What iOS device?
4951 16 2015-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I have an iphone 6 that I plan on using with the DJI phantom 3.   I'd maybe like something bigger.   Either an ipad or an ipad mini.   Which would be better as far as holding a remote and ipad regarding weight (ipad mini or ipad).    Is the ipad too big?   Is the ipad mini middle ground.

I currently have an Ipad retina (ipad 4th gen), It seems that it is not supported with the DJI pilot software.   So, I need to look into getting something bigger than my iphone.   I'd like to go used.....maybe used mini ipad.   There's the air and the air 2.   Obviously an older generation would be cheaper for me to aquire.   Would the performance be the same with the air vs. the air 2?   If so, then there's no real reason to get the latest since I won't be using the mini for anything other than use with the phantom 3
2015-4-22
Use props
HEB1022
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25571 ft
United States

I am also looking, and considering a use/refurbished IPAD Mini 2.  I have an IPAD Air that is compatible, but I believe it will be too big for the remote.  I might try it, along with my iphone 6, before picking up one.
2015-4-22
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

If the iphone 6 keeps me happy.  I'm good but I think a mini is a good fit.  Another thread mentioned an NVIDIA shield, but I don't have any android experience
2015-4-22
Use props
randywgreen
lvl.2

United States

You can pick up a refurbished iPad 2 mini 16GB wifi for $249 on Apples site http://store.apple.com/us/browse ... d/ipad_mini_2/wi_fi
2015-4-22
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Excellent.  That's cheaper than any other place.  and has a warranty

2015-4-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

randywgreen@gma Posted at 2015-4-22 22:47
You can pick up a refurbished iPad 2 mini 16GB wifi for $249 on Apples site http://store.apple.com/u ...

I use the iPad mini 2.  It works great for me with my Inspire and my P3.  I also use an Android Galaxy S4 phone.  The screen is small and the video not as smooth but for a transportable option it is fine.
2015-4-22
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

on order.  thanks!
2015-4-22
Use props
tomclark
New

United States

HEB1022 Posted at 2015-4-22 22:12
I am also looking, and considering a use/refurbished IPAD Mini 2.  I have an IPAD Air that is compat ...

I have an IPAD Air and it fits just fine.  Using a Samsung Galaxy S5 for the app intil new one for IPAD is released.
2015-4-30
Use props
YKM
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hong Kong

it is important to buy a WiFi+Cellular version with GPS built-in.
2015-4-30
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

YKM Posted at 2015-4-30 21:12
it is important to buy a WiFi+Cellular version with GPS built-in.

The iPad Air will fit, but just barely.  So much so that you will have to remove it from any case.  I have a thin Joy Factory case that must be removed before it squeezes in...
2015-4-30
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
United States

bobasbury Posted at 2015-4-30 22:17
The iPad Air will fit, but just barely.  So much so that you will have to remove it from any case. ...

I'm trying to decide between an Ipad Air2 and an Ipad Mini3. If the Ipad Air just fits into the mount, how does it feel with it stuck on the controller? Does it seem heavy at all, or maybe even a little too big? Just curious on peoples personal opinion. I can see the benefit of the bigger screen, but I can also see the benefit of a lighter tablet stuck onto the controller.
2015-4-30
Use props
joe.couture
New

United States

raynelang@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 23:33
I'm trying to decide between an Ipad Air2 and an Ipad Mini3. If the Ipad Air just fits into the mo ...

NO IOS APP is available.  Have phantom 3 and its junk unless you buy an android device.
2015-4-30
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
United States

joe.couture@gma Posted at 2015-5-1 03:03
NO IOS APP is available.  Have phantom 3 and its junk unless you buy an android device.

Yes. I am aware that temporarily the iOS app does not work.  Hissy fit aside I'm interested in knowing what people think WILL work the best when the app gets released.
2015-4-30
Use props
ksdigitaldavid
lvl.1

United States

Is it true that my iPad 3 mini wifi must have cellular service as well? Don't the wifi versions without cellular have gps in them?
Also, the holder on the remote is about a half inch too small to hold a regular ipad.
2015-4-30
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

ksdigitaldavid@ Posted at 2015-5-1 07:28
Is it true that my iPad 3 mini wifi must have cellular service as well? Don't the wifi versions with ...

WiFi iPad model do not have a GPS in them. You can use a WiFi model to operate a P3, but features that would require a GPS on your iOS device will not work.

I am able to fit an iPad Air 2 on the holder just fine. I can not, fit an iPad 2 on the holder. That doesn't really matter since the iPad 2 doesn't work with the P3.
2015-4-30
Use props
ksdigitaldavid
lvl.1

United States

The iPad 3 mini is on the list of acceptable devices so that is what I bought. Now I can't actually get full functionality with that ipad?  What features will I not be able to use? This has not been explained as far as I can find. I know if I want to upload live I would need cellular service. But why would I need gps in the iPad?
2015-4-30
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The iPad 2 Mini and iPad 3 Mini have the same processor. The only difference is that the iPad 3 Mini has a thumb print reader. FYI, if you want to save yourself some money.

You do not need GPS in order to use the DJI Pilot app. It could come in handy in the future though if DJI adds any features that require GPS on the mobile device (e.g. follow me) or if you install 3rd party software that includes such features.
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules