What I am doing wrong when filming?
1232 9 2018-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crammm69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4596 ft
United States

Everytime I am done playing around with my Mavic I go home to check the footage and it seems a bit more choppy and just not as high quality as other videos I see online. I have been shooting in 1080p as my current macbook pro cannot edit the 4k or play it back. I have an ND filter on, shoot in manual mode at 24fps. Any help or advice would be great. Im currently shopping for a new macbook pro so that I can shoot in 4k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T0RVONqBQ
2018-1-9
Use props
Legit Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 894465 ft
United States

I'm having a similar problem with my Inspire . It ends up have a lot of noise and artifacts in the footage.
2018-1-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Try shooting a quick one at 30 fps.  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it may be the fps.  What was your shutter speed?
2018-1-9
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

There are many variables when it comes to making footage look good.
What program are you using to edit the footage ?

Head over to youtube and checkout anything about Color Grading footage from Mavic to improve your video.
It seems that you are also shooting in Auto exposure mode ? This would be a problem in Winter time as the white snow will trick the camera into thinking its brighter than it actually is.
Under the camera settings turn on the histogram and learn to use the manual exposure settings to adjust it more suitably.

2018-1-9
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try not using filters just to see the difference.
2018-1-9
Use props
crammm69
lvl.3
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-9 19:56
Try shooting a quick one at 30 fps.  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it may be the fps.  What was your shutter speed?

I am using a 1/50 Shutter speed with the 24fps. I always read to use the 180 degree rule. That was why I purchased the filters to start.
2018-1-9
Use props
crammm69
lvl.3
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-1-9 20:02
There are many variables when it comes to making footage look good.
What program are you using to edit the footage ?

This is actually all in manual mode. I shot in D-log and used iMovie to color correct. I think after reading more I may need something more professional like Final Cut Pro
2018-1-9
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

crammm69 Posted at 2018-1-9 20:46
This is actually all in manual mode. I shot in D-log and used iMovie to color correct. I think after reading more I may need something more professional like Final Cut Pro

Yeah the features of iMovie might not be up to scratch when it comes to d-log.
Although d-cinelike I can do in iMovie.
2018-1-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

crammm69 Posted at 2018-1-9 20:45
I am using a 1/50 Shutter speed with the 24fps. I always read to use the 180 degree rule. That was why I purchased the filters to start.

You're right about the fps to shutter speed.  But I still suggest you do a quick shoot at 30 fps.  Lemme know if that solves the problem.  Thanks.
2018-1-9
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I wonder if the program you are using to view the video or the macbook are not up to the task because I really could not see anything wrong with your video. It is smooth, the colours are ok for the lighting and there was no choppiness at all.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules