Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Differences between the two USB ports on controller
48077 38 2018-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>

Can anyone provide any insight about the differences between the micro USB port on the left side of the controller and the larger USB port on the bottom of the controller.
As far as I understand, the RC can only be charged through the left side micro USB port, but any of the ports can be used for connecting to a phone/tablet. Also, as far as I understand, connection through the mirco USB on the left side requires an OTG USB cable whereas the connection through the USB port on the bottom seems to work with a "normal" USB cable.
I have an android tablet that seems to not work as an OTG "slave", so I am unable to get an connectivity through the left port and OTG cable, but it works fine through the USB port on the bottom (at least when I have enabled "USB debugging" on the tablet). Some other tablets and phones I have tried seems to work also through the left side port.
It is not a big deal for me since I have a working connection. I am basically just curious about why there are two different ports and how the two connections differ (as they obviously do), and if there are any inherent advantages/disadvantages to using one or the other.
And I suppose there is no way to stop the USB connection from draining the RC battery by charging the tablet all the time?

2018-1-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Side port is basically for charging using a phone as your screen. With that said you can use both, most use the bottom port because of the unstable OTG cable. Not sure about battery drainage as I never experienced that. Also have you tried any of the OTG cables provided?
2018-1-12
Use props
Rancher
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56824 ft
United States

As he said, I use the side port to charge and for my iphone, till I tried it with the ipad connected to the bottom one.. wwwaaayyy better lol.. but, I have not tested to see if there is a battery drain difference.

The side port is just a pain in the back end to use as the locking mechanisms for the iphone cover the button needed to unlock the iphone and the entire way it plugs in.. so little clearances. Doubt I will use the side port for anything but charging unless I have to.
2018-1-12
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>

Something I forgot to mention in my original post: The battery darinage issue seems to be specific to Android devices, and does not happen on IOS devices as far as I understand.
2018-1-12
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

If you use an adroid device, it will drain the battery of the RC... you can't stop it from charging your device (several tried, didn't succeed). Should be possible by rooting the device and switching off charging... never tried it myself, never heared somebody succeeded with that. An iOS device will not drain the battery of the RC because it stops charging via RC.
2018-1-12
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Side port drains iOS devices too.  Bottom port is your friend, no battery drain on iPad or iPhone.  MP or MPP.  I have both.
2018-1-12
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I had heard that the cable that comes with the Mavic and plugs into that side port is not of the highest quality.  I don't know for sure, but I did have some issues with that connection to my iPhone.  I use only the USB port under the phone holder of the remote and have never had an issue.  I did have to go out and buy a 1 foot long USB/lightening cable just to avoid a long wire hanging down.
2018-1-12
Use props
JBourne210
New
United States

I second the comment the the factory OTG cables are sub par.  Only app crash (and subsequent RTH) was, in my opinion, caused by using the supplied cable on my second flight with the Mavic.  Switched to phone factory charging cable using the bottom connector and have had zero issues since.  Using a Samsung S8, by the way.

Never charged that way though, going to have to try that out.

2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, the side connection and bottom connection are complementary. Make sure only one port is connected. Regarding the battery drain, it depends on your mobile, and I'm sorry there is no option to turn on/off currently.
2018-1-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only use the USB port at the bottom of the RC if using an iPad.
2018-1-14
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

Mari Posted at 2018-1-12 07:18
If you use an adroid device, it will drain the battery of the RC... you can't stop it from charging your device (several tried, didn't succeed). Should be possible by rooting the device and switching off charging... never tried it myself, never heared somebody succeeded with that. An iOS device will not drain the battery of the RC because it stops charging via RC.

Some newer android devices offer an option to turn off charging - or only charge when below a certain capacity.   It's also possible to make a data only lead - which is what I use on my older android device.
A further option is to charge the RC via the side port while connecting your device to the bottom port - although this option is not recommend by DJI.
2018-1-14
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

RocketChap Posted at 2018-1-14 02:41
Some newer android devices offer an option to turn off charging - or only charge when below a certain capacity.   It's also possible to make a data only lead - which is what I use on my older android device.
A further option is to charge the RC via the side port while connecting your device to the bottom port - although this option is not recommend by DJI.

Hi, I have an S8 as well and wondering about the cable issue. If I do use the USB  on the RC for connection, can I still have the side cable plugged in even though it is not connected? If not I need to plug it up.

Thanks
Bob
2018-1-14
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-14 00:27
Hi there, the side connection and bottom connection are complementary. Make sure only one port is connected. Regarding the battery drain, it depends on your mobile, and I'm sorry there is no option to turn on/off currently.

This mean that the option of connect a mobile from the botton port, and charge the remote with a powerbank on the side port at the same time is not recommended by DJI? Thanks!
2018-1-14
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

RocketChap Posted at 2018-1-14 02:41
Some newer android devices offer an option to turn off charging - or only charge when below a certain capacity.   It's also possible to make a data only lead - which is what I use on my older android device.

Please explain what you mean with "data only lead"... Some forumusers allready tried by cutting one or two wires of a charging lead, without good result (no charging and no data)...
2018-1-14
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mari Posted at 2018-1-14 15:11
Please explain what you mean with "data only lead"... Some forumusers allready tried by cutting one or two wires of a charging lead, without good result (no charging and no data)...

The Data Only lead tricks the Android into connecting but stops power flowing.  Its more than a simple cutting of wires. If there is enough interest I could make and sell them.
2018-1-14
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rdg52 Posted at 2018-1-14 13:49
Hi, I have an S8 as well and wondering about the cable issue. If I do use the USB  on the RC for connection, can I still have the side cable plugged in even though it is not connected? If not I need to plug it up.

Thanks

Yes - having the lead plugged in to the side port doesn't seem to do anything - the only time it does something is when the other end of the lead is connected to a device.  Its also quite possible to plug in a USB power bank into the side port while connecting the phone/tablet to the bottom connector (although that isn't recommended by DJI).
2018-1-14
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

I have a rooted android phone (honor 5x with lineageos 14.1) and can disable USB charging if needed with this app.
But again, your phone must have root enabled to use this app, and then you can enable/disable usb charging however you want.
2018-1-14
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

RocketChap Posted at 2018-1-14 16:25
Yes - having the lead plugged in to the side port doesn't seem to do anything - the only time it does something is when the other end of the lead is connected to a device.  Its also quite possible to plug in a USB power bank into the side port while connecting the phone/tablet to the bottom connector (although that isn't recommended by DJI).

OK, I did see a post, and please excuse me but I think it was in another thread on this forum, but I was told to leave the side connection in place (keep plugged in). My biggest fear going forward, even if this solves the current issue, is what happens when Android updates their OS? I always fear that something will break again. I guess that also stands true for Go 4 updates and firmware too. I guess solid as a rock is wishful thinking.
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

drn3px69 Posted at 2018-1-14 14:26
This mean that the option of connect a mobile from the botton port, and charge the remote with a powerbank on the side port at the same time is not recommended by DJI? Thanks!

Yeah, it is not recommended.
2018-1-15
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-15 20:16
Yeah, it is not recommended.

Thanks Susan!
2018-1-16
Use props
photografic101
New
Sweden

Hello to all above!

Just got an Ipad 2 mini to my Mavic Pro, but it wount connent to the USB-port at the bottom of the controller. Side port works great. I have an original USB-to-Ipad cable and a shorter one. None of them work if I try to connect my tablet via the bottom USB. Is this suppose to work right of the box so to speak? Please help
2018-5-2
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

photografic101 Posted at 2018-5-2 03:17
Hello to all above!

Just got an Ipad 2 mini to my Mavic Pro, but it wount connent to the USB-port at the bottom of the controller. Side port works great. I have an original USB-to-Ipad cable and a shorter one. None of them work if I try to connect my tablet via the bottom USB. Is this suppose to work right of the box so to speak? Please help

Did you unplug the cable from the side port?  
2018-5-2
Use props
photografic101
New
Sweden

JEZ2 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:50

Yes. Its ALL the way of
2018-5-2
Use props
photografic101
New
Sweden

JEZ2 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:50

Nevermind........ I tryed this like 5 times and all of a sudden it started working. Figures..... But thanks anyways
2018-5-2
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Mari Posted at 2018-1-14 15:11
Please explain what you mean with "data only lead"... Some forumusers allready tried by cutting one or two wires of a charging lead, without good result (no charging and no data)...

Take a look at my post on the v2 it might interest you:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D386%26typeid%3D386
2018-6-21
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavicMule Posted at 2018-1-12 07:43
Side port drains iOS devices too.  Bottom port is your friend, no battery drain on iPad or iPhone.  MP or MPP.  I have both.

Pro and Air remotes never charged my iPhone or iPad, odd.
2018-6-21
Use props
djiuser_UaI7iz3nZkDH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 663 ft
Ireland

A CW Posted at 1-14 01:38
I only use the USB port at the bottom of the RC if using an iPad.

Hi
I tried the bottom USB port connection to iPad and doesnt work, I disconnected and linked it to the micro usb on the side and it worked, have I to do something or just connect, it’s not working for me, I’m using an apple cable so it’s good quality
2018-11-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_UaI7iz3nZkDH Posted at 11-14 09:35
Hi
I tried the bottom USB port connection to iPad and doesnt work, I disconnected and linked it to the micro usb on the side and it worked, have I to do something or just connect, it’s not working for me, I’m using an apple cable so it’s good quality

Make sure nothing is connected to the micro usb side port before putting the usb into the bottom port.
2018-11-14
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_UaI7iz3nZkDH Posted at 11-14 09:35
Hi
I tried the bottom USB port connection to iPad and doesnt work, I disconnected and linked it to the micro usb on the side and it worked, have I to do something or just connect, it’s not working for me, I’m using an apple cable so it’s good quality

Having nothing connected means having the side cable unplugged from the RC.

I believe there is one USB outlet feeding both sockets, as it can only drive one physical device they have designed it like this to ensure that both cannot be active at the same time.
2018-11-17
Use props
fans1dc2b51e
New
United States

I have android devices, phone and tablet, neither works as a monitor when connected to the USB port at the bottom of the controller.  Both show no connection to the mavic.  When I use the left port, both work as far as allowing  a connection to the mavics camera.   Not sure about battery drain, etc. with either port.  I tried two different USB cords on the bottom USB port, and still no video or connection to the mavic.  Is this and Android issue?
2019-2-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans1dc2b51e Posted at 2-2 20:40
I have android devices, phone and tablet, neither works as a monitor when connected to the USB port at the bottom of the controller.  Both show no connection to the mavic.  When I use the left port, both work as far as allowing  a connection to the mavics camera.   Not sure about battery drain, etc. with either port.  I tried two different USB cords on the bottom USB port, and still no video or connection to the mavic.  Is this and Android issue?

bottom port should work, but sometimes it doesn't work if side port is plugged in as well, i had similar experience with my mavic pro and mavic air.. sometimes just ignores connections on the bottom usb port, but play around it it and it eventually realizes something is there.
2019-2-2
Use props
djiuser_ncJhMemYv0hi
lvl.2

United States

JBourne210 Posted at 2018-1-12 10:43
I second the comment the the factory OTG cables are sub par.  Only app crash (and subsequent RTH) was, in my opinion, caused by using the supplied cable on my second flight with the Mavic.  Switched to phone factory charging cable using the bottom connector and have had zero issues since.  Using a Samsung S8, by the way.

Never charged that way though, going to have to try that out.

I also use a Galaxy S8, so you have tried using the bottom usb port to connect your phone to the remote? I just bought a cable to do that but also a replacement small cable like the short one that comes with the mavic pro 2 but this one is much better made.
2019-2-13
Use props
AkDroneFlyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1295082 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-14 00:27
Hi there, the side connection and bottom connection are complementary. Make sure only one port is connected. Regarding the battery drain, it depends on your mobile, and I'm sorry there is no option to turn on/off currently.

Can the bottom connection also be used to charge the controller on either MP or M2P?
2022-4-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

AkDroneFlyer Posted at 4-22 20:12
Can the bottom connection also be used to charge the controller on either MP or M2P?

Hi there, no, the bottom connection port is not able to be used for charging.
2022-5-5
Use props
KWP
lvl.1

New Zealand

Trying to connect my Mavic Pro to the dji flight simulator and having propblems. Have downloaded the dji assistant 2 for Mavic but in the download area it does not actually say that it supports the Mavic Pro just Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Enterprise Series, DJI Smart Controller, Mavic Mini. Will it still work?
Also should you use only the side port on the RC or can you also use the bottome port when connecting to the PC-Thanks in advance for any tips/comments.
2023-10-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KWP Posted at 10-28 10:30
Trying to connect my Mavic Pro to the dji flight simulator and having propblems. Have downloaded the dji assistant 2 for Mavic but in the download area it does not actually say that it supports the Mavic Pro just Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Enterprise Series, DJI Smart Controller, Mavic Mini. Will it still work?
Also should you use only the side port on the RC or can you also use the bottome port when connecting to the PC-Thanks in advance for any tips/comments.

You probably need to use this assistant 2

https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads ... ant-dji-2-for-mavic
2023-10-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

KWP Posted at 10-28 10:30
Also should you use only the side port on the RC or can you also use the bottome port when connecting to the PC-Thanks in advance for any tips/comments.

Hi there. We're sorry for the trouble. If you are currently using the DJI Mavic Pro, please use and download the DJI Assistant 2 software using the link below. Thank you and have a good one.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/softwares/assistant-dji-2
2023-11-14
Use props
PGP
New

United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2022-5-5 05:44
Hi there, no, the bottom connection port is not able to be used for charging.

Thank you, so I am wondering what is the purpose of the bottom port?
1-9 16:45
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

PGP Posted at 1-9 16:45
Thank you, so I am wondering what is the purpose of the bottom port?

Hi there, it is a reserved vedio-downlink port (USB), you can connect to a mobile device for video downlink via a standard USB cable.
1-9 22:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules