Should I fly my Spark?
1311 10 2018-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hub280zx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
France

As a new Drone starter, I had quite a number of issues following the update instructions for my new Phantom 4...
I solved them all, with the help of the Phantom 4 section and posts explaining how to retrofit to previous version simply to get a stable image from the camera!
This is a strange situation when you buy a first new DJI drone...

I then decided to get a Spark with RC for training, before crashing the Phantom!
The process to have it working is just hopeless:
I installed the IOS version of DJI GO 4 on my Iphone, and started to learn about the unit.
The OTG cable link was the best for me, considering the frequency regulations in France, but I read a lot about it.
For the time being, we have to wait for an update, if it ever comes...
Now using the Wifi links between Spark and RC, and RC and Iphone, it seems to work, but I have a lot of issues!
The maps have to be loaded to appear, changing from RC Wifi to Internet Wifi, and when I get them, they are lost on each switch off???
If I move out to fly (to an open space), I have no internet connection, so what? Fly without map??

Because of very poor conditions at the moment, I am just training with the flight simulator.
When I read yesterday that a Spark had made the take off in simulator mode, that cooled me down.
And when I read that it was safe to take the propellers off when training, I just wonder if this is real!!!

So, for the moment, no real flights, either with Phantom or Spark, but a lot of questions...
I could take the position of "making a try", but confidence is not at the level of enthousiasm I was developping.
DJI drones are high tech sophisticated units that require the right software to run: Clear.
But I have two units new, and all I see is that DJI latest software requires old versions to at least fly safe!
Am I wrong somewhere?

Taking it to the positive side, winter weather at the moment is just helping to stay patient...
2018-1-12
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

hi there! and welcome to the forum and the world of flying

i am not sure what to say about Phantom. But about Spark, i would say it's a great piece of drone!
don't be afraid to fly it. and i salute your decision to start practicing with the simulator.
taking the props off it's a safety measure and it is recommended by DJI as well. they can be taken off and put back again very easily. just make sure you put them on the correct arms of the drone. they have a white mark.

the map needs to load only once on your phone app then it's ok, you do not need to switch from RC WiFi to Internet and then back again.

take your time and practice. and we are here to share from our experience. don't be afraid to fly!
2018-1-12
Use props
Hub280zx
lvl.2
France

OK & thanks.

I will check the maps issue, as it loads when connected, but get lost the next day.
And for the simulator, I will take the props out for safety.
2018-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you continue to wait you will continue to see the same repeated problems with dji aircraft, but the fact of the matter is those who have perfectly working aircraft using up to date FW/SW don’t come here to air their views, so you get a very jaundiced view on this forum, so take what you read here with a pinch of salt”
There are many hundreds of thousands flying and enjoying their aircraft getting great video and photos and enjoying the thrill of flying, so you should join them, sometimes it can seem like a grave yard around here.
Spark is a very easy aircraft to fly likewise P4Pro, I will say good preparation before you fly and good environments will be your best friend, start in beginner mode with your spark you will find after a couple of flights you will drop this mode and confidence will grow, getting the aircraft up in the air where there are no obstacles is a very safe place for it with good gps you will find you get great confidence when you let go of sticks and watch how it holds it position and how easy it is to manoeuvre when it’s in the sky.

So yes wait for a good day little wind to start flying once you start you will be itching to get out as often as you can.
Good luck.
2018-1-12
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

Well....
The first thing I tried was indoors with the prop guards on.
Just an automatic take-off and hover above the floor.  The vision system keeps it stabilized.
I used all the latest firmware and software, and RC without any OTG cable, with an Android phone.
After flying it around a bit, I took it outside and did the same thing.

No problems and now some really good fun.
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, welcome to join the Group. As for the map, after opening the map view, please drag the map to the area where you are going to fly the drone, zoom in and zoom out to cache the map. With some hands-on experience, you will know better of the drone performance. Hope the nice weather comes soon. If you have any other questions of Spark or Phantom, feel free to start your thread in the corresponding sections, we'd like to help.

2018-1-13
Use props
Hub280zx
lvl.2
France

Hi Susan, and thanks for your comments and info.
The maps are still not "memorized" when I switch off and come back to DJGO 4.
1. Should I have internet or phone link?
2. Should I go outside with GPS reception validated?
Sorry for these silly questions, but I would like to understand and get the maps when I switch on.
If I plan to fly 10 miles away from my home, I know where and can find the map location.
My problem is that even zooming in and out, the maps just dissapear when switching again.
The location I get continuously on the map when I switch on is somewhere in the middle of Atlantic Ocean...
2018-1-15
Use props
Hub280zx
lvl.2
France

OK, now reading from other posts including this one
https://forum.dji.com/thread-129198-1-2.html
it looks like the offline maps are not POSSIBLE on IPhone 7 under IOs???
This is what I use as a screen with Spark and R/C and DJIGO 4

I checked with android BT-300 spectacles, and I get the maps!!

So that's simply another issue from the software to be fixed, like OTG cable?
2018-1-15
Use props
Hub280zx
lvl.2
France

I had some practice with the fight simulator, and stopped reading about catastrophies!

This morning was cold (4°C) and misty, but around 10h30 am, the sky cleared quicly.
I then decided to get the Spark out and have a try:

Check list, GPS signal with 9, 10 and then 12 sattelites. Green bar OK.
I checked the beginner mode, and had the map avaliable.
IMU and Compas all correct.

I pressed take off and slide the Iphone screen for takeoff...
I had a stop, and a check on the non starting motor. I could feel it turning slighly hrder than the others.
I had another try, and no message: It took off and stayed idle.

One minute warming time and up about 15 meters.
I could try all movements with the sticks from the RC, and all went well.
I had two flights 5 + 6 minutes: All OK, including landing.
The RTH spot was memorized and told on take off.

I had the camera on, but I realized that I will have to learn more for smooth moves!
Anyway, good start and no issues.
The rain came again at 1h30 pm, so end of the tests until next week-end!
2018-1-21
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

happy to hear you managed to fly! congratulations!

was the take off area clear? no grass or anything that could have obstructed the motor? maybe some other things that could have stick to the motor/rotor while transport? you flew it inside so maybe dust or any other things?

anyway, good that you could fly after all! do you think you can stay away from flying until next weekend??
2018-1-21
Use props
Hub280zx
lvl.2
France

Staying away from flying is easy for the moment: It is dark in the evening, and the weather forecast is rain for nearly the whole week!
... And I have no real large space to fly inside... so yes, it will be difficult!

The takeoff area was perfectly clear as I placed a board on the grass.
I do not see what could have ostructed the  motor rotation: The propellers never turned before the flight, and it stayed in the box or on my living room table.
I just wonder if the cold moving from inside 20°C to outside 4°C could have make it more tight?
When I turned it by hand, and waited another 10 minutes before flying, maybe the balance was better between in and out parts?
After starting, the flight was quite OK and smooth: very stable after takoff.

As you imagine, it will very be long to wait until next flight!
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules