RTH operation timeout
1088 14 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DABdroner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54508 ft
United Kingdom

I was flying my Spark and got an option to select RTH as signal was lost - I selected it and it started to RTH. On the return journey a message appeared in the DJO Go 4 app saying RTH operation timeout. Then another message appeared asking again if I wanted to RTH, which I selected yes. This happened 2 or 3 times, each time with a timeout message. The Spark returned to home just fine.
The timeout message worried me - is it something I need to be worried about? What does it mean? Why did it appear?
Thanks.
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just out of curiosity how far away was the Spark?
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only count down involved in RTH is a low battery RTH. You stated "I was flying my Spark and got an option to select RTH as signal was lost" - you don't have an option to select RTH in failsafe after losing signal - it just returns to home. However, once RTH has initiated I have never known of any situations where it continuously asks you to select Y/N to RTH whilst it is already flying back. Thats strange and have no idea why that is. Perhaps someone else can answer that bit.
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. I think you can read the user manual about the RTH at the page of 13 for more info.
2018-1-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

A CW Posted at 2018-1-7 12:40
The only count down involved in RTH is a low battery RTH. You stated "I was flying my Spark and got an option to select RTH as signal was lost" - you don't have an option to select RTH in failsafe after losing signal - it just returns to home. However, once RTH has initiated I have never known of any situations where it continuously asks you to select Y/N to RTH whilst it is already flying back. Thats strange and have no idea why that is. Perhaps someone else can answer that bit.

You have that option, if the GO4 app lost connection ("stream", mostly), but the RC is full in control!
2018-1-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-1-8 02:31
You have that option, if the GO4 app lost connection ("stream", mostly), but the RC is full in control!

I see, as in live feed loss rather than RC signal. That makes more sense.
2018-1-8
Use props
DABdroner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks that's helpful - I didn't know if the "RTH operation timeout" was because the RC hadn't got the RTH signal across to the Spark and therefore the Spark would just fly away!
I am uploading a video of the flight so you can see how many time operation timeout appeared.....it doesn't show the pop-up asking me to y/n RTH - this appeared each time prior to the op time-out flashing on.
2018-1-9
Use props
DABdroner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks that's helpful - I didn't know if the "RTH operation timeout" was because the RC hadn't got the RTH signal across to the Spark and therefore the Spark would just fly away!
I am uploading a video of the flight so you can see how many time operation timeout appeared.....it doesn't show the pop-up asking me to y/n RTH - this appeared each time prior to the op time-out flashing on.
2018-1-9
Use props
DABdroner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Here is a video of the flight - the first RTH starts at just before 6mins into the flight (the 2:04 point on this video). Just before each timeout msg i got the option to cancel or OK the RTH.
Please can someone interpret this and tell me why the repeated RTH operation time outs?
Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjvgto ... %20%281%29.mp4?dl=0
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

DABdroner Posted at 2018-1-9 13:34
Here is a video of the flight - the first RTH starts at just before 6mins into the flight (the 2:04 point on this video). Just before each timeout msg i got the option to cancel or OK the RTH.
Please can someone interpret this and tell me why the repeated RTH operation time outs?
Thanks.

The only special issue I can spot in the video is that you have had a high wind warning. If RTH was against the wind direction Spark might have had to struggle to compete with it and this might have caused timeout, just an idea though.
2018-1-9
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

I had already get that messenger, in a past firmware version. I dont know if it is connected on the mode you are. When it happened to me i was in a quickshot dronie and stopped and triggered the rth on RC and had that messenger and the spark did not returned. I bring it back manually when landed i realised it was in quickshot mode ( did not exist to normal mode) . I doesnt know if its related with this...
2018-1-9
Use props
DABdroner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So does RTH timeout mean the drone hasn't received the message to return to home and therefore won't return to home?
2018-1-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I compare it with other timeouts, in Pano mode, I would understand a RTH timeout as a:
Drone could not start RTH in a specific time intervall, so it stopped trying to start a RTH
Because that is it, when hou have a Pano interrupted: It couldnt do the next picture because of whatever.

Only with a RTH it would not make any sence, unless the App is reporting that the Drone isnt responding to a RTH signal in time and therefore is canceling the request.

So yes, DABDroner, my guess: You are right.

Question here then is:
Was the App "more" disconnected, as only video stream and:
Would trying to initiate the RTH with the RC Button initiate the RTH, then?
2018-1-9
Use props
DABdroner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-1-9 23:11
If I compare it with other timeouts, in Pano mode, I would understand a RTH timeout as a:
Drone could not start RTH in a specific time intervall, so it stopped trying to start a RTH
Because that is it, when hou have a Pano interrupted: It couldnt do the next picture because of whatever.

To be honest I was very nervous as wasn't sure about it all. I did know that the RTH had initiated itself so when it was throwing up timeout messages and giving me option to RTH again I selected yes please every time!! It did return to home so i guess the first RTH instruction to the drone must have worked regardless of the timeout messages.
Very strange.
2018-1-10
Use props
fans4fb2f2f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 206138 ft
Singapore

I happened to encounter RTH error too but on another aspect.
It occurred to me a few times but gladly, the AC was safe. Had been the usual flying hideout for 2 months though. After new firmware update.

1. AC was having above 60% battery, no wind condition, approx 200m distance.
2. Attempted to try the RTH on the RC, it then beeped and shown RTH notice on screen.
3. AC in sight, it did not fly back to home location but instead attempted to land immediately.

Believed it was just an occasional bug, tried a few attempts with RTH and the error occurred again.

1. New battery +40%, no wind, 100m+.
2. Attempted RTH via screen swipe.
3. AC initiated immediate landing

Now, 3rd battery, throughout the RTH engagement manually, was fine.

1. Battery 20% in red, prompted RTH, 300m distance, no wind.
2. Abided the RTH suggestion.
3. AC descended on the spot immediately.

Well, fortunately, it was not consistently and hope it would not happen again.
2018-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules