DOA Mavic RC - How to get DJI to resolve?
12Next >
3264 58 2018-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13944 ft
United States

I've enjoyed reading a bunch of posts on this forum, but unfortunately my first post is on the disapointing side...

Yesterday, I recieved a brand new Mavic, purchased from an authorized online dealer, with a dead on arrival RC.  I'm hoping that those of you who have dealt with DJI support can help me get the best resolution.  Specifically:

• How do I go about getting them to respond at all?  I've called and emailed them, with no luck after 24 hours of effort.  No shipping lable to print, no replacement on the way or any plan to get to any resolution.  They don't even answer their phone during the stated business hours on the recording.  I did get through to someone this morning and he promised to get back to me with a plan today, but did not.
  • How do I ensure that I don't get sent a refurbished replacement?  My brand new Mavic hasn't even left the ground, and could have purchased a refurb for a lot less, so I have no interest in trading my new one for a refurb.  That would be nothing short of a scam.

Just to prevent this from getting into a RC troubleshooting thread: I've plugged the RC into the charger for several hours, tried a different cable, verified the USB port is putting out juice, and I know how to turn the RC on.  I've read the manual and I've turned them on Mavic RCs before (a quick press immediately followed by a 2 - 4 second press).  It's definitely dead and I'm not willing to crack it open to troubleshoot.

Even though it's disapointing, I'm trying to stay positive and I hope to get this resolved soon, so that I can get my Mavic in the air and become activie contributor to this forum!  Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you have.
2018-1-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first question would be have you contacted the online dealer you purchased the unit from. Seems to me that should be your first cause of action.
2018-1-10
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-10 20:18
My first question would be have you contacted the online dealer you purchased the unit from. Seems to me that should be your first cause of action.

Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't offer returns on DJI products.  I bought it knowing that, but didn't think that meant no exchanges if I was sent a defective unit.  Either way, I wasn't too concerned because I knew that the product is warrantied.  The dealer is just a middle man who's not a fault for anything.  DJI manufactured a defective product and should be responsible to take care of the issue.  I've got a way that I can likely force the dealer to take it back, but I'm hoping that DJI steps up soon, so that I don't have to force the dealer to take responsibility for their mistake.

It's worth noting, that many if not most DJI authorized online dealers have poor return policies (at least for DJI products) and you have to buy from an authorized dealer if you want a warranty from DJI, so my situation isn't that unusual.
2018-1-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-10 20:46
Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't offer returns on DJI products.  I bought it knowing that, but didn't think that meant no exchanges if I was sent a defective unit.  Either way, I wasn't too concerned because I knew that the product is warrantied.  The dealer is just a middle man who's not a fault for anything.  DJI manufactured a defective product and should be responsible to take care of the issue.  I've got a way that I can likely force the dealer to take it back, but I'm hoping that DJI steps up soon, so that I don't have to force the dealer to take responsibility for their mistake.

It's worth noting, that many if not most DJI authorized online dealers have poor return policies (at least for DJI products) and you have to buy from an authorized dealer if you want a warranty from DJI, so my situation isn't that unusual.

I don’t think I would have ordered something online without a return policy, hope everything works out for you.
2018-1-10
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-10 20:58
I don’t think I would have ordered something online without a return policy, hope everything works out for you.

Thanks for the reply, but you might be surprised how many people purchase DJI products with no realistic return policy.  Even the DJI store's return policy is 14 days, but difficult to exercise once you've opened the box.  When I purchased my Mavic, and to this day, I don't want to return it, so the return policy is irrelevant.  If I decide that I don't want my Mavic, I will get my money back.

I'd love to hear from someone who had a positive outcome dealing with DJI on a defective product and how the got to that outcome.
2018-1-10
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

So its just the RC that wont turn on? The AC turns on ok?
What if you give the RC just one push of the button, does it indicate battery level?
2018-1-10
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-1-10 22:02
So its just the RC that wont turn on? The AC turns on ok?
What if you give the RC just one push of the button, does it indicate battery level?

Yes, just the RC. One press on the RC power button doesn't cause the battery level to display or cause the RC to do anything at all.
2018-1-10
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-10 22:15
Yes, just the RC. One press on the RC power button doesn't cause the battery level to display or cause the RC to do anything at all.

OK, and using the micro usb port on the top left side of the RC, to the DJI charger, when you plug it in does the RC say "Charging".
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-1-11 00:04
OK, and using the micro usb port on the top left side of the RC, to the DJI charger, when you plug it in does the RC say "Charging".

Yes. I was so excited to get my Mavic I read the quick start, user manual, and watched all of the DJI tutorial videos several times before it got here. This is not a case of user error.  I promise, the RC is dead.

No hard feelings though. I've read a lot of noob posts and see why you would suspect a case of user error. I wish that were the case, but it's not.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Contact DJI support and see what (if anything)they can do in this case - the rest of us can only guess.
2018-1-11
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Just to be sure, you are pressing the 'power' button once then immediately pressing and holding it down until you should be getting the the bleeps.

Find it strange that a seller will not even take back a defective item. In the UK the consumer rights clearly state that you deal with the company that sold you the product. Comes under the 'sale of goods act' . I understand you are not in the UK but surely in the US you have a similar law/rule to help protect the consumer.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-11 06:34
Just to be sure, you are pressing the 'power' button once then immediately pressing and holding it down until you should be getting the the bleeps.

Find it strange that a seller will not even take back a defective item. In the UK the consumer rights clearly state that you deal with the company that sold you the product. Comes under the 'sale of goods act' . I understand you are not in the UK but surely in the US you have a similar law/rule to help protect the consumer.

I know how to turn on the Mavic RC. I've done it before and have read all of the documentation.

I've contacted DJI support a few times via phone end email.  The only things I've got from them are verbal agreement that I have a defective RC and confirmation that they received my email.
2018-1-11
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-11 07:53
I know how to turn on the Mavic RC. I've done it before and have read all of the documentation.

I've contacted DJI support a few times via phone end email.  The only things I've got from them are verbal agreement that I have a defective RC and confirmation that they received my email.

Thanks for your reply .... the only reason I asked this was that some months back someone on this forum asked why they could not turn on the drone/TX and they just didn't realise they both needed a first short press and a second longer press.

Amazing how sometimes the simple things can catch us out.

Hope you get sorted soon, I'm not sure DJI customer care is what it should be.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-11 07:56
Thanks for your reply .... the only reason I asked this was that some months back someone on this forum asked why they could not turn on the drone/TX and they just didn't realise they both needed a first short press and a second longer press.

Amazing how sometimes the simple things can catch us out.

Thanks. I'd be thrilled if it were user error. If that were the case, I could be flying during during my upcoming 4 day weekend.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Update: I called DJI this morning and was told that I don't even have a case yet. Like yesterday, I couldn't understand much of what the representative was saying, so I sent another email to support and CCd rep that I talked to before.

So thus far nobody on this forum has mentioned a positive outcome, but has anyone ever got anything out of their DJI warranty?
2018-1-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh man, I wish you would have bought this thing from Amazon.  Honestly, I tell EVERYONE to buy their DJI products off Amazon.  So realistically, the drone may have issues as well since you haven't had a functioning RC yet.  Be prepared, this is going to be a huge test of patience for you.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-11 09:35
Oh man, I wish you would have bought this thing from Amazon.  Honestly, I tell EVERYONE to buy their DJI products off Amazon.  So realistically, the drone may have issues as well since you haven't had a functioning RC yet.  Be prepared, this is going to be a huge test of patience for you.

Careful buying DJI products from Amazon...  If the order is fulfilled by Amazon or by some of the other retailers on Amazon, you will not have a warranty at all. DJI only warranties products purchase from authorized dealers and Amazon is not on the list.

https://www.dji.com/mobile/where-to-buy
2018-1-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Agreed, you don't want to buy from "Joe's drone shack" on Amazon.  I have not had any issues with any of my drones purchased on Amazon.  I just purchased a P4PO on Amazon that was DOA and had no problem returning and getting a refund.  Then I purchased from another dealer on Amazon.  I think you will find more success stories then failures when it comes to Amazon DJI purchases.  I assure you DJI wants to remain in Amazon's good graces.  There's always a bigger fish in the sea.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-11 10:08
Agreed, you don't want to buy from "Joe's drone shack" on Amazon.  I have not had any issues with any of my drones purchased on Amazon.  I just purchased a P4PO on Amazon that was DOA and had no problem returning and getting a refund.  Then I purchased from another dealer on Amazon.  I think you will find more success stories then failures when it comes to Amazon DJI purchases.  I assure you DJI wants to remain in Amazon's good graces.  There's always a bigger fish in the sea.

Just make sure they're on the list. Amazon and many of their major seller's are not.  It's not just the little guys to avoid.
2018-1-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Again, DJI does not want to anger Amazon.  Period.

Sidenote:  we all know how good DJI is at updating notes.
2018-1-11
Use props
web_parrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-10 20:46
Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't offer returns on DJI products.  I bought it knowing that, but didn't think that meant no exchanges if I was sent a defective unit.  Either way, I wasn't too concerned because I knew that the product is warrantied.  The dealer is just a middle man who's not a fault for anything.  DJI manufactured a defective product and should be responsible to take care of the issue.  I've got a way that I can likely force the dealer to take it back, but I'm hoping that DJI steps up soon, so that I don't have to force the dealer to take responsibility for their mistake.

It's worth noting, that many if not most DJI authorized online dealers have poor return policies (at least for DJI products) and you have to buy from an authorized dealer if you want a warranty from DJI, so my situation isn't that unusual.

Would you mind terribly to share the name of the online retailer?  I, personally would like to avoid them. Thank you.  

Also, you may have recourse through your credit card company ( may be too obvious ).  I always use PayPal.  They have been terrific resolving disputes for both small amounts and products with defects where the vendor refuses to admit a defect.

2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Update: After spending my entire lunch break on the phone with them, I was only able to confirm that I still don't have an open case.

When it came time to create the case the rep said that he couldn't understand me. He continued to say that until I had to go back to work. English is my only language and I regularly speak on the phone and in large groups without issue.  I'm on again now, but I'm only have 15 minutes, so I'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone from DJI monitor these forums? Is this normal?
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-11 12:39
Again, DJI does not want to anger Amazon.  Period.

Sidenote:  we all know how good DJI is at updating notes.

I'm not sure if it's allowed, but I bought it through brandsmartusa.  Keep in mind, that most DJI dealers have a very short (less than 15 day return policy on DJI products), so chances are for most DJI customers, if you bought your drone and it stops working after day 15, you are stuck begging DJI to trade you a refurbished replacement for your brand new one.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person in my last post...

Update: Still no response to the several emails that I sent to the DJI rep that I spoke with first thing yesterday morning.  Also no response to the emails I've sent to support.us@dji.com.  On the phone this afternoon, I did get a DJI rep to commit to saying that they will create a case in the next 24 hours, but I'm not holding my breath.  During the call, I confirmed that if a case actually get's opened, I will likely get a refurbished device as a replacement.  I was also told that I would need to pay for the box and packaging.  What a company!!!
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Oh and I asked if they were going to do anything to make up for this huge inconvenience that they caused?  I was told that DJI will not be doing anything to make this up to me.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Update: I finally have a case.  Here are the highlights from the email from DJI:
Please send your unit into our DJI repair facility in North America. We'll send you a shipping label within 2 business days. The steps you must take to properly ship your product to us are listed below.....

and

Once received by our North American repair facility, your unit will be considered an active repair. The ETA for repairs is approximately 1-2 weeks from the date it is checked in by our facility.

At this rate, if I decide to proceed with this process, it probably wouldn't ship out until Tuesday (probably using economy shipping both ways), and I would have owned a Mavic for over a month before getting a chance to fly it with a downgraded/refurbished RC.  That's all assuming that the AC works and the RC they send me works.

Is the Mavic so great that it's worth all this?  That's not a retorical question.  I'd really like to know because I've got a decision to make....  I've started the process of leveraging my dealer into taking this product back.  If I succeed (I likely will) and choose to go that route, I would be done with DJI for good.  I really want a working Mavic, but I'm very concerned about quality, customer service, and the challenges of exercising the warranty.  At the current rate of support and product quality I've experienced, I fear that there could be several more issues and that the entire warranty could be over before I have a fully functional Mavic.
2018-1-11
Use props
Sailor Murfs
lvl.1

United States

i would return it and buy from amazon or best buy.

or buy the spark, its better!!!
2018-1-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If I were you, I would just raise a dispute with my credit company. Saying the product is defective and that is it. Begging DJI is the only last resort, mate. Don't waste your time, let your credit company handle it with DJI, I am sure your credit company is comparable in size to fight a battle for you.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

Sailor Murfs Posted at 2018-1-11 20:48
i would return it and buy from amazon or best buy.

or buy the spark, its better!!!

Thanks, but if it goes back, I'm done with DJI.  Remember, at most, you have a 30 day return policy on Amazon.  I think most of the authorized dealers on Amazon have a much shorter policy than that, so where you buy doesn't matter after the first 2-4 weeks.  After that, you're still stuck dealing with DJI support.
2018-1-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

That crest of the matter is why you are not done with DJI. It is only a drone, if it does not work move on. You can buy another one and start again if you choose to do so. At least you are not stuck in your present situation.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

DTK Posted at 2018-1-11 20:53
If I were you, I would just raise a dispute with my credit company. Saying the product is defective and that is it. Begging DJI is the only last resort, mate. Don't waste your time, let your credit company handle it with DJI, I am sure your credit company is comparable in size to fight a battle for you.

Thanks...  That's in progress and the way I'm leaning on going.  It should be an open and shut case.  It's very disappointing that it's come to that, but it looks like I won't be Mavic owner for long.  Thanks for all of the advice.  I'll still keep this thread updated, so future DJI customers will know what they're up against.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

DTK Posted at 2018-1-11 21:20
That crest of the matter is why you are not done with DJI. It is only a drone, if it does not work move on. You can buy another one and start again if you choose to do so. At least you are not stuck in your present situation.

Well at the moment I have no other option but to work with / wait for DJI. The dispute process with the credit card company takes approximately 30 days.  Seems prudent to work both angles in parallel just in case the dispute doesn't end in my favor.
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I just received your message in PM, and sorry for the late response and inconvenience. Generally, it is recommended to start a online case directly: https://www.dji.com/service/repair?site=brandsite&from=nav Could you leave your case number here? I'd like to check the exact status and keep follow up.
2018-1-12
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-12 03:02
Hi there, I just received your message in PM, and sorry for the late response and inconvenience. Generally, it is recommended to start a online case directly: https://www.dji.com/service/repair?site=brandsite&from=nav Could you leave your case number here? I'd like to check the exact status and keep follow up.

Thank you for the prompt reply! I just figured that out last night. I wish that I would have PMd you first instead of calling tech support. I now have 2 cases, one from the phone calls and one started online.  Does it matter which one that I use? If it helps, the online case is headed to California and the phone case is headed to Texas.

I'll post my case number later today.
2018-1-12
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-12 07:46
Thank you for the prompt reply! I just figured that out last night. I wish that I would have PMd you first instead of calling tech support. I now have 2 cases, one from the phone calls and one started online.  Does it matter which one that I use? If it helps, the online case is headed to California and the phone case is headed to Texas.

I'll post my case number later today.

I decided to use the the online case and I've PMd the case number to DJI Susan.
2018-1-12
Use props
djiuser_DSNuHJ0
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-12 11:25
I decided to use the the online case and I've PMd the case number to DJI Susan.

Update: The shipping label arrived from the numerous phone calls and emails.  It was for ground shipping even though I was told that expedited shipping was going to be requested.  If a DOA product purchased from authorized dealer doesn't qualify for expedited shipping, what does?

Lesson learned.  Don't waste your time calling or emailing DJI.  You cannot plead your case.  If your product was DOA, you will be treated the same as if you'd owned it for months and decided to take it for a swim.  Just use the website and set your expectations low.

I don't have it, but I wouldn't touch DJI Care with a 10 foot pole.  The idea of DJI selling a service is hilarious.  Get actual customer service at a lower cost from State Farm.
2018-1-12
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_DSNuHJ0 Posted at 2018-1-11 20:27
Update: I finally have a case.  Here are the highlights from the email from DJI:
Please send your unit into our DJI repair facility in North America. We'll send you a shipping label within 2 business days. The steps you must take to properly ship your product to us are listed below.....

In my opinion and I genuinely mean this ... while the Mavic is good it's not worth the wait.

This is coming from someone (me) that objectively views the drone as good but apart from it's size (read easily transportable) it is otherwise no better than other product from other manufacturers on the market.

Like I say I like DJI products generally but I am no Fanboy like so may admit to being on here.
2018-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-15 07:21
In my opinion and I genuinely mean this ... while the Mavic is good it's not worth the wait.

This is coming from someone (me) that objectively views the drone as good but apart from it's size (read easily transportable) it is otherwise no better than other product from other manufacturers on the market.

Can you let us know what these other products are?
2018-1-15
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-15 07:56
Can you let us know what these other products are?

Take a look at Yuneec or other manufacturers .... The only thing the mavic has is size ... its easier to transport ... Here's a few ... google is your friend. (but you know that)

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/st/yuneec-drones

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/st/powervision-drones

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/p ... d-wing-glider-drone

http://dronesforless.co.uk/karma/

http://dronesforless.co.uk/3dr/

http://dronesforless.co.uk/autel/

https://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Multirotors/Drones__c-p-0-0-248.aspx

2018-1-15
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
Canada

We should all be very THANKFULL that DJI does not make parts for the International Space Station..... Juz' Sayin'
2018-1-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules