1187 19 2018-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Deliberately didnt upgrade my P4P in almost a year now, due to more new bugs than fixes, as the last one have been working close to flawlessly.
Hows the latest version, is it bug free, if not, what issues do you experience?
For those who have had their P4P for a year, is upgrading to latest now REALLY worth it, or should i stick to the dont fix it... rule?
2018-1-11
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

you know lot of people are rolling back FW . anyway it is a personal choice
2018-1-11
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yes, thats why i wanted to hear different peoples opinion and experiences...
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always a personal choice. I upgrade and check it out for myself then down grade if I experience issues.
2018-1-11
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

After reading up on a couple of threads here, im def not gonna upgrade
2018-1-11
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Leaving as it is for now 1.4.6 - fly in aircraft mode - then it can't complain.
2018-1-11
Use props
Timothyimagery
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1090961 ft
Australia

I have the latest FW installed on P4P, it seems mostly OK, except the vision flips upsidedown when camera is tilted down vertically, so I'm going to downgrade again and wait for this to be fixed
2018-1-11
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My P4P is at the last 1.04.. firmware and that's where it's going to stay for the rest of its life. Everything seems to work so I don't dare try to fix it. If/when DJI eventually forces an upgrade I guess I'll have to take the risk but not until then.  Not going within 1000 miles of the new FW, sounds busted....

How are you guys downgrading anyway? I don't see a way to do that, as the older firmware no longer seems to be available (through the press/hold method in DJI GO 4).
2018-1-11
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I would not update too many bugs in the latest firmware.
2018-1-11
Use props
MaintenanceKing
lvl.1

Australia

honestly, don't bother. the new panorama feature can be replicated using other software and the potential for bugs is massive. I have also gotten little to no constructive help through support, lol. Stay with the 2nd latest firmware.
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

luciens Posted at 2018-1-11 09:45
My P4P is at the last 1.04.. firmware and that's where it's going to stay for the rest of its life. Everything seems to work so I don't dare try to fix it. If/when DJI eventually forces an upgrade I guess I'll have to take the risk but not until then.  Not going within 1000 miles of the new FW, sounds busted....

How are you guys downgrading anyway? I don't see a way to do that, as the older firmware no longer seems to be available (through the press/hold method in DJI GO 4).

Luciens, it depends on your current firmware version. You can connect DJI Assistant 2 to see whether there is any option.
2018-1-11
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-11 23:58
Luciens, it depends on your current firmware version. You can connect DJI Assistant 2 to see whether there is any option.

I believe my P4P is at that firmware that disables rolling back. What I really need is to roll back to the firmware prior to the Go login requirement, so I can use my DJI goggles with it without the silly hassle of messing with unplugging/replugging in before takeoff, which messes up all the settings, etc. But I'd have to hack it to do that, of course.
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

luciens Posted at 2018-1-12 09:18
I believe my P4P is at that firmware that disables rolling back. What I really need is to roll back to the firmware prior to the Go login requirement, so I can use my DJI goggles with it without the silly hassle of messing with unplugging/replugging in before takeoff, which messes up all the settings, etc. But I'd have to hack it to do that, of course.

Sorry about this, I'm afraid the firmware is not available to downgrade if there is no option in DJI Assistant 2. We sincerely apologize if this bothers you.
2018-1-15
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-15 19:26
Sorry about this, I'm afraid the firmware is not available to downgrade if there is no option in DJI Assistant 2. We sincerely apologize if this bothers you.

Maybe suggest to DJI that an exception be made for the goggles? It's their own technology and the built-in app in the goggles does pretty much everything you need. No invisible, cranky tablet is needed when you're doing your work FPV.
There's no safety advantage to hitting "start flight" and then being able to just pull the plug completely out and go fly with no restrictions, goggles or not. All that does is make the product harder to use for your legitimate users, especially those who use the goggles.
2018-1-15
Use props
PGM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57146 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-11 23:58
If someone does not upgrade firmware, does it affect warranty if something fails in the device?
2018-1-15
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PGM Posted at 2018-1-15 20:22
If someone does not upgrade firmware, does it affect warranty if something fails in the device?

it sounds like the warranty is voided (at DJI's convenience)if you _do_ try to upgrade and there's a failure and you brick it.

I've used a GPL tool to downgrade the firmware on my P4P back to the 1.03.0509 version personally. I don't care if it does void the warranty, it makes the aircraft so much easier to use, with no dependence on a tablet, with the yucky app crashing all the time, logging in and all that garbage. Just turn on, plug in the goggles and go fly....
So if it works now, I'd say not updating will preserve the warranty. I could be wrong tho.
2018-1-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No, warranty would only be voided if you tamper with the device. If you leave your craft on an old version of firmware, it is still a DJI product and configuration. Apple will still repair an iPhone on iOS10 under warranty, LG will still repair one of their TVs on an old version of WebOS etc.
But if you hack a product e.g. jailbreak the iPhone, well, don't expect them to do it.
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

luciens Posted at 2018-1-15 19:48
Maybe suggest to DJI that an exception be made for the goggles? It's their own technology and the built-in app in the goggles does pretty much everything you need. No invisible, cranky tablet is needed when you're doing your work FPV.
There's no safety advantage to hitting "start flight" and then being able to just pull the plug completely out and go fly with no restrictions, goggles or not. All that does is make the product harder to use for your legitimate users, especially those who use the goggles.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll forward to our engineers.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

PGM, the firmware update is not mandatory and previous firmware will not affect the warranty. If something fails in the device, the local team will do damage assessment once they received it and offer you the proper solutions.
2018-1-18
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-18 19:38
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll forward to our engineers.

Thanks Susan!
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules