Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello,

For the first time after having my DJI Spark for 6 months I got a Yaw error and the drone left with the wind. I still had control, but it was flying away with the wind. My daughter had control and quickly handed the controller over to me.
I was able to bring back the drone, but my daughter is now scared to fly. This is the first time it gave me an error. Could it be a firmware issue????

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=ZcZRiQ

And yes, I know it also gave me a notification about the temperature....
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Would you mind uploading your flightrecord to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us?
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-9 07:49
Would you mind uploading your flightrecord to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TR94PKHQO23UO92H9ZQ8/
2018-1-9
Use props
asourceunknown
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7021 ft
United States

This is the 7th report of a yaw error that i have seen on these forums and the reddit DJI Spark forum. I'm seriously starting to think that the latest .900 firmware may have some issues.
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-9 08:04

Thank you. I cannot say what might have caused the yaw errors, but in the follow up there were compass errors as well which caused the Spark to switch into ATTI mode. In ATTI the Spark is much more difficult to fly because it cannot stabilise its position and cannot reduce speed by itself either. But you still had manual control with your RC and managed to bring it back, well done. In ATTI mode stick movements have to be 100% in order to be effective I have learned here from others. Later you got GPS link again and Spark should have been back to normal behaviour.
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

asourceunknown Posted at 2018-1-9 08:09
This is the 7th report of a yaw error that i have seen on these forums and the reddit DJI Spark forum. I'm seriously starting to think that the latest .900 firmware may have some issues.

exactly my thoughts
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

This is the 7th report of a yaw error that i have seen on these forums and the reddit DJI Spark forum. I'm seriously starting to think that the latest .900 firmware may have some issues.

There are hundreds of reports with older firmware too. Problems most of the time start with yaw errors or compass errors or both. Only because there was a firmware update recently and thereafter there have been new reports about yaw errors there is not necessarily a link. Just users tend to think at it as a possible reason. I am not saying that it's impossible, but so far we don't know enough yet for a valid conclusion is my opinion.
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-9 08:35
There are hundreds of reports with older firmware too. Problems most of the time start with yaw errors or compass errors or both. Only because there was a frirmware update recently and thereafter there have been new reports about yaw errors there is not necessarily a link. Just users tend to think at it as a possible reason. I am not saying that it's impossible, but so far we don't know enough yet for a valid conclusion is my opinion.

I know, but I've flown lots of flights in 6 months without an issue. Thank god I have enough experience to control my drone without GPS.
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-9 08:38
I know, but I've flown lots of flights in 6 months without an issue. Thank god I have enough experience to control my drone without GPS.

Same for me, never experienced ATTI mode so far (exept inhouse, which doesn't count). But I try to be mentally and information wise prepared for the day it will happen.
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-9 08:44
Same for me, never experienced ATTI mode so far (exept inhouse, which doesn't count). But I try to be mentally and information wise prepared for the day it will happen.

Back in 2015 I had a Yuneec drone that went to ATTI mode every 3 or 4 flights. So I know what to expect No I own this little monster and a Yuneec Typhoon H which never caused my any problems....
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-9 08:04

Could you have been in an area of magnetic interference, I see what looks like a solar panel farm or something similar close to where you launched from?
Yaw error is magnetic yaw it’s basically your aircraft trying to go in a different direction than controller input, so IMU is trying to input correct commands from controller and compass is heading in a different direction.
Although some here are saying this is caused by firmware that’s not true, from day one we have seen yaw error followed closely by compass error and IMU heading exception aircraft drops gps and goes into Atti mode . So this has nothing to do with new firmware it has to do with bad compass caused by magnetic influence , this can happen for many reasons calibrating wrong, envoirment taking off from rebar concrete etc.
Had you calibrated your compass lately?
2018-1-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-9 11:16
Could you have been in an area of magnetic interference, I see what looks like a solar panel farm or something similar close to where you launched from?
Yaw error is magnetic yaw it’s basically your aircraft trying to go in a different direction than controller input, so IMU is trying to input correct commands from controller and compass is heading in a different direction.
Although some here are saying this is caused by firmware that’s not true, from day one we have seen yaw error followed closely by compass error and IMU heading exception aircraft drops gps and goes into Atti mode . So this has nothing to do with new firmware it has to do with bad compass caused by magnetic influence , this can happen for many reasons calibrating wrong, envoirment taking off from rebar concrete etc.

Yes, would agree.  Those are a huge number of solar panels in the field right behind where you were flying.  That could have certainly caused enough interference to fly the drone.  I've gotten enough interference from smaller bridges and electrical lines.  I can only imagine a few acres of solar panels could significantly interfere with the flight.  Just a hunch but a good suspect....
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-9 11:16
Although some here are saying this is caused by firmware that’s not true, from day one we have seen yaw error followed closely by compass error and IMU heading exception aircraft drops gps and goes into Atti mode . So this has nothing to do with new firmware it has to do with bad compass caused by magnetic influence , this can happen for many reasons calibrating wrong, envoirment taking off from rebar concrete etc.

Whaha, those aren’t solar panels those are giant greenhouses!
No there isn’t anything there that could cause magnetic interference. I was flying my yth there also without an issue.
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-9 12:53
Whaha, those aren’t solar panels  those are giant greenhouses!
No there isn’t anything there that could cause magnetic interference. I was flying my yth there also without an issue.

Well you had magnetic interference from somewhere, it’s certainly not coming from new firmware as it has been with us since sparks inception, it also occurs in Mavic phantom and inspire but they have the luxury of two compass and IMU.
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Okay, and why is it certainly not from the new firmware? I have flown for more than half a year without problems, also on that location. Firmware could have an issue.
2018-1-9
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

Could compass interference be caused by how the Spark is being transported or stored at home? If it is in a bag or sitting near a speaker or something else that has a magnet in it, could that cause a problem?
How about wearing a smart watch while flying? I presume it would be wise to take off or at least put in flight mode also. That may be getting overlooked sometimes.
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-9 13:45
Could compass interference be caused by how the Spark is being transported or stored at home? If it is in a bag or sitting near a speaker or something else that has a magnet in it, could that cause a problem?
How about wearing a smart watch while flying? I presume it would be wise to take off or at least put in flight mode also. That may be getting overlooked sometimes.

Compass is digital it can’t be affected when Aircraft is turned off.
2018-1-9
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-9 13:53
Compass is digital it can’t be affected when Aircraft is turned off.

Good to know.
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-9 13:45

The smart watches while flying are indeed an issue as documented in quite a number of posts here. Main problem is apparently the bluetooth connection with the smartphone.
2018-1-9
Use props
ADDvanced
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76204 ft
United States

This is the 7th report of a yaw error that i have seen on these forums and the reddit DJI Spark forum. I'm seriously starting to think that the latest .900 firmware may have some issues.

Agree 100%.  When I get my replacement spark, (after a fly away), I am going to be deathly afraid of flying it until they update again.
2018-1-9
Use props
Expedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149613 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I experienced similar behavior since the last firmware update. I have enough flight experience to be sure it’s not caused by smartwatches, wind or the moon ..
Besides that nothing changed (location, weather, setting) except the last update. I got two compass errors lately which were absolutely outstanding (same field I fly from time to time, nothing out there iron, power lines etc.) and after a reboot they were gone. I also had 4 or 5 flights with extreme hovering from the beginning. After I landed immediately and rebooted the AC the problems were gone. Nothing else happened ever before the last update.

I will give it a try and do a second reinstall tomorrow.
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

How do you explain yaw error in June,July,August,September,October,November,December......
2018-1-9
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I can produce yaw errors with Spark on demand when doing really tight loops in Sports mode after straight flight at maximum speed.
Theoretically, inertial forces should not affect the magnetometer (colloquially known as a compass) but maybe GPS sampling rate is too slow so GPS readings mismatch with the magnetometer readings. Just very wild guesses, I am sure DJI engineers would know better.
Anyway, I am totally not bothered with it as long as other systems are not affected.
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-9 15:26
I can produce yaw errors with Spark on demand when doing really tight loops in Sports mode after straight flight at maximum speed.
Theoretically, inertial forces should not affect the magnetometer (colloquially known as a compass) but maybe GPS sampling rate is too slow so GPS readings mismatch with the magnetometer readings. Just very wild guesses, I am sure DJI engineers would know better.
Anyway, I am totally not bothered with it as long as other systems are not affected.

Some flight log showing this might be interesting, are you sure it’s not speed error.
2018-1-9
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-9 15:32
Some flight log showing this might be interesting, are you sure it’s not speed error.

Yep, pretty much sure. Never seen speed error unless I pimp some stuff too much.
2018-1-9
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

Downgrading to .0701 is painless and fairly easy.  You will need to also do every battery.

Though I am more inclined to believe that  spat of "yaw error" reports is just a statistical increase related to holiday sales numbers putting a lot more new fliers into the air.

I've gone back to .0701 - there does not appear to anything compelling in release notes for .0800 or the customary immediate followup to .0900.  Seems to be fair amount of whining about .0900 without taking any action and downgrading.  So, I have little sympathy.

To assume that newer firmware has fewer bugs than the previous firmware versions, is naive. I've been in the business long enough to know that even seemingly minor changes in code can cause a large number of regressions.
2018-1-9
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

I will put it up in the air again in the weekend and see how things are going
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-9 22:06
I will put it up in the air again in the weekend and see how things are going

Sir, just to verify, did you crash your drone before? Please fly in a place with good GPS signal and recommended environment. Please do not fly your spark with wind. Please keep us updated, thanks.
flight environment.PNG
2018-1-9
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

again these yaw errors, Questions:
Is it always android?
Is it seen after 4.1.15?
Is it seen on 4.1.15 with OTG?
Is it seen before 4.1.15?
2018-1-10
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-9 22:37
Sir, just to verify, did you crash your drone before? Please fly in a place with good GPS signal and recommended environment. Please do not fly your spark with wind. Please keep us updated, thanks.

Dear DJI Elektra,
I have never crashed my Spark. Even now with the Yaw error I have brought back the Spark safely.
I did not have a message stating there was high wind (did have that message in previous flights). GPS stated 18 sattelites, so that should be more than enough.
I'll keep you up to date.
2018-1-10
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jos A Posted at 2018-1-10 00:23
again these yaw errors, Questions:
Is it always android?
Is it seen after 4.1.15?

Hi,
Nope....
I was on IOS 11.2.1 (latest)
DJI Go v4.1.22 (3037)
I was without OTG
first time I have the error since I bought it (one of the first in the Netherlands half a year ago)
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MaikR Posted at 2018-1-10 01:12
Dear DJI Elektra,
I have never crashed my Spark. Even now with the Yaw error I have brought back the Spark safely.
I did not have a message stating there was high wind (did have that message in previous flights). GPS stated 18 sattelites, so that should be more than enough.

Sir, I would not recommend you fly with high wind. Please fly in recommended environment. If you continue to get the message, please export the flight data and the black box for further analysis. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-16
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I do not see any extreme values, speed and / or yaw rates, so another YAW error caused by....guess DJI knows the answer!Cheers JJB

spark analysis.png
2018-1-16
Use props
djiuser_ah3HxAM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318970 ft
Czechia

You can see, that the yaw error started after turn around, after fly one small circle. I observed it on my flights 2 times too. I had 2 time the same problem and the sequence of yaw, atti,... everytime started after doing circle in flight. Maybe its coincidence, but it was in both my cases after circle to right, like in yours. I saw in this cases in my flight, that horizont of recorded video in this time was tilted little to side. After it recovered from errors during flight, horizont narroved. Maybe you will see it in your record too if you have one. I saw, that i usualy had gyroscope after drone power on in orange range little under value 20. compass and accelerometer were ok. Then i did imu calibration, gyro after power on is green around 10 and after few seconds it settles around 5 to 7. Since imu calibration, ive never seen this problem. Maybe its the gyroscope problem.
2018-1-16
Use props
djiuser_ah3HxAM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318970 ft
Czechia

Try to power on drone and check imu values in first one minute on the ground. I gues it will at least in first 15 seconds raise above 10 and then it will not go lower.
2018-1-16
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Why US to find out?? DJI must take there responsibilities to find what caused this, and quick!
2018-1-16
Use props
Strobing_NYC_Sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

I agree I have been a victim of Yaw errors for no apparent reason. Same flight location,same everything. One flight zero issue the next I get a Yaw error, and straight to ATTI mode. I believe there is an issue either hardware or software
2018-1-16
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Strobing_NYC_Sp Posted at 2018-1-16 13:01
I agree I have been a victim of Yaw errors for no apparent reason. Same flight location,same everything. One flight zero issue the next I get a Yaw error, and straight to ATTI mode. I believe there is an issue either hardware or software

Yes, there must be an issue. I fly for 4 years now. The only time I got this issues is when there was a hardware malfunction.
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules