Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Another Crystalsky Problem (backlight out)
12202 78 2018-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Forestjim
Captain
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-4-4 18:45
I am part of the club now.. I just got one today and within 5 mins it stopped working

It’s not a very nice club to be in
Did your Backlight go on it or did it just die ?
2018-4-5
Use props
PilotSmith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>

Nothing is on
2018-4-5
Use props
JohnCR62
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17969 ft
United States

Update: I received another replacement Crystalsky Ultra on 3-30-18 (replacement time: 43 days).  I haven't used it too much yet, maybe about 30 minutes, but so far so good.  Based on what others are reporting, I'm not too optimistic.  If it goes out again, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get my money back.
2018-4-6
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

My Crystalsky Ultra monitor worked 4 minutes... Got hot and Black.  Fan did 1st turn on after screen died. Battery full and firmware updated. How do one get these replaced or refunded? Paid 1300$ and it worked (kind of) ONLY 1 single time...
2018-4-15
Use props
user976f681d20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 597598 ft
Canada

My 7.85" Crystal Sky Ultra Bright just died on a job. Flicker black then dead. Can see a very faint image. I guess the backlight blew. Nice giving this is only 32 days old. Great job DJI.
2018-4-19
Use props
JARNTZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59688 ft

For me the same... normal conditions, CSU’s back light starts flickering for 5 seconds and went out ... device was used around three hours in total. Still no devices available
2018-4-19
Use props
Mr.Mister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862854 ft
United States

I just had my third CS Ultra fail - yes, you read that right, my THIRD CS! The first two failed within just a few minutes of use, so I swapped them out with the dealer. The third one lasted just over 30 days so I have to send it in for repair. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that the problem has not been resolved.

Does anyone have any reliable information on whether DJI is taking the serious or not? Have they identified the problem?
2018-4-26
Use props
fanscba1e3c9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1214 ft
United States

Mr.Mister Posted at 2018-4-26 13:05
I just had my third CS Ultra fail - yes, you read that right, my THIRD CS! The first two failed within just a few minutes of use, so I swapped them out with the dealer. The third one lasted just over 30 days so I have to send it in for repair. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that the problem has not been resolved.

Does anyone have any reliable information on whether DJI is taking the serious or not? Have they identified the problem?

Same thing happened to me today.  Less then 1 hour on the monitor.   Gets hot then goes black.  I was in the air for a few minutes when it went down.  Unacceptable on every level.   
2018-5-9
Use props
la_panza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1123133 ft
  • >>>
Italy

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-4-4 18:45
I am part of the club now.. I just got one today and within 5 mins it stopped working

I am part of the club too, and in the end I resigned myself to buying two, not to have "dead times" when one gets shipped for service...

Mine has been perfectly working for over a month, with at least five or six actual flight hours plus some hours spent to install apps, configure and so on....

Then, one day, backlight started blinking quickly and after a while it died..

The repaired unit is on its way back... fingers crossed...

in the meantime I got another one that's still to be unboxed...  fingers crossed twice  :-)
2018-5-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

la_panza Posted at 2018-5-11 06:32
I am part of the club too, and in the end I resigned myself to buying two, not to have "dead times" when one gets shipped for service...

Mine has been perfectly working for over a month, with at least five or six actual flight hours plus some hours spent to install apps, configure and so on....

in the meantime I got another one that's still to be unboxed...  fingers crossed twice  :-)  

Now that's the spirit, crossed fingers.
But don't take any chances cross your toes on both feet too!  
2018-5-11
Use props
markfromnj
lvl.1
United States

Another sorrowful DJI owner joins the club. I bought mine in March 2018 from a local dealer (B&H Photo). I turned it on just long enough to set it up indoors and then for health reasons was unable to use it until today. Outside, beautiful spring day in New Jersey USA and maybe 23-24 degrees C. It ran for 8 minutes and then the backlight shut off mid-air never to turn on again.

I read that DJI redesigned these around the time I bought mine and that the new screens were better. I'm hoping that is true and I just got an old one. Just handed mine to the UPS guy today, hopefully I'll get it back fro DJI before it starts to snow again :J

When I get it back for sure I'm putting it outside at full bright on a 30C sunny day and running the battery down BEFORE it goes out of warranty. Sounds like DJI did not sufficiently test this beast before release. If it is still not fit for purpose, might as well find out now.
2018-5-26
Use props
userc4425ed55f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42871 ft
Australia

The performance of the CS ub is wooful. Load Antutu benchmark and see just how slow this thing is! On my mavic I have to turn off the wifi to get it to display anything approaching acceptable latency. For the price dji should be ashamed of themselves. My old ipad which I only use for flying is so much better apart from the brightness. I love android and am deeply disappointed with this unit
2018-6-6
Use props
uasflightops
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1273983 ft
  • >>>

Add me to that club Im fuming! day before I start shooting for the BBC black screen I own a second screen but thats supposed to be for the cam op and or Director CMON DJI GET THIS SORTED!!!!
2018-6-11
Use props
markfromnj
lvl.1
United States

markfromnj Posted at 2018-5-26 11:32
Another sorrowful DJI owner joins the club. I bought mine in March 2018 from a local dealer (B&H Photo). I turned it on just long enough to set it up indoors and then for health reasons was unable to use it until today. Outside, beautiful spring day in New Jersey USA and maybe 23-24 degrees C. It ran for 8 minutes and then the backlight shut off mid-air never to turn on again.

I read that DJI redesigned these around the time I bought mine and that the new screens were better. I'm hoping that is true and I just got an old one. Just handed mine to the UPS guy today, hopefully I'll get it back fro DJI before it starts to snow again :J

UPDATE:  it took UPS a week to get the box to DJI. They turned it around in four days. I got it back,  ran two batteries through it in the sun. The metal case gets so hot you can’t touch it but the device did not fail. And boy is it bright!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mr.Mister Posted at 2018-4-26 13:05
I just had my third CS Ultra fail - yes, you read that right, my THIRD CS! The first two failed within just a few minutes of use, so I swapped them out with the dealer. The third one lasted just over 30 days so I have to send it in for repair. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that the problem has not been resolved.

Does anyone have any reliable information on whether DJI is taking the serious or not? Have they identified the problem?

Sorry to hear about this. Have you got the returned unit? If yes, it is recommended to upgrade to the latest firmware and see whether it helps. If there is anything else we can help, please kindly advise.
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fanscba1e3c9 Posted at 2018-5-9 16:01
Same thing happened to me today.  Less then 1 hour on the monitor.   Gets hot then goes black.  I was in the air for a few minutes when it went down.  Unacceptable on every level.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support and tell us your case number, we'll keep follow up and help you figure this out soon.
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

la_panza Posted at 2018-5-11 06:32
I am part of the club too, and in the end I resigned myself to buying two, not to have "dead times" when one gets shipped for service...

Mine has been perfectly working for over a month, with at least five or six actual flight hours plus some hours spent to install apps, configure and so on....

Sir, have you received the returned unit? Does the CS work well when you test the performance?
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

uasflightops Posted at 2018-6-11 10:05
Add me to that club Im fuming! day before I start shooting for the BBC black screen I own a second screen but thats supposed to be for the cam op and or Director CMON DJI GET THIS SORTED!!!!

Sorry to read about this. Please kindly start a case and send it in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
Also, please kindly offer the CrystalSky SN and case number, we'll collect and forward to the right team for review.
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

markfromnj Posted at 2018-6-20 11:48
UPDATE:  it took UPS a week to get the box to DJI. They turned it around in four days. I got it back,  ran two batteries through it in the sun. The metal case gets so hot you can’t touch it but the device did not fail. And boy is it bright!

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's nice to hear you have received the returned unit and it works well now. If there is anything else we can help, please kindly advise.
2018-6-24
Use props
guido's account
lvl.4
Flight distance : 325269 ft
Spain

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. G.M.  Casualy my initials match those of Groucho Marx.
CristalSky story is a bitter joke without any grace.
Taking a support ticket for an other Ultra burned, 10 hours before a huge spot production.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

guido's account Posted at 2018-7-15 10:29
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. G.M.  Casualy my initials match those of Groucho Marx.
CristalSky story is a bitter joke without any grace.
Taking a support ticket for an other Ultra burned, 10 hours before a huge spot production.

Sorry to hear this. May I have your case number? We'll follow up and help you figure this out soon.
BTW, please click the reply button under my message so that I can get the reminder and handle it timely, thanks!
2018-8-5
Use props
Collywog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124032 ft
Ireland

I’ve had a crystal sky 7.85 high brightness monitor for a few months now. I have just bought a tablet mount for the iPad 4 mini I’m going to buy for flying. Crystalsky go4 app freezes every now and again while in flight, I seem to get more distance somehow with my phone, when I edit with it I end up with laggy unusable footage which happens as well in live view while flying sometimes. The updates for it are slow to ridiculously slow when compared to the mobile app. The last few times the crystalsky has stayed in my bag and I have just used my iPhone 6s Plus which says it all really. Crystalsky is good for looking at footage you have taken and I have a 128gb on it so I can offload footage while out and about. Crystalsky is a DJI product made for flying drones so it should be better than any mobile not any mobile being better than the crystalsky. I’m hoping for updates soon. I don’t want to sell it as I wouldn’t want to sell something to someone that does not work properly.
2018-8-24
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-12 04:08
John, I'm so sorry to read on the post, I'm afraid the CrystalSky must be sent in for repair service, please contact our support to start a ticket and send in at your earliest convenience. The team will take care of it and get it fixed, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Mindy,

My CrystalSky Ultra-bright Screen failed today mid flight Mavic 2 Pro. The backlight failed. Hurray for RTH.

It has less than 2 Hours usage but is 10 months old. I assume that its still under warranty.

I would likes some advice seeing that this appears to be a major persistent problem, HW fault. Will you Refund or Fix.

I don't want to be caught in 2 months time if its fixed and fails again and be out of warranty. Can you advise if the repairs will actually fix this issue?

Cheers Brian

2018-9-21
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-24 00:33
Sorry to hear about this. Have you got the returned unit? If yes, it is recommended to upgrade to the latest firmware and see whether it helps. If there is anything else we can help, please kindly advise.

Hi Susan,

My CrystalSky Ultra-bright Screen failed today mid flight Mavic 2 Pro. The backlight failed. Hurray for RTH.

It has less than 2 Hours usage but is 10 months old. I assume that its still under warranty.

I would likes some advice seeing that this appears to be a major persistent problem, HW fault. Will you Refund or Fix.

I don't want to be caught in 2 months time if its fixed and fails again and be out of warranty. Can you advise if the repairs will actually fix this issue?

Cheers Brian
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Collywog Posted at 2018-8-24 02:38
I’ve had a crystal sky 7.85 high brightness monitor for a few months now. I have just bought a tablet mount for the iPad 4 mini I’m going to buy for flying. Crystalsky go4 app freezes every now and again while in flight, I seem to get more distance somehow with my phone, when I edit with it I end up with laggy unusable footage which happens as well in live view while flying sometimes. The updates for it are slow to ridiculously slow when compared to the mobile app. The last few times the crystalsky has stayed in my bag and I have just used my iPhone 6s Plus which says it all really. Crystalsky is good for looking at footage you have taken and I have a 128gb on it so I can offload footage while out and about. Crystalsky is a DJI product made for flying drones so it should be better than any mobile not any mobile being better than the crystalsky. I’m hoping for updates soon. I don’t want to sell it as I wouldn’t want to sell something to someone that does not work properly.

Hi Collywog, sorry for the late response. May I know which drone do you fly? What's the current firmware and APP version of the CrystalSky? As for the freeze issue, please kindly send us a short video, we'd like to check the exact status.  For qualified pictures, you may check the original in the SD card for now.
2018-9-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 2018-9-21 22:54
Hi Susan,

Hi Brian, we're sorry to read the troubles. Please kindly start a case and send it in from here: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care and offer you a proper solution once the package arrived. As for the temperature control logic, this has been optimized in the latest firmware, you may visit this link: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
Please kindly update to the latest version after you receive the repaired/replaced unit, thanks!
2018-9-22
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-22 01:25
Hi Brian, we're sorry to read the troubles. Please kindly start a case and send it in from here: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care and offer you a proper solution once the package arrived. As for the temperature control logic, this has been optimized in the latest firmware, you may visit this link: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/CrystalSky/20180525/CrystalSky_Release_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
Please kindly update to the latest version after you receive the repaired/replaced unit, thanks!

Thanks Susan,

It had the latest FW. It didn't help. Has there been a HW update. Mine was one of the first batch?

I have raised an repair request.

Cheers
2018-9-24
Use props
JSKCKNIT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1208566 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a very sad thread to read.  I have the 5.5 monitor and have wanted to upgrade, but I can't justify the expense with all the issues.  
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 2018-9-24 05:48
Thanks Susan,

It had the latest FW. It didn't help. Has there been a HW update. Mine was one of the first batch?

Could you provide us with your case number? We'd like to follow up and help you get this addressed out soon.
2018-9-26
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-26 01:57
Could you provide us with your case number? We'd like to follow up and help you get this addressed out soon.

Thanks Susan,

Any help to get a good outcome would be most appreciated.

The case number is CAS-2291340-R3M3L6

Currently in the post.

Cheers
2018-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 2018-9-27 03:19
Thanks Susan,

Any help to get a good outcome would be most appreciated.

Well received, thank you! Upon checking the case log, the shipping label has been sent you, please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience. Also, we've noted this in the case log and will help follow up. Hope we can figure this out soon.
2018-9-27
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-27 04:58
Well received, thank you! Upon checking the case log, the shipping label has been sent you, please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience. Also, we've noted this in the case log and will help follow up. Hope we can figure this out soon.

Hi Susan,

The tracking shows that the return has been delivered.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Cheers Brian
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 2018-10-3 08:03
Hi Susan,

The tracking shows that the return has been delivered.

Brian, sorry for the late response due to the holiday. I've checked your case again, the package has been sent out, please kindly check whether you have received the tracking number later. Hope you receive the package soon.
2018-10-10
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-10-10 18:49
Brian, sorry for the late response due to the holiday. I've checked your case again, the package has been sent out, please kindly check whether you have received the tracking number later. Hope you receive the package soon.

Yes Thanks,

I received the screen back today. Working fine. Just updated Go 4 for mavic 2. Rain forecast for the week so it will be a while before I can test in full sunlight.

Fingers crossed that it's OK now and will not blow again.

Thanks for your help on this. It was a good fast turnaround.

Cheers
2018-10-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 2018-10-11 06:20
Yes Thanks,

I received the screen back today. Working fine. Just updated Go 4 for mavic 2. Rain forecast for the week so it will be a while before I can test in full sunlight.

That's great! Glad to hear everything works well now. Should there is any further question, feel free to contact us. Wish you have a good time!
2018-10-13
Use props
djiuser_u5ouS1P35VKd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1393458 ft
Finland

My crystalsky dead!! I don't know what the problem is!
20190303_162524.jpg
20190303_162319.jpg
20190303_162440.jpg
2019-3-4
Use props
CGPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

My out of warranty 8" Crystalsky backlight has totally failed. DJI won't tell me how much to fix it unless I send it in. Then I have to commit to diag fees just to get a repair price. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to fix it or just toss it out. Seems like just about everyone that purchased the Ultrabright screen has had it fail. I don't want to pay a bunch of money only to have the same problem come back in a few months again.

What are they charging to repair, are they actually doing something to solve the defect or are the just replacing the part and we are doomed to failure again in short order?

Service department is useless and have only one answer to every question "Send it in and then we will quote you a price".
2019-4-26
Use props
Forestjim
Captain
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CGPhoto Posted at 4-26 10:01
My out of warranty 8" Crystalsky backlight has totally failed. DJI won't tell me how much to fix it unless I send it in. Then I have to commit to diag fees just to get a repair price. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to fix it or just toss it out. Seems like just about everyone that purchased the Ultrabright screen has had it fail. I don't want to pay a bunch of money only to have the same problem come back in a few months again.

What are they charging to repair, are they actually doing something to solve the defect or are the just replacing the part and we are doomed to failure again in short order?

That is not good at all.
I've been through a few CS with overheating failing the backlight.
The last one 7.85 Ultra they repaired it.
Your CS is useless now so you may as well get a quote to fix it.
Just because it out of warranty I'd be pushing for a no charge repair.
DJI know these things have been problems. Just search through this forum.
I've kept my UB CS and sold the 5.5.  I upgraded to s DJI Smart controller for my Mavic 2 Pro.
Now they are an awesome piece of gear.
2019-4-27
Use props
rawfilm
lvl.1
Poland

Same here! I bought The CS UB and it stopped working after 10 minutes. I'll return that one and probably buy the smaller one.
2019-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules