Osmo+ gimbal 'hunting'
1616 14 2018-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4941 ft
Netherlands

I recently purchased the Osmo+ which seemed to work properly when unpacked and checked.  I started some preparations to make some time lapse exposures of the night sky but discovered a deficiency which renders this impractical for good results.  This is a "hunting" action predominantly in the tilt (elevation) axis though less in the pan (azimuth) axis.  I did not observe  this (yet!) in the roll axis.  To provide an idea of the magnitude I focussed on a church spire more than 300m distant, set the resolution to 1920x1080 so I could use the digital as well as optical set to maximum.  I then set the auto focus square target near center.  The dimension of the square is about 1.3 units of the 16 unit by 9 unit picture size on my iPad mini2.  The target (a clock face on the church spire) now cycled approximately 1 unit in elevation (at a frequency arount 0.1 Hz) and about 0.3 units in azimuth (at a frequency of <0.05 Hz).  Re-calibrating the gimbal resulted in no change and as the camera does not appear to operate with the gimbals deliberately left locked after switch on (this practice is probably not recommended anyway for fear of damaging the gimbl system) there seems no way to ensure the camera head will remain adequately fixed for long exposures and sequences of the type I mentioned   -  which require still frame exposures of 20 seconds or more at 25-30 second intervals over a period of several hours.   If DJI or anyone can comment on this and offer any solutions I would be most obliged.  Surely it should be possible to keep gimbal drift and hunting to much smaller levels in keeping with the long exposure capabilities of the camera system and if not in extreme cases provide gimbal lock WITH camera operation.

Chris Connor.
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Chris, sorry to read on your post, any chance to post the short video about the Time-Lapse drifting issue? And what is the firmware version of your Osmo+?
2018-1-14
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-14 19:33
Hi Chris, sorry to read on your post, any chance to post the short video about the Time-Lapse drifting issue? And what is the firmware version of your Osmo+?

Hello Mindy,  
Thank you for your response.  I tried uploading a small HD resolution video clip, size 191 MB (which at my upload data rate of 20 Mbits/s should have taken about 77 seconds was still apparently uploading after about 45 minutes so I terminated the upload on the basis it was not working properly!).  Is there an alternative better/faster way to upload than clicking on the "Upload" icon above?
Anyway, the clip is about a 1 minute record of the drift/hunting oscillation of my Osmo+ though  for this clip it was  not  set for time-lapse and showed the same magnitude of change  observed earlier.  The camera is in HD 1920x1080 resolution with the 7x zoom to 'see' the tower clock, some 350m distant, reasonably clearly.  Settings were auto focus and auto exposure but from previous checks changing these settings made no difference.  The Osmo+ firmware version is 1.6.1.0 and the DJI Go app version 3.1.24 both the current latest versions (January 15, 2018) available to me.
Is there a way to "lock" all 3 axes of the gimbal which would solve the problem of long exposures and time-lapse intervals at least for fixed orientation of the camera?
I look forward to rceiving your next reply.
Kind regards,
Chris.
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris36 Posted at 2018-1-15 03:44
Hello Mindy,  
Thank you for your response.  I tried uploading a small HD resolution video clip, size 191 MB (which at my upload data rate of 20 Mbits/s should have taken about 77 seconds was still apparently uploading after about 45 minutes so I terminated the upload on the basis it was not working properly!).  Is there an alternative better/faster way to upload than clicking on the "Upload" icon above?
Anyway, the clip is about a 1 minute record of the drift/hunting oscillation of my Osmo+ though  for this clip it was  not  set for time-lapse and showed the same magnitude of change  observed earlier.  The camera is in HD 1920x1080 resolution with the 7x zoom to 'see' the tower clock, some 350m distant, reasonably clearly.  Settings were auto focus and auto exposure but from previous checks changing these settings made no difference.  The Osmo+ firmware version is 1.6.1.0 and the DJI Go app version 3.1.24 both the current latest versions (January 15, 2018) available to me.

Hi Chirs, you can upload the video to Youtube and post the link to us.
Besides, please try to lock orientation in Gimbal Settings to see if it helps.
Thanks for yout time.
2018-1-15
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-15 23:12
Thanks for yout time.

Hi again, Mindy,
I tried again to upload using the provided icon but again it went through the motions but even with a slightly shorter video and >1 hour time it didn't finish so I cancelled again and did what you suggested and uploaded both to You Tube.  This was the first time I've uploaded but all seems OK and you can check the two short videos  (set only for "private" viewing at    and    the first is the original check while the second (on a brighter day!) is with the gimbal orientation and rotation locked.   As you may note, there appears no significant change tough with the  gimbals "locked"  the magnitude of the motions may even be slightly larger.  I also tried locking the gimbals "externally" by applying some 'bluetack' (non-damaging putty) which did work to a degree but at some point the drift exceeded what the Osmo+ system would tolerate and it disabled the camera and beeped as it does if you forget to unlock the gimbals when powering up.  I suspect  DJI do NOT recommend an external mechanical lock, even such as that I tried, but I would welcome your advice on this.  I hope there is a software/firmware solution to this as I have now seen a few other references on the forum and other web locations, quoting Osmo and Osmo+ drift similar to mine.
For your further information I should add that my Osmo+ was located in its DJI Base on a level stable surface  and checked on several occasions some with battery operation others with an external line supply all in my attempts to eliminate any other source of the drift that might be under my control but the end results were always the same.

I look forward to receipt of any further advice, solutions or comments you may have to offer.
Kind regards,
Chris.
2018-1-16
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-15 23:12
Thanks for yout time.

Hi MIndy,, it seems when I sent my first reply the youtube link I included resulted in "unavailable" videos I presume because I set them to private so I'll try again to provide the link info in a way it will not be 'witheld'  :-
1. youtu.be/      ZMvv2JbERVM
2. youtu.be/       lo_bm6ffHi4

I hope you can add  any 'extra' text to the above 'addresses that will still allow you to view.  If not , can you advise how I should do so without making these small clips "Puplic" which I don't really mind but unexplained this would seem peculiar clips to post for anyone to view!
Good luck and kind regards,
Chris.
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris36 Posted at 2018-1-16 08:26
Hi MIndy,, it seems when I sent my first reply the youtube link I included resulted in "unavailable" videos I presume because I set them to private so I'll try again to provide the link info in a way it will not be 'witheld'  :-
1. youtu.be/      ZMvv2JbERVM
2. youtu.be/       lo_bm6ffHi4

Chris, unfortunately the video still cannot be opened, it is OK to upload in Youtube, if you don't want it to be public, you can upload to Dropbox or Google Driver and then post the link to me.
2018-1-17
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-17 03:39
Chris, unfortunately the video still cannot be opened, it is OK to upload in Youtube, if you don't want it to be public, you can upload to Dropbox or Google Driver and then post the link to me.

Hi, Mindy,
Try this link to my Google Storage:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gIl46Vq6h2c3RhcnRlcl9maWxl

I hope this enables you to play the files.

Kind regards,
Chris.
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

When I press the link, it shows ''how to get started with drive''. Sorry that I still cannot check the video. Please upload to Youtube and copy the link to me directly.
google.png

2018-1-17
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-17 04:56
When I press the link, it shows ''how to get started with drive''. Sorry that I still cannot check the video. Please upload to Youtube and copy the link to me directly.
[view_image]

Sorry about that, Mindy, it seems the guidelines from Google drive that providing the link would allow you to access the only 2 items saved to it were at least misleading!  However, when I logged in to check your response a few minutes ago it seems the original You Tube videos are now playable.  I've no idea why but I assume you or anyone accessing this thread can play them.  I await your further response and in the meantime I will explore the You Tube and Google Drive situations and tr to find out what I need to do to make them work the way they need to for this sort of action.
Kind regards again,
Chris.
2018-1-17
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-17 04:56
[view_image]

Hi, Mindy,
I eventually found how to change  my 2 uploaded videos to "Public" which they now appear to be as the "unavailable" videos  above now seem to be 'available to anyone  and can be played on this site (at least I can  -   where previously I too got the "unavailable" message!).
I hope this helps and will lead to a solution to the instability.
Kind regards,
Chris.
2018-1-18
Use props
jki
lvl.2
United States

Chris36 Posted at 2018-1-18 06:37
Hi, Mindy,
I eventually found how to change  my 2 uploaded videos to "Public" which they now appear to be as the "unavailable" videos  above now seem to be 'available to anyone  and can be played on this site (at least I can  -   where previously I too got the "unavailable" message!).
I hope this helps and will lead to a solution to the instability.

Mindy, this is the exact same issue of gimbal drifting that is discussed in multiple threads.  Your response is always that you have escalated the issue to your engineers, then we hear nothing.  Please give us an update on the work to resolve this issue.  Will it be something that DJI will be able to resolve, or is it something we will have to accept and not be able to use the OSMO for time lapse photography due to gimbal drift?  Please give us an update.  
2018-1-18
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

I wouldn't mind seeing an update on this, I've had the same problem, done multiple firmware updates / flashed firmware, different mobile devices, tripod mount / handheld - and still no solution. The whole point of the gimbal lock is to do exactly that - yet the drift is very noticeable. It makes long exposure shots absolutely useless. I'm starting to see more support for the drones, and less for the Osmos.
2018-1-18
Use props
jki
lvl.2
United States

Tango_B Posted at 2018-1-18 17:22
I wouldn't mind seeing an update on this, I've had the same problem, done multiple firmware updates / flashed firmware, different mobile devices, tripod mount / handheld - and still no solution. The whole point of the gimbal lock is to do exactly that - yet the drift is very noticeable. It makes long exposure shots absolutely useless. I'm starting to see more support for the drones, and less for the Osmos.

Mindy, with all due respect, can you give us an update on this issue that seems to be a problem with multiple users?  Any response from you, negative or positive, is better than not responding to our repeated requests.  The gimbal drift issue renders time lapse photography unusable.  If this is the answer, so be it.  At least give us an answer so we don't have to remain frustrated at your non-response.
2018-2-4
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

jki Posted at 2018-2-4 15:02
Mindy, with all due respect, can you give us an update on this issue that seems to be a problem with multiple users?  Any response from you, negative or positive, is better than not responding to our repeated requests.  The gimbal drift issue renders time lapse photography unusable.  If this is the answer, so be it.  At least give us an answer so we don't have to remain frustrated at your non-response.

I'm not gonna lie - I have nothing but regrets in purchasing the Osmo Plus. TIme Lapse shots are absolutely terrible, the drift is a joke. It's got nothing to do with the app, nothing to do with environmental factors. It needs a major fix. It feels as though DJI are more focused on drones for their after sales service and firmware updates, putting the osmo series on the back pedal.
2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules