Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there a minimum temperature that its unsafe?
957 2 2018-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phantompilot01

United States

Before going out and attempting to fly my standard P3 in 5 degree Fahrenheit weather, is anything diminished in terms of performance and is there a minimum temperature to where I should not go lower than to fly?
2018-1-9
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

You will read allsorts of opinions on this ....

Generally the LiPo will need to be warm - common statement.
You may have lower power capability of the LiPo - could be in terms of max power or run time - common statement.

Some people believe DJI 'reserved temp' statement that actually is a protectionist figure ... and you can easily fly at much lower temps.

For most - the limiting factor is not the DJI drone itself - but the PIlot and dare I say - the touch screen of the display. Pilot and Touch Screen do not like being cold !

One item to be clued up on if you fly in real cold - Controller buttons / switches ... because when that touch screen plays up- you need to know what to push on the controller.

OK ... what items do you need for successful cold weather flying ?

First and foremost is YOU wrapped up good.
Think about Touch Screen TIPPED gloves ... ebay has plenty for small money .. try to get thin so you have stick feel.

Think about how you get to flight site and warm so AC and gear is warm before venturing outside.

Think about how you keep batterys warm ... its not always practical to put inside coat or pocket ... so I use this :

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turn ... v-dc.html?wrh_pdp=3

It runs of any 12v source .. such as cigarette lighter in car etc. I use an old 3S lipo ...

I also have picnic bags with insulation ... and even a Hot / Cold Box - but that's only rare I need that.

So that should have you warm and suitable to go.

At flight site - do not put AC or batterys outside to stand until immediately before you are going to fly. Try to get RC and tablet setup first .. THEN AC and last of all battery in ... that way you maximise warmth of AC and Battery to reduce any warm up time on ground.

Some people then suggest taking off and hovering for a minute or so to 'get battery juices flowing' ........... personally I don't do this. IMHO - I always lift off .. hover for a few seconds to see if AC is steady (this indicates if any problems by Toilet Bowl effect or similar) ... then go .. Why not longer ? If it takes off without problem - then that means FW accepts and should be safe to fly.

I do suggest though that flight times are kept marginally shorter than those in warmer times. I usually fly about 18 mins in summer ... but in winter I reduce to 13 - 15 minutes just to be safe and know I have plenty of battery left.

Good luck ...

Note - the above is MY setup ... others may differ ... there are many ways to  accomplish this.

Nigel
2018-1-9
Use props
phantompilot01

United States

much appreciated!  I will definitely use your advice.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules