Pre-sale Question
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1127887 ft
United States

I guess this question is intended for experienced moderators and/or users.

I'm a professional real estate photographer and plan to purchase a Phantom 4 Advance+ Quadcopter, and I'm weighing my options between buying the controller with or without the attached display.  

I have been seeing recent serious software crashes with the latest Apple updates and Go 4 software, so I'm hesitent to use my own iPhone 6s Plus due to these software crashes. I would be using this drone to take aerial imagry and I could not afford to experience software issues like this.

My question is, if I were to purchase a controller with the built-on attached screen, would I ever be expericing software issues like this?  If the Go 4 software is downloaded into a tablet or smart phone, I can only assume a controller with attached display has a built-in processor?

Thanks for replying!

Frank

2018-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Without the display, allows you multiple use of the device you choose.

With the attached screen, you are locked down... So you can't use any other useful APPs like Litchi..

RedHotPoker
2018-1-10
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the forum. Like RedHotPoker said, the attached screen is an android tablet but you cannot load any 3rd party apps. I would go with the one without it and buy your own. I use an iPad Mini 4 and haven't had any issues at all.
One other thing I'd like to mention, I see you are in the USA. In order to legally use a drone in your real estate business, you will have to get a Part 107 license from the FAA. It isn't hard to get, lots of study material is available both free and paid. Then you take a test at a FAA approved testing center. Good luck!
2018-1-10
Use props
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
United States

Thanks RedHotPoker & FatherXmas.  Studying for the Part 107 now.  

But FatherXmas, you haven't had any software crashing issues I've been reading about within this forum?  DJI also posted something about it last month.  If not, I'm leaning more towards eventually getting an iPad mini or Samsung Tab A with at least 2GB as I've read some users are using this model tablet without any issues.

My iPhone 6s Plus has 2GB so I will likely just use that for starters, but I've read some users experienced software crashes with this phone as well. I'm surmising the issues are with needing at least 2 GB of RAM.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

Frank

2018-1-10
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As per #2 &3. I have used the iPad for all my craft in the past. iPad Mini 4 is awesome and have no complaints with the my P4A. Too many issues with the + versions on P4A & P4P.
2018-1-12
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I think RHP put his finger on it with not being able to use 3rd party apps and Litchi in particular is a very good one. One would expect however that an integrated display would not have the problems that other phablets have although I think it is not as widespread as one might be lead to believe. For instance I use what is a fairly old Nexus 7 2nd gen with no problems at the moment but it is probably at the limit of its processing power and the next iteration of software may well see it redundant. If I had to replace it I would probably go for an i pad mini4 which should be safe for quite a while. It also opens up the choice of having a spare fallback drone and being able to use the separate display with that. My choice would be a separate display from the approved list with the maximum processing power and I would go for a phablet  or tablet not a phone simply because they are larger have a better view and handling characteristics than a phone.
2018-1-12
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi Frank, if you want something to unpack and use without any fuss then the plus with integrated screen is probably best, for all the screen is better than any tablet in bright light conditions. You should however, be aware that the controller is limited to what DJI provides and use of third party software is not possible. The complaints in this forum about the plus are primarily when pilots want to develop their skills and hobby outside of the DJI set limits. For your job alone that should be no serious problem. Either which way you get the same bird, it is identical, it is only the controller that is different.

To the theme software, there is much discussion about problems here. Some, indeed many of the problems are self made. Against this, there are hundreds of thousand of people who have never ever had a problem; they are the silent majority. Apple and Android develop their software for their own gains; indeed they must; a manufacturer like DJI tries to keep up; not an enviable task. Sure DJI make mistakes but I am sure they try their best, they also work closely with Apple on joint marketing and promotion.

I do not believe that there is a danger of DJI blowing up your iPad or phone, or the GO app eating your client database. But like a wise doctor I offer no guarantees.

Whatever you decide, you are more likely to end up with a system that works and works well with a quality mostly not found elsewhere. Just remember its a high-tech game and requires high-tech equipment, this ages quickly and sometimes needs replacing or at minimum, time and effort to keep it up to date.

All the best for your studies - Dockater.
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Frank Biganski Posted at 2018-1-10 13:20
Thanks RedHotPoker & FatherXmas.  Studying for the Part 107 now.  

But FatherXmas, you haven't had any software crashing issues I've been reading about within this forum?  DJI also posted something about it last month.  If not, I'm leaning more towards eventually getting an iPad mini or Samsung Tab A with at least 2GB as I've read some users are using this model tablet without any issues.

Frank, iphone 6s is in our recommended list. If the app crashes, please provide us the crash log to further analysis. If your IOS system is 11.1, please upgrade to 11.2 or above and use our app. Thanks for your support.  
2018-1-14
Use props
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
United States

Thanks to all for your replies and insight.  I bought the P4P Advanced, connected my iPhone 6s Plus, and was immediately snowed-in from using it right away!  Oh the pain!  But this has given me plenty of time to review this beautiful beast and get a feeling for it. Registered with FAA...  this weekend is supposed to be great flying weather!  I definitely see an iPad Mini on the near horizon too.

Thanks again!

Frank
2018-1-18
Use props
fansdb6b2ab5
New
United States

Where are you a Photographer
2018-1-18
Use props
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
United States

In b-e-a-utiful downtown Hampton Virginia, which is between Williamsburg and Chesapeake/Virginia Beach in the Southeast coast.
Frank
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules