16557 57 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone have in hand or know of any filter capability for the Phantom 3 camera? Or are we stuck with a ton of Post work?
2015-4-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

There will be ND filters. 2/4/8/16 that will be available later.  The P3 comes equipped with a UV filter standard.
2015-4-21
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-22 10:40
There will be ND filters. 2/4/8/16 that will be available later.  The P3 comes equipped with a UV fi ...

Thanks for the reply. Are the Filters like the Inspire filters (Male to Female thread) or like a normal Filter (Male to Female)?
rodger
2015-4-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-4-23 04:54
Thanks for the reply. Are the Filters like the Inspire filters (Male to Female thread) or like a n ...

No I think that they will slip over the barrel.  That has not been established yet.  We will let you know.   We do not have them for the Inspire yet.
2015-4-22
Use props
power
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

By "comes equipped with a UV filter", do you mean that a removable UV filter comes with the package or that a permanently attached UV filter is built into the lens barrel?
2015-4-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

power@groovy100 Posted at 2015-4-23 06:06
By "comes equipped with a UV filter", do you mean that a removable UV filter comes with the package  ...

The UV lens is installed in the barrel of the camera.  It can be removed, at least it can be in my camera.
2015-4-22
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-23 06:09
The UV lens is installed in the barrel of the camera.  It can be removed, at least it can be in my ...

That is a plus Ed. If it is installed in the barrel instead of outside then it is a normal Filter, camera wise. It must be Male on the Filter and Female on the camera. I am going to buy one then.
Thanks
2015-4-22
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

power@groovy100 Posted at 2015-4-23 06:06
By "comes equipped with a UV filter", do you mean that a removable UV filter comes with the package  ...

Sounds like we are going in the right direction? I am aFilter Guy and they are very important and helpful. A Skylight Filter (1A) works wonders with Photos and Videos. A must have!
Best, Rodger
2015-4-22
Use props
power
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-23 06:09
The UV lens is installed in the barrel of the camera.  It can be removed, at least it can be in my ...

Tahoe_Ed, how does one remove the filter in the case of the Phantom 3's camera? Do you need tools such as a screwdriver? Do you need to disassemble the lens barrel somehow or is this something you can do on the spot, simply by rotating the filter and unscrewing it from its mount, like with filters on e.g. SLR cameras?

Thanks for all your input btw. It's valuable during a time when all the information we can get is from third party accounts.
2015-4-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do not know as I have not seen them.  My guess is that they slip over the barrel.
2015-4-23
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-23 05:11
No I think that they will slip over the barrel.  That has not been established yet.  We will let y ...

Thanks Ed. Would you ask about a Skylight (1 A) Filter also? I have one on my Phantom 2 Vision and it makes all the difference in the world. The media is a tiny bit warmer and the blues are clean and bright.
2015-4-24
Use props
edonovanl
New

United States

I thought about using a few dabs of silicon to hold a 46mm skylight filter on my P3 but haven't decided if that's a good idea or not.  Might affect the balance/gimbal response/ warranty, etc...
2015-4-24
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

edonovanl@live. Posted at 2015-4-25 04:43
I thought about using a few dabs of silicon to hold a 46mm skylight filter on my P3 but haven't deci ...

I don' know if anyone makes a 1 A Gel sheet. If you could find a piece of that you would be better off using the Gel. Really no weight concern and a couple of small spots of silicone would work out fine.
2015-4-25
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

edonovanl@live. Posted at 2015-4-25 04:43
I thought about using a few dabs of silicon to hold a 46mm skylight filter on my P3 but haven't deci ...

Rosco makes a UV sheet Gel only about 1 stop loss. If I think of it I'll do a chat with B&H tomorrow, they are closed today and ask if they know if any exist?
2015-4-25
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Checked with B&H today, nothing in the way of a Gel 1A. The UV from DJI is what we are going to work with. There are a lot of Post ways to make corrections when needed. Jim hare seems to nail it right each time. Waiting for more Tutorials from Jim.
2015-4-26
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys.

I currently run PolarPro Filters on my Inspire 1 and Phantom 2 plus. I called in to see when they will be releasing the P3 Filters and they said 2 weeks which I will be purchasing for my P3 as well that just came in the mail. They're filters are definitely a step up in quality from the standard filters that come on the Inspire (Cheap razor thin glass) and are relatively light weight.. I believe around 6 grams. I haven't had any gimbal problems with any of their filters. They have ND & Polarizer options currently.

If you guys have any questions about the filters feel free to ask, I use them regularly.

-DJIguy
2015-5-8
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-24 02:57
I do not know as I have not seen them.  My guess is that they slip over the barrel.

Feels like your working with your "hands tied behind your back".
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

DJIguy Posted at 2015-5-9 07:11
Hey guys.

I currently run PolarPro Filters on my Inspire 1 and Phantom 2 plus. I called in to see  ...

6 grams sounds very heavy to me. I use these: www.phantomfilters.com - they are very light weight and fit inside the DJI UV-filter.

I'd be concerned about putting that weight on the front of the camera. Which already is not as well balanced as the P2V+. The P3 camera will always tilt down without power. That means it is using force just to hold it up. It MIGHT not be an issue with a heavy filter like that. But I wouldn't know for sure.

My experience with gel-filters that weigh a lot less than a gram so no worries about weight on the gimbal, are not bad. Brings down that pesky shutter speed.
2015-5-8
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJIguy Posted at 2015-5-9 07:11
Hey guys.

I currently run PolarPro Filters on my Inspire 1 and Phantom 2 plus. I called in to see  ...

Great news, DJI is going in the right direction.
2015-5-12
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-9 07:50
6 grams sounds very heavy to me.

I'd be concerned about putting that weight on the front of the c ...

Hey Fantom DK,

You make a good point about the gimbal using force to counter balance the weight of the filter. Do you know if the gimbal is programed to hold only the weight of the camera itself? As a precautionary measure I removed the UV Filter that comes with the Inspire 1 and weighed it out (along with the ND Filter) and it came out to 4 Grams. The PolarPro ND Filter is roughly 6 grams. The difference between the PolarPro filter comes out to be around +2 grams of added weight total to the gimbal when installed vs the UV Filter that comes pre installed.

I will keep you guys tuned on the weight of the P3 Filters when I get them!

Hope this information was helpful!
2015-5-14
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

Polar Pro filter spec:

Polarizer Filter-reduces glare, improves color saturation
2-Stop ND-reduces lens flare and highlights on mild days
3-Stop ND-reduces rolling shutter and highlights on bright days
Ultra-light HD glass weighs only (5.8g) Polz and (4.7g) ND's

Do you think 6g is too much for the gimball?
2015-5-14
Use props
Dataway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17152 ft
United States

I ordered some ND Gel sheets 2 and 4 stop and I was going to use my CNC with a drag knife to cut them to the exact size to fit inside the removable lens on the P3 Pro.  I am hoping I can put them into the removable lens piece and screw it back on to act as a filter with minimal weight gain.... I will provide feedback once I get the gels cut and tested
2015-5-14
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I don't know if 6 grams is too much. But in my opinion it is a bit much. Time will tell if people start reporting burnt out gimbal motors or other problems.

I've used the gel-ND-filters and at least they are very light weight.

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

I tried the Polar Pro slip ons but the surface area is waaaaaay to large creating too much wind resistance not to mention the weight. (I believe they're making them a little smaller now instead of just slapping a plastic housing around an and existing huge 46-ish mm glass lens.)

By far the best, lightest and most professional filters I've found to date are the SRP BlurFix. Great customer service also. They currently have them for GoPro and Vision +. I'm sure the'll make them for the Phantom 3. Can't wait as I've bit the bullet on my 3rd DJI quad and my Phantom 3 should be here soon.

http://www.snakeriverprototyping ... r-slip-over-filters

I use them religiously for a more natural cinematic feel and motion blur.  (ND8, NDCP 8, CP and ND 4)
Example below shot with these filters....
2015-5-17
Use props
ruimleal
New

Portugal

Hello,

just made some DIY ND Filters for the P3 while we wait for the official version.

DIY DJI P3 ND Filters

Hope this helps.

Hey DJI I also miss the protective lens cap!!
2015-5-17
Use props
novaidk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 321621 ft
United States

ruimleal Posted at 2015-5-18 07:42
Hello,

just made some DIY ND Filters for the P3 while we wait for the official version.

This is a great DIY! Wish the rubber ring was a little more sturdy as it looks like it may lose its shape with repeated removals. Whats your experience so far?
2015-5-17
Use props
aprilia64sg
New

Singapore

I tried Rui's method but was not able to remove. I even try using a piler and now it cause a mark on the cover and a slight crack on the protective lens.
I may need to replace the len now, anyone know how to help ???
2015-6-2
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

There will be ND filters. 2/4/8/16 that will be available later.  The P3 comes equipped with a UV fi ...

Hi!!

Do you have any news?

Thanks!
2015-6-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do not.  I purchased ND filters from PolarPro in the interim to test.
2015-6-3
Use props
craigr9
lvl.2

United States

http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Phantom-3-Filter

I ordered these.
PolarPro has a good rep.
2015-6-3
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-3 21:58
I do not.  I purchased ND filters from PolarPro in the interim to test.

I'm going to do the same...
2015-6-3
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

craigr9@comcast Posted at 2015-6-3 22:57

I ordered these.

l ordered these too. They were shipped with tracking info on the 6th, as promised.
2015-6-7
Use props
simonguerin
New

Australia

craigr9@comcast Posted at 2015-6-3 22:57

I ordered these.

Any feedback on the polarpro filters? Have just started looking into this myself and am curious to get some first hand reviews
2015-6-10
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Take a look at these light weight filters - www.phantomfilters.com

This is what I use (it is my site).
2015-6-12
Use props
shaneappelbaum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2820945 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-13 09:55
Take a look at these light weight filters - www.phantomfilters.com

This is what I use.

And you've had good experience with them? I'd rather this than the polar pro that adds a little weight. Just not sure of quality
2015-6-13
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

shaneappelbaum@ Posted at 2015-6-14 00:52
And you've had good experience with them? I'd rather this than the polar pro that adds a little we ...

They lower the light intensity to achieve the lower shutter speed we want, helping with problems with "jello" and create natural looking motion blur for smoother-looking video. Thats the reason I use ND-filters because I don't experience jello with my Phantom 3Pro. Apparently the props are very well balanced from the factory.

This is a low-cost and low weight solution so you should keep that in mind, but I think the quality is good. It sits snugly behind the UV-filter. For some situations it might be an idea to tweak the color-grading a tiny bit when using the gel-type ND-filters because they might block a fraction more red than the other wavelengths. I have not tried the other ones so I can't really compare.  
2015-6-13
Use props
JGPT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357316 ft
Colombia

HI, Tahoe_Ed
I wrote to DJI about my UV FILTER order.
Look the answer from DJI. about the filters.
---------------------------
Storeagent02 (DJI)
Jun 8, 15:09

Dear Jose,

Thank you so much for your email.
Our P3 does not come with UV filter, so you are recommended to keep this order.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any problem.

Thank you
--------------
2015-6-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JGPT Posted at 2015-6-15 02:17
HI, Tahoe_Ed
I wrote to DJI about my UV FILTER order.
Look the answer from DJI. about the filters ...

Tell them you want a replacement for the original lens.  
2015-6-15
Use props
JGPT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357316 ft
Colombia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-16 09:15
Tell them you want a replacement for the original lens.

YOU are RIGHT.
This message was sent by DJI today.
"Dear DJI Customer, Thank you for purchasing a UV Filter for the DJI Phantom 3 from the DJI Online Store. We highly appreciate your order. Out of courtesy, we just wanted to make sure you are aware that both the Phantom 3 Advanced and the Phantom 3 Professional come with a UV Filter fitted to their lenses. So please note that the UV Filter for the Phantom 3 on the DJI Online Store is the same as this included filter, and is sold only as a spare part. Should you have any questions about your order, please contact our dedicated customer support team at onlinesales@dji.com. Thank you, DJI"
2015-7-6
Use props
clive.cook67
lvl.2

United Kingdom

polar pro direct from america, superb filters that screw on to your camera after you screw off the standard filter that comes with your phantom.
2015-7-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules