Spark Compass Error and Auto land out of control
12Next >
2246 44 2018-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ramee
lvl.2
Australia

Today I was flying my Spark bit of long distance in FPVin sport mode. Then suddenly it went out of range and wanted to return home. But then all I could see is choppy video spark turning back and lost control completly for few seconds then  I got a message saying it wanted to auto land and compass error. I tried to cancel auto land but it didn't get through to the drone and I lost it completly. After review logs and I tried to find it all afternoon with no luck. It seams even when auto land it drifted away at a speed while decending! So findding the drone is near impossible

DJIFlightRecord_2018-01-08_[17-19-02].zip

272.35 KB, Down times: 6

Flight record

2018-1-8
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

can you convert the flight record from txt to csv format?
2018-1-8
Use props
Ramee
lvl.2
Australia

Sure! This is in CVS format..

DJIFlightRecord_2018-01-08_[17-19-02].xls.zip

107.65 KB, Down times: 4

2018-1-8
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZBBOW4JAUN5EUU41FKSS/

You text file converted
2018-1-8
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

Over 1 KM out you flew over all these:
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Here is the flightrecord: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OYA3KSIPJA4TJH3F47R7/

I have to say that it was not a good decision in my view to fly more than 2,300 meters away from you, which is well beyond range and it was an irresponsible decision to fly over a city while well being out of VLOS. I can also see that you ignored the warning at 5m 30.4s that battery was only sufficient for RTH, but instead continued to fly further. At 6m 13.5s compass errors started and at 6m 22.4s you had an almost 20 seconds connection loss which triggered auto RTH for Spark. In the follow up many more errors accumulated and at 7m 36.8s Spark initiated auto landing.The logfile stops long before the landing unless there has been a power failure which would have made the Spark fall like a stone from 170 meters altitude into an inhabited area. I prefer to not comment further.
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-8 04:37
Over 1 KM out you flew over all these:
[view_image]

This explains it.
2018-1-8
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Ireland

Some kind of sizeable power plant in your flight path also. At the limit of range, over such power lines and power plant , in a built up area where wifi signals would have been numerous - only one possible outcome. Hope no one was hurt.
2018-1-8
Use props
Ramee
lvl.2
Australia

So you think it is because of power lines. It was a lot above those lines and when compass error happened it was far away of them. I don't understand your logic ?

Yes I was bit away from the  bush area I accept that. Just wanted to see how far it will go!
2018-1-8
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Ireland

Not my logic, just the directions in manual. I don't claim to have any idea how magnetic fields work and how power stations and power lines affect the earths magnetic field around them and for how far. Bit I would try and avoid taking the risk. Those are pretty substantial power lines, not just a single line. Maybe someone else here would have the technical breakdown of the reach of power lines and how far away from them we should be, but you have Distance, Power lines, Power Station and built up area with plenty of wifi signals all competing to distract your little drone. I'm afraid you took it into a perfect storm.
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ramee Posted at 2018-1-8 05:07
So you think it is because of power lines. It was a lot above those lines and when compass error happened it was far away of them. I don't understand your logic ?

Yes I was bit away from the  bush area I accept that. Just wanted to see how far it will go!

I think the problem is, you flew your spark to 1.3 miles you didn’t have enough battery to get home, so no matter what happened you were going to lose your spark.
You had many warnings speed warning gps no match, which you completely ignored, it is my thinking that in Australia you are governed by CE so max flight 500 metres, so I’m guessing your Aircraft was hacked.
The reason you couldn’t cancel auto land or go home was simply you were out of range for RC.
This is a clear case of pilot error, it has to be said also reckless flying, gives all SUA pilots a bad name. It’s great that you reported it here because it will show others the perils of flying so ridiculously and what the results of this are, and we still don’t know if damage was caused by you when spark landed.
2018-1-8
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15712 ft

South Africa

Post of the day.
Admin should pin this thread so everyone can learn.
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smolly Posted at 2018-1-8 05:51
Post of the day.
Admin should pin this thread so everyone can learn.

I totally agree...could have been avoided if manual was read.
2018-1-8
Use props
EXYY
lvl.2
Australia

Obviously spark has been advertised to fly more than 12 mins so am sure It has more than enough power to fly back home. Problem I see is Spark is a poorly design aircraft advertised for 16 mins flight and asked to return home at 5 mins time ? I thought it was a fluke.. Now I remember even few flight before it asked me for permission to touch down at 100 m above the ground during a auto land process. i thought it was a glitch of some sort but apparently this has lots of issues.

2018-1-8
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Ireland

EXYY Posted at 2018-1-8 06:00
Obviously spark has been advertised to fly more than 12 mins so am sure It has more than enough power to fly back home. Problem I see is Spark is a poorly design aircraft advertised for 16 mins flight and asked to return home at 5 mins time ? I thought it was a fluke.. Now I remember even few flight before it asked me for permission to touch down at 100 m above the ground during a auto land process. i thought it was a glitch of some sort but apparently this has lots of issues.

16 MINS is under very ideal conditions and not using Sport Mode. Cars are advertised for certain MPG but who ever gets whats advertised? Its generally understood that all those statistics and reports are under very ideal settings and with drone/car been driven in a very specific manner.
If my car shows a fuel light I go by that and not the MPG I was expecting to get. If the spark shows lower battery than you hoped after 5 min flight, I'd trust the battery warning. Cold could affect it, sport mode, video feed, wind speed etc etc etc. Every flight will have unique circumstance and will give unique battery time. Doesn't mean its badly designed. Its designed with enough cut backs to make it affordable for those of us that can't afford a Phantom or an Inspire. So of course it will have limitations in comparison. But I'm willing to bet no one gets the advertised battery time on either of those AC either.
2018-1-8
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

Obvious flame.
2018-1-8
Use props
EXYY
lvl.2
Australia

I have read somewhere battery capacity reading is not very accurate. I  have  flown 12 mins in sport mode with not giving full throttle. Even in this flight it was no way near in full throttle.
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

First spark is not at fault here. Advertised battery is in optimum conditions not 700ft high travelling at 25/30 mph, you will find this in your manual

1/ operating in CE area max distance 500 metres
2/he flew out for 6.45 minutes
3/“FLUKE” only fluke here is that a lot of damage to person or property didn’t occur.

Changing your avatar half way through the thread is not going to make this any better.
2018-1-8
Use props
EXYY
lvl.2
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-8 06:18
First spark is not at fault here. Advertised battery is in optimum conditions not 700ft high travelling at 25/30 mph, you will find this in your manual

1/ operating in CE area max distance 500 metres

So you are saying Sparks dosn't have any issues and have perfect track record? A How can a self y drone  cause lots of damaged to property or a person ? Yes drone flew 6.45 minutes  so what? It should come back and land in mid way if battery ran out. You can see it didn't happen... Have you got any idea why compass error occurred power lines pfff.. it was 100 m away from any lines..  

Just asking how much DJI pay for you to cover up issues in these threads?
2018-1-8
Use props
Hecate
lvl.4
Canada

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-8 05:18
Not my logic, just the directions in manual. I don't claim to have any idea how magnetic fields work and how power stations and power lines affect the earths magnetic field around them and for how far. Bit I would try and avoid taking the risk. Those are pretty substantial power lines, not just a single line. Maybe someone else here would have the technical breakdown of the reach of power lines and how far away from them we should be, but you have Distance, Power lines, Power Station and built up area with plenty of wifi signals all competing to distract your little drone. I'm afraid you took it into a perfect storm.
[view_image]

Just as reference EMF safe distances
EMF safe distance.jpg
2018-1-8
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

Hecate Posted at 2018-1-8 06:33

300m from power lines.
More than I expected.
Almost puts my local park out of play.
2018-1-8
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

Thank you for the info
2018-1-8
Use props
Hecate
lvl.4
Canada

Smolly Posted at 2018-1-8 06:38
300m from power lines.
More than I expected.
Almost puts my local park out of play.

These are EMF safety distances for the general public, we do not know how much Milligaus the spark can handle. I might have to do a little experiment.
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EXYY Posted at 2018-1-8 06:31
So you are saying Sparks dosn't have any issues and have perfect track record? A How can a self y drone  cause lots of damaged to property or a person ? Yes drone flew 6.45 minutes  so what? It should come back and land in mid way if battery ran out. You can see it didn't happen... Have you got any idea why compass error occurred power lines pfff.. it was 100 m away from any lines..  

Just asking how much DJI pay for you to cover up issues in these threads?

It didn’t come back because it was out of range for you that’s 500 metres.

There are many more problems with the pilot here than there are with the spark.

Your so sure this is a selfie drone, how did you think you could get a selfie from 1.3 miles.

It shouldn’t come back midway, it’s designed to figure out if it has enough battery to get home , if not it will try to land.

I don’t get anything from dji and I don’t try to cover up anything.

As for this case you exposed yourself here, your flying a hacked drone I think you should go back to those who gave you the hack tell them it’s not working.
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

"your flying a hacked drone I think you should go back to those who gave you the hack tell them it’s not working."

I'm seeing a ton of these over on the Spark Pilots forum.
2018-1-8
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Ireland

Hecate Posted at 2018-1-8 06:33

Very helpful - any further testing greatly appreciated.
2018-1-8
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-8 06:56
"your flying a hacked drone I think you should go back to those who gave you the hack tell them it’s not working."

I'm seeing a ton of these over on the Spark Pilots forum.

Same as reprogramming or installing a chip in your car.
Makes it faster and more fun, but when the s hits the fan, manufacturer doesn't want to know nothing about it.
It's self inflicted risk with consequences
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Smolly Posted at 2018-1-8 08:29
Same as reprogramming or installing a chip in your car.
Makes it faster and more fun, but when the s hits the fan, manufacturer doesn't want to know nothing about it.
It's self inflicted risk with consequences

Even if Australia had the FCC standard (actually a number of users here have confirmed that) it has been well beyond that limit too in this case. Mid-flight there have been several warnings that remaining battery was only sufficient for RTH and these have been ignored by pilot. And the first warning came before all the other problems started. In summary this Spark would not have been lost with a responsibly and reasonably acting pilot.
2018-1-8
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-8 08:44
Even if Australia had the FCC standard (actually a number of users here have confirmed that) it has been well beyond that limit too in this case. Mid-flight there have been several warnings that remaining battery was only sufficient for RTH and these have been ignored by pilot. And the first warning came before all the other problems started. In summary this Spark would not have been lost with a responsibly and reasonably acting pilot.

Agreed.
Not for children
2018-1-8
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I do find it interesting that he thought it should return to home at normal speeds when he flew it out in sport mode.  It would never make it.  And how could it return to home with compass errors, speed errors, and GPS No Match?

2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorta anxious to see if DJI makes any reference to the "hacked" version of the app
2018-1-8
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

The drone was drifting while landing causing increase in the distance from the home point.

The records shows there was almost 2 ft away every 1 ft downward.

The last record show 558 ft altitude at distance 7749 ft. This means the possible landing spot is at ( 558 X 2 + 7749 ) = 8865 ft from the home point.

2018-1-8
Use props
stealther
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406486 ft
Australia

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2018-1-8 10:26
The drone was drifting while landing causing increase in the distance from the home point.

The records shows there was almost 2 ft away every 1 ft downward.

It's nice to see some sort of "Darwinian" process happening to cull the irresponsible operators' gadgets
2018-1-8
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

stealther Posted at 2018-1-8 11:21
It's nice to see some sort of "Darwinian" process happening to cull the irresponsible operators' gadgets

I am not sure what "GPS no match" or "Speed Error" mean. It may be a glitch with the firmware or something that DJI can fix. But at the time it says that the remaining battery power is only enough for RTH, i would have pressed the RTH button..
sorry for your loss though
2018-1-8
Use props
fans209e8746
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754872 ft
Australia

We get more than 500 metres in oz in ce depending on environment on my farm I get 1.5 kilometres no problem no hack
Just don’t do it over suburbia and all good
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans209e8746 Posted at 2018-1-8 15:29
We get more than 500 metres in oz in ce depending on environment on my farm I get 1.5 kilometres no problem no hack

Think you will find he was over 2km and not completely over open space.
2018-1-8
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-1-8 14:25
I am not sure what "GPS no match" or "Speed Error" mean. It may be a glitch with the firmware or something that DJI can fix. But at the time it says that the remaining battery power is only enough for RTH, i would have pressed the RTH button..
sorry for your loss though

I don't like the idea of hitting the RTH button.  He got there in Sport mode.  RTH would return at a slow speed that might be impeded by winds resulting in even slower ground speed.  Better to turn it around and manually fly home in Sport mode at a faster speed.

I think Sport mode makes for more efficient flight and will save the batteries for a given distance traveled.  I know the helicopters' rotor disks gain lift as they get faster airflow over them.  Hovering costs the most energy.
2018-1-8
Use props
stealther
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406486 ft
Australia

fans209e8746 Posted at 2018-1-8 15:29
We get more than 500 metres in oz in ce depending on environment on my farm I get 1.5 kilometres no problem no hack

That's because we're not using the CE spec... it is SRRC which is the same power as FCC on 5.8Ghz, but the same as CE on 2.4.
2018-1-8
Use props
fans209e8746
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754872 ft
Australia

I’m just saying we need to practice safe flying if something goes wrong there’s no one around who’ll get hurt
2018-1-8
Use props
Chirpz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20256 ft
United States

Well, that flight was an example of what not to do when flying a spark.  
2018-1-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules