1008 14 2018-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey folks, managed to get a 2nd hand pair for £300, not too bad i think...
Not tried yet, will do later today.

3 questions,

Is the distance limitation issue resolved now, or do you still have to launch craft with tablet connected then goggles?

USB vs HDMI, i take it the difference is you can use the controls and more telemetry with USB, because HDMI is only 1 way, you are restricted to limited telemtry and no control, this this correct?

2018-1-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The distance limitation is intentional, so it's permanent unless you go with the various ways out there to go to an older firmware. You will have to startup with a tablet and then do the crappy thing of unplugging it and replugging in the goggles/resetting all your settings before takeoff. That's the bad news. The good news is, going in via USB is almost worth the hassle - the latency and video quality is the best that way, you can go up to 1080p30 via USB (and the headtracking features also work). My understanding is that the additional module with HDMI only offers up to 720p and has higher latency. In other words, for 100 bucks and you have to install it yourself, you get worse video than just using the USB for 0 bucks. Not worth it; just do the hassle with the plugs, there's no other way.
2018-1-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks luciens, wow, that is rubbish, aint it, so in effect i cannot have tablet and goggles running unless i use my K1, glad i wasted the 100 bucks now

So, when connected via USB, do you get all the telemetry thats seen on the tablet? and i have to take off 1st with the tablet in use, is that what you meant?

Seems very backwards regards to the HDMI module an quality dont, who would have thunk the USB would be better quality lol
2018-1-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nope, can't use a tablet and the goggles at the same time. That's possible only on the Mavic pro.
Fortunately, though, all you have to do is fire up with the tablet attached until you get to the "start flight" thing in GO 4. That logs it in and unlocks the stupid geofence limitation. At that point, pull it out and plug in the goggles and it's unlocked. There's no other way to make it work; DJI really broke this bad in the 1.04 and later firmware and it will of course never be set right again since it's on purpose. We have to just live with this and deal with it. It's in all the other copters too....

What I do is do this before I take off. You have to do some fiddling in the goggle interface to get some of your settings restored (long story) anyway so best to do that with the a/c on the ground and not hovering burning up battery.

As for the telemetry in the goggles, it's not all the same. The goggle seems to have its own software for interacting with the bird and it's not as full featured as GO 4. So some of the setup stuff isn't available in the goggles and the appearance of what is there is a bit different. Maybe with future software upgrades to the app in the goggles will make it closer in functionality to GO 4, but who knows....
2018-1-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice and information, i appreciate it even if its not quite what i was hoping for, least i know before i go out there with them.

Last one, at what point does it show up in here that i have goggles now, i have updated the latest FW with dji assistant too

I have just had a quick try with the Nvidia Shield K1 and it mirrors the dji go 4 app on to the goggles, although, im not sure what the res is, i think perhaps 720
2018-1-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah if you fly the Mavic Pro, it doesn't hurt you as bad. The goggles connect wirelessly to the copter, so you can run the goggles and a tablet at the same time, no unplugging anything. But on the P4P, the firmware break really makes the copter a hassle to setup with when you need to use the goggles. Mirroring off an HDMI out on the tablet is another option, but it still doesn't work as well as going in direct via USB. The video quality is outstanding with the lowest latency. still a little laggy in 1080p, but you don't really notice it unless you're doing something like flying in atti mode in a 20mph wind with the cam set to FPV mode. Then the latency at 1080p can make it a handful to fly, but the 720p resolution latencies are actually really good, good enough to do even that.....
2018-1-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

flying in atti mode in a 20mph wind with the cam set to FPV mode.

ha ha ha, sounds like experience

Looks like i have some experimenting to do to find out which will suit me best, at the moment all my flying is purely practising, anything video/image is just none applicable, dont get me wrong, i do record video and take snap shots, but that too is just practise, will be a good while before i start to look at serious recordings, again, thanks ever so much for your time and advice in this, somethings are just not told or explained too well in the manual
2018-1-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yep, 98% of my operations are pure FPV in very high winds, so this broken firmware with the goggles and the P4P is particularly bad for me. I'm boycotting DJI copters, in fact, because of it. But it's not practical to hope DJI fixes it so I just cope with it on my lone P4P and when it breaks or crashes, I'll just have to see what other competitor I can go to for a replacement at that time (or just DIY my own machine). For my fun FPV ops, I just fly my old F550/Naza on 5.8ghz analog with my racing edition goggles. In manual mode, it's a pulse-pounding experience for sure...

But for framing a shot and shooting video in general, I don't see how you can do it without FPV and particularly the goggles. Tablets are tiny and invisible outdoors, so they're impractical for use for FPV videography/photography. If you want to do a good job and have fun, that is. So by all means spend some time learning to fly FPV as well, since you'll need it to actually shoot any footage....
2018-1-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks luciens
2018-1-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As an added bonus you can now load your own 1080P videos (mp4 and mov both supported) onto micro sd card and view using Goggles, that came with the latest update :-)
2018-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ha, I only read the faq this morning saying you can't, that's a step in the right direction I spose....
2018-1-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-13 12:13
Ha, I only read the faq this morning saying you can't, that's a step in the right direction I spose....

So what do you think of the goggles so far, is the screen size, viewing area what you expected ?
2018-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, i first had a go via the HDMI from the Shield K1, its was ok, open to some ghosting and the quality was sub par to say the least, but, i had everything on the screen that shows in the dji go app, I then pulled out the 10" Tab S2, of which there was no point whatsoever, dont ask, i really dont know lol, i set it up in  2.7k @ 30fps, disconnected the device and connected the goggles via the USB, the difference wast instant and amazing, i had to use the full travel of my eyes so i could read the top corners   loved it and them.

I do have some down points

Colour was quite bland, ok, it was a very overcast day but still, it was as though it was in d-log when it was in fact in d-cinilike i think its called, with device and goggles on the same setting, the was different in colour quite a bit. i coudlnt find a colour setting in the googles, only brightness, did i blink and miss it?

Light seepage around the nose and around the area where my glasses arms go through, the latter will be rectified once i find out my prescription

When these were designed, i think they used the measurements from Joseph Merrick, the only part that touches my head is the very front and back and the top plate, this leads to some uncomfort, just a little side grip would have been nice, thicker padding is needed for sure as it never seemed to fit right.

Using and finding stuff in the menus was hard and bit time consuming but this will just get easier over time, gonna take a while to get used to swipe, double swipe, tapping, hoping for the best and not accidentally hitting Tapfly in the process, no, seriously the latter could be fatal for the drone   ive tried Tapfly using a device and had to abort on both tries, using that through the goggles when not knowing what your are doing would be a great way to lose ya drone or at the very least, take it home in a carrier bag :/ lol needs an abort button, actaully one could, just not found it in the manual yet, 2 secs......... thanks for waiting took a bit loonger than expected ;) ah, the back button, good to know

It took me ages to figure out how to turn off head tracking, i thought full screen was these standard mode, and kept clicking that, who'd a thunk you hit the same mode again, i did read the manual the night before whilst sat on the throne, must have missed that bit lol

Music on startup, one must find a way to turn that off, no need for it, for me that is...... doesnt look ppossible.

is it just me or does it not hold settings when turned off?

Ok, sounds like i dont like them dont it, but hey, ya did ask lol but no, thats a big no, i love them and all the points above mean nothing in comparison as to how good these really are once i used the USB. not tried controller HDMI yet,  these are amazing, even more so after try fatshark HD2, there is just no comparison, totally different league

2018-1-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Bashy, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It seems that you are enjoying this. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions.
2018-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Susan, how do i get my goggles to show under my avatar? they are 2nd hand btw so i have not activated them or out like that
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules