Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK Insurance
2934 21 2018-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi guys.

As some of you know I intend to progress to PfCO level but initially, whilst I'm a hobbyist, I still need some sort of theft and fly away insurance. Who do people recommend? And what sort of price can I expect to be paying. Some quotes have been eye watering :O
2018-1-10
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try these - https://www.insure4drones.co.uk/droneinsurance/coveroptions - no too bad - but some normal house contents insurance cover 'hobbyist' loss of drones - plus you will also need hobbyist insurance when your flying hobby flights ( not on the job) for third party cover ( FPVUK - BMFA type). as well as your commercial when "your on the job".
2018-1-10
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

https://www.coverdrone.com/ have started doing insurance for between the ground school and your flight assessment which is pretty handy. Not sure of pricing as I got it after finishing my PfCO.

Not sure about as a hobbyist though!
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For recreational use I add it as a specified item under gadget cover on my home insurance policy.
2018-1-11
Use props
dandyflyz
New
Flight distance : 6444 ft
United Kingdom

I pay about £350 of the top of my head for my commercial with https://droneguardinsurance.co.uk/

When I was looking at hobbyist cover I could only ever find DJI care.
2018-1-11
Use props
Mallory Dog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 997008 ft
United Kingdom

I've got my recreational insurance through FPVUK, radio controlled model aircraft club.
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks guys. Seems cheapest PL comes as part of BMFA membership £25 million cover if I've read correctly). Theft, flyaway, and other losses not covered by DJI refresh seem to cost a couple of hundred upwards.

I'll speak to my home insurance company about hobbyist use for now and work out my best options.

Thank you
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Are many of us Phantom flyers part of the BMFA? Or any other 'club'?
2018-1-11
Use props
scottmargetts
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198862 ft
United Kingdom

I found these guys at a conference - pay as you go ...
https://flockcover.com/
2018-1-11
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You don't need to be a member of any club to have BMFA - you are whats called a "country" member
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I spoke to my home insurance company (AA Insurance) and they do not cover drones at all, in any way. So I had to go for a dedicated policy and chose Photoguard. £2000 insured gear, £1 million PLI, no mechanical cover as I have DJI Refresh this year, came to £68 (£77 if D/D) so nay bad for now. I can upgrade it when I get PfCO to pro cover so I'm pretty happy
2018-1-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hazy Jay Posted at 2018-1-13 14:03
I spoke to my home insurance company (AA Insurance) and they do not cover drones at all, in any way. So I had to go for a dedicated policy and chose Photoguard. £2000 insured gear, £1 million PLI, no mechanical cover as I have DJI Refresh this year, came to £68 (£77 if D/D) so nay bad for now. I can upgrade it when I get PfCO to pro cover so I'm pretty happy

Jay, DJI Refresh need the old one to replace it. It will not be suitable for flyaway case. Hope you find the best solution.
2018-1-14
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-14 02:32
Jay, DJI Refresh need the old one to replace it. It will not be suitable for flyaway case. Hope you find the best solution.

I know. That's why I have refresh for mechanical cover and Photoguard for flyaway, theft, etc.
2018-1-14
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

My home insurance (through the Halifax) will not cover a drone in any circumstance, even if its stolen, so I had to revert to extra policies. Moonrock for my PfCO work (they also offer cover for training sessions for the flight test, and FPV UK for the hobby flights. Neither will cover both types. I also have DJI refresh for all of my drones as a sort of belt and braces.
2018-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Erm, When i took out the AA home contents the other day, i specifically asked if drone cover was included, she said yes, everything covered apart from fly away, if you crash youre coevered, just have to have the drone
2018-1-14
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-14 05:05
Erm, When i took out the AA home contents the other day, i specifically asked if drone cover was included, she said yes, everything covered apart from fly away, if you crash youre coevered, just have to have the drone

I was told in no uncertain times they do not cover drones. I'll phone them again tomorrow to double check but she went off in my call to speak to a manager. They do not cover mechanically propelled craft was her answer.

There's also a post on Phantom Pilots about someone who thought they were covered on home insurance but upon claiming was told they do not cover mechanically propelled craft.
2018-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats the same as what she did with me, she went off to speak to someone, thank fully the calls are recorded, i will speak again my self tomorrow
2018-1-14
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-14 07:27
Thats the same as what she did with me, she went off to speak to someone, thank fully the calls are recorded, i will speak again my self tomorrow

Yeah, let's both do that. I'll record my call too.
2018-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My apologies chap, i had just taken out car insurance with the AA and also contents for home at the time but, my home was taken out with the Post Office, not the AA, one got confused, the PO deffo covers drones except for fly aways, you must have the drone to make a claim
2018-1-15
Use props
15matjan
Captain
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Don't know if you need any, but these guys insure also on 3rd countries
Drone Insurance
2018-1-15
Use props
Barney2k
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ended up with Coverdrone on a recommendation from my chosen retailer.

They have a drone insurance page that takes you through the options.
2018-4-5
Use props
wobbles
Captain
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

i am covered with AVIVA home insurance ,at no extra cost, it covers the lot ..too so not a bad company ..
2018-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules