New Mavic Pro Firmware Released (11/1/2018)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 15:51
Well I see three reasons they dont want to release it, I will order them in what I believe is most likely:

1) The know the modifications they made to it are buggy, and don't want to expose that.

My knowledge of coding is almost zero... I did do some MS QB back in the late 80's "Hello World"

So I bow to your knowledge on 1 & 3...
Point 2 is valid if they have invested a lot of IP in it...

I guess you will have to wait and see, then challenge maybe.
If memory serves me there is plenty of case law supporting your claim
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-11 16:14
My knowledge of coding is almost zero... I did do some MS QB back in the late 80's "Hello World"

So I bow to your knowledge on 1 & 3...

none of the points are valid.

Even if they invested 20million into the linux kernel, they agreed to share what they put into it, and they received the ability to use the pre existing code as consideration. For what it is worth, a quick overview of the kernel, i see nothing major changed in it. I'm assuming it is almost entirely what LC provided to them.
2018-1-11
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 16:31
none of the points are valid.

Even if they invested 20million into the linux kernel, they agreed to share what they put into it, and they received the ability to use the pre existing code as consideration. For what it is worth, a quick overview of the kernel, i see nothing major changed in it. I'm assuming it is almost entirely what LC provided to them.

Well I guess it's a wait and see...
They could drag their heels for.....???
2018-1-11
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

theothernt Posted at 2018-1-11 12:40
Just updated my MPP... and it still works, did I do something wrong?

And still sound at startup? That must be good feeling.
2018-1-11
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dji please share the source code thanks!

P.s ACW good day!
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

Already updated, waiting for the weekend
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s night time here now so good night.
2018-1-11
Use props
OVERWATCH 001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 269636 ft
United States

Hi... Newbie question but what is the kernel that everyone is asking about and what exactly is the use for it?
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OVERWATCH 001 Posted at 2018-1-11 18:05
Hi... Newbie question but what is the kernel that everyone is asking about and what exactly is the use for it?

Functionally the core of the operating system on the drone. DJI (smartly imo) chose to implement the linux kernel instead of making their own. Saving them lots of time and heart ache. However the Linux kernel is licensed under a license called GPLv2, mandating the release of the source code upon request if they distribute it in compiled(binary) for, which they did to everyone that bought a drone.

The reason I want it is so I can participate in auditing it for flaws, to submit to their bug bounty program. I participate in bug bounties to raise money for special olympics. We (a couple friends and I) did this with Google's pixel phone when first released and raised $8,000 for my local special olympics team, got a nice shout out from google on their blog for doing so.

I also get the benefit knows that I helped improve and make safer a product I've come to enjoy very much.
Also as someone who has contributed code to Android, I'm a tad pffts that they don't mind using the work that others did for them (for free) but refuse to contribute back.
2018-1-11
Use props
OVERWATCH 001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 269636 ft
United States

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 18:09
Functionally the core of the operating system on the drone. DJI (smartly imo) chose to implement the linux kernel instead of making their own. Saving them lots of time and heart ache. However the Linux kernel is licensed under a license called GPLv2, mandating the release of the source code upon request if they distribute it in compiled(binary) for, which they did to everyone that bought a drone.

The reason I want it is so I can participate in auditing it for flaws, to submit to their bug bounty program. I participate in bug bounties to raise money for special olympics. We (a couple friends and I) did this with Google's pixel phone when first released and raised $8,000 for my local special olympics team, got a nice shout out from google on their blog for doing so.

Thanks for the response. I assume you've got to have some sort of background in coding to really understand what you're looking at. I just didn't know if the kernel that everyone was asking about was something that a regular Joe like myself can do something with that can improve my flight experience.

Kudos for the work that you do with trying to improve the tools of a hobby that so many enjoy and good job with the charitable work as well.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OVERWATCH 001 Posted at 2018-1-11 18:18
Thanks for the response. I assume you've got to have some sort of background in coding to really understand what you're looking at. I just didn't know if the kernel that everyone was asking about was something that a regular Joe like myself can do something with that can improve my flight experience.

Kudos for the work that you do with trying to improve the tools of a hobby that so many enjoy and good job with the charitable work as well.

My background is in embedded linux device security. I make consumer products safer, both professionally and as a hobby.
2018-1-11
Use props
HighTechJoe
New
Flight distance : 200860 ft
United States

DJI, please release all source code under GPL as required.
2018-1-11
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

djiuser_yMoVJ0w Posted at 2018-1-11 14:37
new to the site guys, just wondering if i have my mavic set to return home, could i still get a fly away?

Make sure you check all the settings after a firmware update as some may have changed.  In particular, check your RTH height, your max. distance if you have one set, whether the Mavic lands or does a RTH on signal loss and your sensor settings.
2018-1-11
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

So if you don’t own or use DJI goggles there is absolutely no need to update it!?  Unless you want new music for platinum.
2018-1-11
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Can you rollback if something is wrong???  v01.04.0100 is finally possible after few months
2018-1-11
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 10:41
"Once the firmware has been updated, it cannot be downgraded to a former version. Restart the aircraft and remote controller after upgrade is complete".
So no, in a word.

Yes it is possible! Exploit was tested and still works in this firmware. Downgrade is possible.
2018-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know - it’s also possible to downgrade on IOS back to .100 as I previously stated. DJI need to update the statement of the FW release where that was copied from. Though I am pleased to say I don't need to downgrade as .200 works perfectly for me.
2018-1-12
Use props
fansfb1bf277
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104449 ft
Ukraine

I wonder why the army of accounts suddenly noticed this topic and flooded it with gpl source code posts. Many of those accounts have very little activity on this forum otherwise. This makes me think those account may have been hacked or registered in purpose of flooding like this.
As for kernel source code afaik dji drones run android kitkat 4.4 - its source is open. Software they run on top of kitkat its their private business.

I came here to check the outcomes of the update and cannot see much because of offtopic flood
2018-1-12
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

fansfb1bf277 Posted at 2018-1-12 00:21
I wonder why the army of accounts suddenly noticed this topic and flooded it with gpl source code posts. Many of those accounts have very little activity on this forum otherwise. This makes me think those account may have been hacked or registered in purpose of flooding like this.
As for kernel source code afaik dji drones run android kitkat 4.4 - its source is open. Software they run on top of kitkat its their private business.

Not really. If you modify open source code, you also have to release the modified code.
2018-1-12
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Just updated, flew 5 min due to fog, no issues yet
2018-1-12
Use props
fansb665b22d
lvl.1
Switzerland

I wonder why the army of accounts suddenly noticed this topic and flooded it with gpl source code posts. Many of those accounts have very little activity on this forum otherwise. This makes me think those account may have been hacked or registered in purpose of flooding like this.
As for kernel source code afaik dji drones run android kitkat 4.4 - its source is open. Software they run on top of kitkat its their private business.

I own one of those accounts, and I specifically registered it for the purpose of making noise about the absence of the kernel source release. I've not needed or used the forum for anything else so far.

Is it annoying and unfair to you as a regular user? Absolutely. But guess what - so is DJI skirting it's legal obligation to release the source. They have repeatedly ignored and refuse other requests in the past so what we're left with is "spamming" them to try to get them to comply with their own legal obligations. I'm sorry that regular users have to get caught up in the mess, but please understand that anyone engaging in this "spamming" is only trying to get DJI to do what they are required to. Feel free to join us, as the second DJI releases it, we will all go away and the forums can return to normal, otherwise - again, sorry that you had to get caught up in it.
2018-1-12
Use props
Osman_SG
New
Singapore

Well I have just updated the firmware via the assistant  to v01.04.0200.
DJI Mavic Pro
iPhone 6S
DJI GO 4 App

Refreshed the firmware using the assistant (I tried the DJI Go 4 app route, but it kept hanging during the update, the drone ran out of battery, the controller dropped below 50% and then my phone ran out of juice!).  

After the update via the assistant, the firmware shows as the up to date version.  All good.

Connected my phone via the controller and I'm now being prompted to update the firmware to v01.04.0200.

I can't fly the drone now.  Error 200 and then Error 201 when I tried to take off one more time.  

I reinstalled the DJI Go 4 app. and even after restarting the drone, the contorller and the app I am still being prompted with the "new firmware available" red ribbon on the DJI Go 4 app.

Any advice on how to fix this?
2018-1-12
Use props
storemaster78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246115 ft
Austria

I just checked, but goapp does not prompt for new FW. How can I force to update?
2018-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which is why I precisely came into this thread and my discussion with that gentleman was very much on topic as related specifically to the downgrading options on FW .200 - if you read the posts you will see.
2018-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And BTW - there is ‘no fight’ - so stop trying to stir things up. My questions were answered hours ago.
2018-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have not hijacked anything thank you. I don’t even use Android and have absolutely nothing to do with what has been confirmed to be some sort of spamming campaign which someone who is involved has already apologised for bringing the rest of us into. My individual discussion was to address how to downgrade without hacking as the gentleman said you could. So please get your facts straight and do not bring my name into this spamming. And yes, I agree that I too would like this thread removed and it has already been reported.
2018-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And the discussion is about the FW - which is not just specific to upgrading as the FW release note from DJI also references information on downgrading!
2018-1-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Osman_SG Posted at 2018-1-12 01:46
Well I have just updated the firmware via the assistant  to v01.04.0200.
DJI Mavic Pro
iPhone 6S

Have you updated the RC ?

Then checking firmware in 'About' in general settings menu, you will see and be able to check for any 'flysafe' database updates. I don't think there is any battery firmware update, but using another battery might prompt an 'inconsistent firmware' response if it weren't up to date.
2018-1-12
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Locoman quit being a crybaby seriously bro all u do is whine and cry like a little $#%@# " oh mods oh me gad teh tread me haves to read so much" in my kevin hart voice
2018-1-12
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Im holding off till theres real need to upgrade...too many bad experiences with earlier releases
2018-1-12
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

>As for kernel source code afaik dji drones run android kitkat 4.4 - its source is open. Software they run on top of kitkat its their private business.

The Kernel is NOT Android, android runs on top of the kernel. Kernel is not private business, it is GPLv2. In fact, they dont really run android, they run the android init, and a few bits and pieces, but not android itself. The device lacks all of the android framework. It doesnt have the dalvikVM or ART, eg it has nothing that makes android android.

None of those accounts are hacked, people posted on other drone forums asking of help.
2018-1-12
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Locoman Posted at 2018-1-12 03:13
ReleasetheSourc and A CW, this thread is for those of us that want to know how the new FW performs, I for one, don't give a s..t about your argument and you are wasting our time, so why don't you take a fight off line and PM each other instead

Moderator,Please Close down This thread and start a new one for the FW update.

A CW and I had a very on topic discussion about this thread.

In addition, all the source requests are on topic as well, and they won't be going away. As long as DJI is being unethical in their withholding of license requirements, this is how each firmware announcement thread will be. Get used to it.
2018-1-12
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Amen to that!
2018-1-12
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

I've been following this forum for about a year now.  In that time the Mavic has received several firmware updates.  I don't recall seeing a bunch of GPL posts in previous firmware release threads... why?
2018-1-12
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2018-1-12 06:17
I've been following this forum for about a year now.  In that time the Mavic has received several firmware updates.  I don't recall seeing a bunch of GPL posts in previous firmware release threads... why?

Because for the past year the requests have been going on privately. DJI has played games with the people requesting source. They have made false promises, danced around the issue, done everything possible to delay it, and sometimes outright said no.

Since the polite private tactic isn't working, the tactic has been changed. Public requests, and working with a copyright holder to file an injection against DJI imports.

This is REALLY a simple things to become in compliance with. Takes 5 commands. They would be in compliance, their users and the copyright holders would be happy.

git init
git add .
git commit -m "blah"
git remote add origin blah@blah
git push -u origin master
2018-1-12
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I came here to look for update results from competent pilots. Not to hear ya'll whining about DJI not releasing their code. That should have been in its own thread. Some want to spam this post to get back at DJI, seems quite petty, IMO. Thanks for making us all pay for your arguments with DJI, and ruining this post.

This thread is useless now...
2018-1-12
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2018-1-12 06:40
I came here to look for update results from competent pilots. Not to hear ya'll whining about DJI not releasing their code. That should have been in its own thread. Some want to spam this post to get back at DJI, seems quite petty, IMO. Thanks for making us all pay for your arguments with DJI, and ruining this post.

This thread is useless now...

The requests are here because offer of source is required to come with the release of the binary (the firmware). This is the appropriate place.

I'm REALLY (no not really) sorry we FORCED you to PAY all so much. Toughen up sunshine.
2018-1-12
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-12 06:54
The requests are here because offer of source is required to come with the release of the binary (the firmware). This is the appropriate place.

I'm REALLY (no not really) sorry we FORCED you to PAY all so much. Toughen up sunshine.

Ain't you something, Cupcake.

Like i said, this post is useless now because of your BS, Sunshine...
2018-1-12
Use props
Amanita
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62379 ft
Greece

+1 for the kernel source please. I cannot find it anywhere here, and I'm fairly sure it is supposed to be made available.
Thanks DJI.
2018-1-12
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2018-1-12 06:59
Ain't you something, Cupcake.

Like i said, this post is useless now because of your BS, Sunshine...

You know, if DJI provided what they are suppose to with the firmware releases, then people wouldn't need to make the requests. Seems to be the problem here is DJI.

Get used to it, this is how each firmware announcement thread will be until DJI does right. This is also the result of posting in ONE forum asking for help from other DJI owners, wonder what it would be like if it got posted in more...
Also seems those making requests, out number the few crying about it.
2018-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules