Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Synch Issue...Side to Side
350 8 2018-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Looking at a new Phantom 4 Standard Refurbished model.
Straight out of the box it was fully updated with the latest updates for both Drone, RC, and Batt.  Using the latest GO 4 app v4.1.20.
Everything worked as advertised except...when moving the quad side to side (Mode 2: Rigth Stick left & right) the Gimbal does not synchronize its movement with that of the drone.  This is to say that when the bird banks, video shows the banking action, rather than maintaining a level horizon.  In all other axis it does not show this behavior i.e. it remains stable.    The system does not show any error messages or warnings related to this problem, such as Gimbal Warnings of any kind.  IMU does take about 1 minute +/- some to warm up on a cold day.

1) What would cause this?
2) How can it be fixed?

Theory - Gimbal may require calibration or it is malfunctioning

Some recommendations out there have stated that an IMU calibration may be required as well as a Gimbal Calibration.  Since system does not call for an IMU Calibration I am suspect of this recommendation.

Looking for any advice, recommendations, and sharing of experience & knowledge on this issue, please?
2018-1-9
Use props
Pareja IV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Have a look in the app at the gimbal mode, perhaps you have activated FPV mode instead of Follow mode
2018-1-9
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Pareja IV Posted at 2018-1-9 11:21
Have a look in the app at the gimbal mode, perhaps you have activated FPV mode instead of Follow mode

Good point, it is/was in Follow Mode
2018-1-9
Use props
Vendex
First Officer
Flight distance : 10697411 ft
Bulgaria

In such thing, calibration is needed, IMU, Gimbal ... VPS (if needed) etc. Maybe aircraft default settings also (from DJI Assistant 2 - Restore factory defaults) but before calibration procedures
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Vendex Posted at 2018-1-9 11:55
In such thing, calibration is needed, IMU, Gimbal ... VPS (if needed) etc. Maybe aircraft default settings also (from DJI Assistant 2 - Restore factory defaults) but before calibration procedures

Follow Me mode looks like you are wearing goggles. Easy to fix, or switch...

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Congrats on the Phantom 4, by the way.... ;-)

Enjoy that drone, as you do, your time well spent while in the forum. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sounds like Vendexs suggestion would be the best thing to try first.

The IMU calibration method used on the P4 changed (I seem to remember with the 02.00.0106 build), and seems to work well. With the old method there was some correlation between calibration ambient temperature and IMU warm up time on start up. With the newer (3D?) method I calibrated mine at room temperature and the IMU initialisation at start-up takes less than ten  seconds, with the P4 initialising itself from power up in about twenty seconds. Note that these times are my 'guesstimate' no stop watch was harmed during this measurement :-)
It would also depend on the angle of the bank, or perhaps wind, I would think, something I've not really been aware of. But when recording video I try and avoid any sudden movement.

Edit:- What are the firmware builds being used ? There are some known issues with 02.00.0106 build, possible instabilities in flight (wobbling) and recording cutting off and gimbal reset when recording in 4k @ 30 fps (blank screen for short while). These have been resolved for most with the 02.00.0600 (and now 02.00.0700) Beta release.
2018-1-9
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Vendex Posted at 2018-1-9 11:55

Good point reference resetting to defaults, and I can do this from Assistant 2?
Thanks for your input on this!
2018-1-9
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-1-9 12:33
It sounds like Vendexs suggestion would be the best thing to try first.

The calibration method used on the P4 changed (I seem to remember with the 02.00.0106 build), and seems to work well. With the old method there was some correlation between calibration ambient temperature and IMU warm up time on start up. With the newer (3D?) method I calibrated mine at room temperature and the IMU initialisation at start-up takes less than ten  seconds, with the P4 initialising itself from power up in about twenty seconds. Note that these times are my 'guesstimate' no stop watch was harmed during this measurement :-)

Thanks Aardvark
I will work with the owner to get these worked
I have to check the FW build but I thought it was the .106
When the bird was activated it showed it was all current and up to date, not updates were required or recommended.  Further, none of the issues you described were evident during the several flights made, except for the one mentioned and only in the axis stated.
I was unaware that the IMU process was improved, I have never done one but I was still under the impression that one needed to do it at the lowest temp possible to avoid long warm ups etc.  That is good news.
I'll need to get back to you on this for the details.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules