Two week old P4 Advanced sent back for service
1383 8 2018-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seattle_Steve
lvl.2

United States

I have been quite satisfied with my drone and have had zero issues in flight. I followed the recommendations and watched and read a lot before flying at all. The issue began on my 4th day out when I began getting Gimbal Motor Overload errors. They disappeared after several restarts and the forced updating of firmware. The end result was when my P4 was turned off, the gimbal tilts down and to the right.
I read many threads about about this issue and followed the many suggestions like moving the gimbal side to side to the opposite direction of the issue, redoing calibrations, etc.  The gimbal calibration got stuck at 68% once and at 50% the next two times, eventually the gimbal calibration finished as designed.

Discussing this with DJI Support, I was told this uncentering of the gimbal was a “known” issue. They seemed fairly casual about it but I am not satisfied with an $1100 drone that is two weeks old and has a known issue, I have sent the P4 back to DJI for repair or replacement.

Of course, my frustration is not having the drone available and feeling like I have to be extra vigilant about issues that crop up. Still feeling very positive so now let’s see what DJI does with my P4.
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Steve, we are sorry for the inconvenience first. Regarding the gimbal calibration, there is one beta firmware trying to fix this. Could you leave your DJI Account here? I'd like to help you get it and try again. Appreciate your understanding.
2018-1-10
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

"The end result was when my P4 was turned off, the gimbal tilts down and to the right."

Not sure if I understand you correctly but when you shut down the P4 the camera/gimbal always tilts down and leans to one side.
I have seen the funniest positions of the camera when the system is shut down.
I would only care about the position if the system is on.

2018-1-10
Use props
Seattle_Steve
lvl.2

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-10 20:25
Hi Steve, we are sorry for the inconvenience first. Regarding the gimbal calibration, there is one beta firmware trying to fix this. Could you leave your DJI Account here? I'd like to help you get it and try again. Appreciate your understanding.

Thanks for the offer but my drone is on its way to California. I assume they will install the correct firmware if what is loaded is not correct or send me the file to fix that.
2018-1-10
Use props
Seattle_Steve
lvl.2

United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-1-10 20:36
"The end result was when my P4 was turned off, the gimbal tilts down and to the right."

Not sure if I understand you correctly but when you shut down the P4 the camera/gimbal always tilts down and leans to one side.

I understand but the gimbal overload errors and calibration issues are concerning. If the gimbal position is stable when you fly the first few times, it appears to be an issue that’s not worth worrying about so I will let them figure it out.

Why do some aircraft have this issue and many don’t?
2018-1-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Thats a damn good question
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Seattle_Steve Posted at 2018-1-10 20:57
I understand but the gimbal overload errors and calibration issues are concerning. If the gimbal position is stable when you fly the first few times, it appears to be an issue that’s not worth worrying about so I will let them figure it out.

Steve, I think our engineers are trying to fix it. Please wait patiently and I think our support will help you solve the problem. Please inform us if you have doubt in your case. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seattle_Steve Posted at 2018-1-10 20:57

How new are you to DJI?  Just curious?
2018-1-11
Use props
Seattle_Steve
lvl.2

United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-11 09:29
How new are you to DJI?  Just curious?

I’ve been following DJI phantoms since the beginning and owned the original one but I am new to the P4 and this 4 years later as I felt being on the sidelines was better than dealing with the issues I had and observed.

I expect the current technology to be more reliable. I absolutely love the P4s capability and am having a great time with it but I don’t want to wait to send it in when there is a known issue. Also, since I live in Seattle there are a limited number of days you can fly now so you want to make sure all issues are through the shake out period and I can rely on the drone.
2018-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules