Height limit
1747 21 2018-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prsmeds
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3711 ft
United States

Is there any place where you can get the full altitude of a drone legally because in the U.S., where I am, the FAA doesnt let you go higher than 400 ft.....
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Some countries allow you slightly higher not 1600 ft though, with permission I think FAA rules allow you to go 400 ft above highest building within certain distance, so this could put you up to max.
2018-1-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Prsmeds, I would recommend you learn about the regulation from our website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer. And it is dangerous for drone to fly across the cloud or fog. Please pay attention to the environment if you want to fly as high as possible.
2018-1-10
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-10 00:32
Prsmeds, I would recommend you learn about the regulation from our website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer. And it is dangerous for drone to fly across the cloud or fog. Please pay attention to the environment if you want to fly as high as possible.

I understand, but is it legal in america to try to reach the heighth limit?
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's illegal to place manned aircraft at risk with a UAV and crashing a UAV into a manned aircraft is a serious criminal offence. The guidelines set by the FAA are there to help prevent you from doing that i.e. at 400' above the ground that the drone is flying over it is just 100' below manned airspace. Five miles from an airport affords aircraft time and space to fully ascend to a safe altitude that will minimise any conflict with a UAV. Flying in visual line of sight enables you to physically see the drone and it's surrounding area so you can react immediately and take evasive action accordingly to prevent a collision. Flying a drone a mile away at 1,640' above the ground massively increases the risk to manned aircraft. If you take off from the bottom of a 500' hill and fly up the hill at 400' AGL your altitude will be 900' above the home point from where it took off but still only 400' AGL (the peak of the hill). It's important that you know that the altitude reading in your app is assessed against the home point and not the ground - so you need to ensure you understand the terrain you are flying over and do your best to uphold the prevention of reckless flight and never place other people at risk with your drone, especially aircraft - it is your responsibility to fly away from manned aircraft and effectively 'give way' at all times. This is why DJI have invested in geofencing NFZ's in their FW and app. So, to be safe, keep the drone under 400' above the ground and in line of sight at all times as the FAA advise and do not profit from the use of the drone without passing part 107 which you will need for commercial opertaions and has a seperapte set of guidelines. It is still a very grey and debatable area but I hope this helps.
2018-1-11
Use props
JJLMSU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37457 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 17:33
It's illegal to place manned aircraft at risk with a UAV and crashing a UAV into a manned aircraft is a serious criminal offence. The guidelines set by the FAA are there to help prevent you from doing that i.e. at 400' above the ground that the drone is flying over it is just 100' below manned airspace. Five miles from an airport affords aircraft time and space to fully ascend to a safe altitude that will minimise any conflict with a UAV. Flying in visual line of sight enables you to physically see the drone and it's surrounding area so you can react immediately and take evasive action accordingly to prevent a collision. Flying a drone a mile away at 1,640' above the ground massively increases the risk to manned aircraft. If you take off from the bottom of a 500' hill and fly up the hill at 400' AGL your altitude will be 900' above the home point from where it took off but still only 400' AGL (the peak of the hill). It's important that you know that the altitude reading in your app is assessed against the home point and not the ground - so you need to ensure you understand the terrain you are flying over and do your best to uphold the prevention of reckless flight and never place other people at risk with your drone, especially aircraft - it is your responsibility to fly away from manned aircraft and effectively 'give way' at all times. This is why DJI have invested in geofencing NFZ's in their FW and app. So, to be safe, keep the drone under 400' above the ground and in line of sight at all times as the FAA advise and do not profit from the use of the drone without passing part 107 which you will need for commercial opertaions and has a seperapte set of guidelines. It is still a very grey and debatable area but I hope this helps.

Well said Captain, this was great info
2018-1-11
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 17:33
It's illegal to place manned aircraft at risk with a UAV and crashing a UAV into a manned aircraft is a serious criminal offence. The guidelines set by the FAA are there to help prevent you from doing that i.e. at 400' above the ground that the drone is flying over it is just 100' below manned airspace. Five miles from an airport affords aircraft time and space to fully ascend to a safe altitude that will minimise any conflict with a UAV. Flying in visual line of sight enables you to physically see the drone and it's surrounding area so you can react immediately and take evasive action accordingly to prevent a collision. Flying a drone a mile away at 1,640' above the ground massively increases the risk to manned aircraft. If you take off from the bottom of a 500' hill and fly up the hill at 400' AGL your altitude will be 900' above the home point from where it took off but still only 400' AGL (the peak of the hill). It's important that you know that the altitude reading in your app is assessed against the home point and not the ground - so you need to ensure you understand the terrain you are flying over and do your best to uphold the prevention of reckless flight and never place other people at risk with your drone, especially aircraft - it is your responsibility to fly away from manned aircraft and effectively 'give way' at all times. This is why DJI have invested in geofencing NFZ's in their FW and app. So, to be safe, keep the drone under 400' above the ground and in line of sight at all times as the FAA advise and do not profit from the use of the drone without passing part 107 which you will need for commercial opertaions and has a seperapte set of guidelines. It is still a very grey and debatable area but I hope this helps.

So it is legal, at your. own risk?
2018-1-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

As long max height isnt defined as MASL:
When we start a drone on a hilltop and flying it over the top, it is probably illegal, to stay 50/90/100m over the starting height, all the time, in case the ground under the AC is, lets say, 100, 200m deeper as the starting height. Right?
But it wouldn't be illegal, to gain back that height, as soon you are flying back to the hill top.
Isn't that implicating that the reverse way, starting at a bottom of a hill and flying up its slopes, it must be legal to fly up to the max legal height OVER the ground under the drone?
Even if that means to fly, lets say 100m over the hilltop which is 400m over the homepoint?
Just a thought
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is your drone placing manned aircraft at risk? If so, reduce altitude immediately. Is your drone more than 400’ above the ground - if so, you’re advised to lower altitude immediately. For me, it’s not about numbers but reducing risk - after all, you could hit an emergency helicopter at 100’... and still go to prison!
2018-1-11
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

Why do you want to fly higher when there are civilian aircrafts flying at minimum 250 meters up in the sky especially private jets
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prsmeds Posted at 2018-1-11 18:53

What do you think the answer is after reading my response? If you require even further clarification then I suggest you contact the FAA directly before you fly and let us know what they tell you. Thanks.
2018-1-11
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Prsmeds Posted at 2018-1-11 18:53

No, it is not legal.
Illegal at own risk.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJLMSU Posted at 2018-1-11 18:10
Well said Captain, this was great info

Thanks very much mate - glad you got it
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Prsmeds Posted at 2018-1-11 15:46
I understand, but is it legal in america to try to reach the heighth limit?

Sir, we would not recommend you reach the limitation. I think you can learn more info and talk to the local authority. Thanks for your support.  
2018-1-18
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-18 00:05
Sir, we would not recommend you reach the limitation. I think you can learn more info and talk to the local authority. Thanks for your support.

Ok, thanks for the help
2018-1-22
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 23:26
What do you think the answer is after reading my response? If you require even further clarification then I suggest you contact the FAA directly before you fly and let us know what they tell you. Thanks.

yes, coach
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Indeed, technically illegal, at your own risk.
2018-1-22
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry, I try to be civil with everyone, but this person is the type that makes things difficult for the rest of us who are trying to do the right thing.

This device you purchased isn't a toy. It can be potentially very dangerous. As rare as the possibility may be, it is always there. You are responsible for what you do with that UAV. I would suggest that you learn all you can BEFORE you fly.  

I know the excitement of getting a new product,  you just want to get out there and see what it'll do. I get it. This isn't one of those things that you can do that with. It is very important that you learn the right things and then do them.
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2018-1-22 11:54
I'm sorry, I try to be civil with everyone, but this person is the type that makes things difficult for the rest of us who are trying to do the right thing.

This device you purchased isn't a toy. It can be potentially very dangerous. As rare as the possibility may be, it is always there. You are responsible for what you do with that UAV. I would suggest that you learn all you can BEFORE you fly.  

I totally agree but you'll generally make more of a difference if you explain why they can't by highlighting the risks and potential impact rather than telling them that they can not - if that makes sense.
2018-1-22
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-22 12:12
I totally agree but you'll generally make more of a difference if you explain why they can't by highlighting the risks and potential impact rather than telling them that they can not - if that makes sense.

It does and I think you did a great job of doing that. I commend you for spending the time it took to do so. The problem is;  some people just don't want to hear it and refuse to listen.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is frustrating for sure and all it will take is one major mid air collision or, dare I say it, a fatality involving a drone and game over for this hobby! People forget that it’s not just 747’s up there but single manned gliders and air balloons etc... At least the OP asked about it unlike some of them - even if he clearly didn’t like the answer presented (they never do). As you rightly stated - they are not toys and are not designed for children to play with!
2018-1-23
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.2
United States

S.J Posted at 2018-1-11 23:18
Why do you want to fly higher when there are civilian aircrafts flying at minimum 250 meters up in the sky especially private jets

Frick yeah I do, but whatever
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules