Over one mile with Spark and Android - here's how
3444 12 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112871 ft
United States

As I've stated in previous posts, when I first started flying the Spark, I was lucky to get much over 200 yards in distance.  At that distance, I would receive warnings about weak/failing video, and weak signal in general.  It was at that point that I began trying to eliminate anything that would interfere with the software/hardware/network operations of the phone and controller, and try to make things as efficient as possible.  First, here is my setup:

DJI Spark and remote controller running DJI Go 4 with all software and firmware up to date

Motorola Z2 Play phone with 32 GB memory running Android 7.1.1

I am NOT using an OTG cable!

Although I can't put my finger on any one thing that is a clear winner, here's everything I did to consistently fly over one mile under good conditions with signal to spare:

Mods for the phone:

Put the phone in “Airplane Mode” while flying.  This will also turn off WiFi, but you can switch WiFi back on by itself before starting and during Go 4.

Completely eliminate the phone dealing with incoming calls by call-forwarding any incoming calls to another number.

If your Android phone supports precision GPS locating, go into that phone setting and turn off location services that use cellular and WiFi for location.  Choose the option to use GPS only for location.

Shut down/disable/uninstall any other software on the phone that may be constantly trying to access network services.  Needless to say, Facebook no longer resides on this phone .

In general, try not to run any software on the phone that isn’t absolutely necessary while flying.  The idea here is to free up processor time.

If your phone is using an SD memory expansion card, make sure it is a "fast" memory card.  It appears that when I bought my phone, the sales people fudged on my SD expansion card and put in a slower card than the phone specs called for.  That problem has been fixed.

Mods for DJI Go 4:

Increase the camera buffer from the default 2G if your phone has the memory.  I’ve run mine as big as 8G.  And, clear the buffer before every flight.

Put the camera/video in Manual mode, and run the ISO speed and Frames-Per-Second as slow as you can get away with.  I try to run mine at 100 ISO and 60 Frames-Per-Second.  I'm not worried about the video quality coming back to the controller.  All I want is a good enough video to fly with.  I don’t need HD video streaming back to the controller eating up bandwidth since any pics or video I take will be stored on the SD card in the drone in HD mode anyway.   And, make sure you have a “fast” SD card in the Spark.

People have suggested that you have a formatted SD card in the drone to remedy range and video drop out problems.  However, this didn't seem to help me.

When running in the default 5.8ghz mode, you really need to be line-of-sight with the drone since the shorter wavelength of 5.8 doesn't penetrate obstacles as well as 2.4ghz.  I use a program for Android called “WiFi Analyzer” to see how much WiFi network traffic is in my area before I fly.  This, along with the built-in WiFi detector in Go 4 let’s me find the least congested WiFi channels, and I manually select which channel I want to use in Go 4.  On 01/12/2018, I consistently flew over one mile line-of-sight in clear weather using 2.4 Ghz channel 1 with flawless video stream and no signal drop outs.   And, the key here is “line-of-sight” and a clean WiFi channel.  The more obstacles you have between you and the drone, the shorter your range will be.  And, (if it’s not congested) the 2.4 Ghz band will penetrate trees and foliage better than 5.8 Ghz.  And, don't forget that atmospheric conditions affect WiFi range.  Clear conditions and low humidity work better than high humidity and fog.

Your own flying situation may take some special tweaks, but hopefully these suggestions will give you a good start.

2018-1-13
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

If you have a spare device, you may elect to use it for the Spark with DJI GO4  app . Also run a screen recorderapp while flying just to keep record of what  is popping from the DJI GO4 app.

Do take note also that the RC antennas to kept parallel in relation to the AC for optimum WIFI reception.
2018-1-13
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Lots of good suggestions.  Do not post that you are flying a mile from yourself.  Post that you have hints to get a strong robust signal.  The FAA, the U.S. Congress, and the U.S. Army Blackhawk squadron are fascinated by stories of people flying drones a mile from them selves.  They keep these posts as supporting documents to justify restrictive regulations.  

RC model enthusiast just think you are doing your best to get drones banned from the nation skies.
2018-1-13
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

Thank you for the tips. I'll try some of them myself soon. But I did think one suggestion was odd.  You say:
"Put the camera/video in Manual mode, and run the ISO speed and Frames-Per-Second as slow as you can get away with.  I try to run mine at 100 ISO and 60 Frames-Per-Second.  I'm not worried about the video quality coming back to the controller.  All I want is a good enough video to fly with.  I don’t need HD video streaming back to the controller eating up bandwidth since any pics or video I take will be stored on the SD card in the drone in HD mode anyway. " - you seem to believe that this changes the quality of the video back to the phone. I think you are adjusting the video settings that are being used to capture to the SD card. The video feed sent back to the phone will not be HD. So I don't think adjusting these is going to help with distance. But as always - I could be wrong.
2018-1-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I agree with almost all your suggestions. Especially keeping the mobile device as "clean" as possible in terms of other apps running in parallel should significantly improve the performance of the device. Changing the video settings should not have an impact in my opinion. What is being sent to the remote the much reduced resolution anyway. Equally whether there is an SD card in the Spark or not should not matter for connection quality. It's needed for recording high resolution video and pictures, no impact on range of the Spark though.
2018-1-13
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-13 08:31
Thank you for the tips. I'll try some of them myself soon. But I did think one suggestion was odd.  You say:
"Put the camera/video in Manual mode, and run the ISO speed and Frames-Per-Second as slow as you can get away with.  I try to run mine at 100 ISO and 60 Frames-Per-Second.  I'm not worried about the video quality coming back to the controller.  All I want is a good enough video to fly with.  I don’t need HD video streaming back to the controller eating up bandwidth since any pics or video I take will be stored on the SD card in the drone in HD mode anyway. " - you seem to believe that this changes the quality of the video back to the phone. I think you are adjusting the video settings that are being used to capture to the SD card. The video feed sent back to the phone will not be HD. So I don't think adjusting these is going to help with distance. But as always - I could be wrong.

Even though I greatly reduce the quality of video and pics coming back to the phone/controller, the video and pics on the SD card on the Spark still appear to be HD.
2018-1-13
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-13 08:40
I agree with almost all your suggestions. Especially keeping the mobile device as "clean" as possible in terms of other apps running in parallel should significantly improve the performance of the device. Changing the video settings should not have an impact in my opinion. What is being sent to the remote the much reduced resolution anyway. Equally whether there is an SD card in the Spark or not should not matter for connection quality. It's needed for recording high resolution video and pictures, no impact on range of the Spark though.

I agree that having an SD card in the Spark didn't seem to help me.  But, others have said it helped them.
2018-1-13
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

steve_in_TX Posted at 2018-1-13 08:50
Even though I greatly reduce the quality of video and pics coming back to the phone/controller, the video and pics on the SD card on the Spark still appear to be HD.

Thats what I trying to say Steve - you are not reducing the quality of the video and pics coming back to the phone/controller. Those settings just adjust what is being saved to the SD card on the spark. You have no control (that i know of ) of the video quality back to the phone - although that would be a nice feature to help with bandwidth.
2018-1-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

steve_in_TX Posted at 2018-1-13 08:50
Even though I greatly reduce the quality of video and pics coming back to the phone/controller, the video and pics on the SD card on the Spark still appear to be HD.

You cannot influence the quality of video and pics coming back to the phone/controller, they will be always the same. The manual settings only influence what is recorded on the SD card.
2018-1-13
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-13 08:40
I agree with almost all your suggestions. Especially keeping the mobile device as "clean" as possible in terms of other apps running in parallel should significantly improve the performance of the device. Changing the video settings should not have an impact in my opinion. What is being sent to the remote the much reduced resolution anyway. Equally whether there is an SD card in the Spark or not should not matter for connection quality. It's needed for recording high resolution video and pictures, no impact on range of the Spark though.

I can't say the operation is now trouble free.  Twice now, the Go 4 software crashed (for lack of a better term) while I was in mid-flight, and returned to the Android home screen.  Both times, I restarted the software and it readily re-connected to the Spark.  When it did, the Spark was just hovering at altitude as if you let go of the controls, and it also appeared to remember where "home" was.  Both times, it was over a quarter-mile away.  But, I was able to continue the flight both times.  I've never had a piece of Android software do that.  I suppose I should post about this in the software forum.
2018-1-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

steve_in_TX Posted at 2018-1-13 14:24
I can't say the operation is now trouble free.  Twice now, the Go 4 software crashed (for lack of a better term) while I was in mid-flight, and returned to the Android home screen.  Both times, I restarted the software and it readily re-connected to the Spark.  When it did, the Spark was just hovering at altitude as if you let go of the controls, and it also appeared to remember where "home" was.  Both times, it was over a quarter-mile away.  But, I was able to continue the flight both times.  I've never had a piece of Android software do that.  I suppose I should post about this in the software forum.

I am not sure if I read your latest response correctly. It was by no way my intention to criticise, to the opposite, in my opinion you have done the absolutely right thing which was to free up the maximum of available resources on your mobile device. I am convinced that quite a number of software problems we are reading here about are related to disturbing factors that you have successfully eliminated on your device. Apologies should I have caused any misunderstanding for you.
2018-1-13
Use props
steve_in_TX
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-13 14:32
I am not sure if I read your latest response correctly. It was by no way my intention to criticise, to the opposite, in my opinion you have done the absolutely right thing which was to free up the maximum of available resources on your mobile device. I am convinced that quite a number of software problems we are reading here about are related to disturbing factors that you have successfully eliminated on your device. Apologies should I have caused any misunderstanding for you.

No offense taken here.  I just want to be sure I post a software issue in the software forum.  There appears to be many seasoned knowledgeable users such as yourself in these forums.  I want to do my part by making sure a definite software issue gets posted in the appropriate place.  You and others here have been a great help.
2018-1-13
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Excellent, but you may put yourself losing your Spark. Because flying far increases chance to lose connection and for Spark, it does take very long time for connection to re-establish. Besides it does consume half of fully charged battery to fly a mile so you may encounter critical low battery on return route which cause Spark to land somewhere which, again, cause connection lost when the altitude is lowering because of any signal obstruction.
2018-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules