways it will last.  it was -7F here the other day and my iPad Pro (refurbished) lasted i say about half hour maybe 45 minutes outside of a case, then battery dropped from 75% to 0% then clicked off. then once it thawed out again it was back at 75% remaining.

Makes sense.  I almost never fly that long, and wouldn't in "frigid" weather.
2018-1-18
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-18 15:17
Makes sense.  I almost never fly that long, and wouldn't in "frigid" weather.

yep, i think thats the weakest part about the safety of flying the cold too.. its so sudden it seems like..

everyone cautions everyone about drone batteries in the cold, i found they last roughly same flight distance, i wasn't watching time too much, so i cant comment on that.. but my average distance in late summer/fall was ~3 miles out and back.. did same run in icy cold with warmed up batteries preflight.. ~3 miles out and back, same run with near 0F battery left in the car overnight.. ~3 miles out and back..  i have this very long run over fields, train tracks and rivers i do to test range out.... interesting part is preheated battery came back for landing with less power, landed with ~14% indicated.  the battery that was abusively neglected in the car overnight and near 0F came back from same run landed with 21%. not entirely sure what to make of that myself..
2018-1-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

Have you run them down into single digits lately?  I just did one today, and it seemed to hold good cell voltage down to 5%.  At that point, I decided enough was enough and pulled it off.  That should provide a new "calibration point" I think.
2018-1-18
Use props
Tiana
lvl.2

United States

Hey, hahhh... My iPad turned off because of very low temperature. According to Apple Center, it is a normal situation. But later the device just can't simply be turned on so I used professional thirs-party mac repair software to restore it. In the end, no data was lost and my iPad got switched on.
2020-12-15
Use props
szruccomin123
lvl.1

United States

Hi,
Usually, there is no big problem if shutting down in low temperature. But if your iPad keeps turning off, feel free to use a professional iOS system reovery tool like Joyoshare UltFix  to fix the device. I just think it is safe, and I once used it to repair my iPad.
2021-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules