12728 23 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Only referrong to FAA/US here.
I think I goofed up again. After a thread a few weeks ago I understood that everyone in the US now has to now register each of their drones with the FAA. So I went to the FAA site and followed the UAS links and registered myself and my two drones under part 107. Today, I'm watching a video by 51 Drones and I think I should have registered under part 336. In that case, I am not registering my drones, only me. The one certificate number applies to all drones.

Can someone clarify for me what registration I need to be in compliance in the US when I just want to fly the MPP for fun and games? Do I have to unregister myself and my drones from the part 107 dashboard? Or, should I stay on both? Does part 107 have any meaning to me or my flying if I don't actually have any kind of license?

2018-1-13
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Part 107 registration is required if
1. You have your Remote Pilot Certification
2. You are flying under part 107 operating rule

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/part_107/

If you do not have you Remote Pilot Certifcation, you should register under section 336

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/
2018-1-13
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

This may provide more information: FAADroneZone.

Other can provide better clarification but from my reading, it you're flying own your own for recreational purposes, you'll register under part 107. If you're fly as part of a club, you'll register under section 336.
2018-1-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Can someone clarify for me what registration I need to be in compliance in the US when I just want to fly the MPP for fun and games?

Your latest understanding is correct: you must register under the Section 336 Dashboard.

Do I have to unregister myself and my drones from the part 107 dashboard? Or, should I stay on both?

I'm not even sure it's possible to unregister yourself, but yes, I'd probably remove the drones since they won't be flown under 107.

Does part 107 have any meaning to me or my flying if I don't actually have any kind of license?

No, not really.
2018-1-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-13 11:31
This may provide more information: FAADroneZone.

Other can provide better clarification but from my reading, it you're flying own your own for recreational purposes, you'll register under part 107. If you're fly as part of a club, you'll register under section 336.

it you're flying own your own for recreational purposes, you'll register under part 107. If you're fly as part of a club, you'll register under section 336.

Section 336 applies to recreational flight and 107 applies to everything else. I believe you're thinking of the reference to following a set of community-based safety guidelines, which is one of the required conditions for a flight to be considered recreational.
2018-1-13
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
United States

OK - 336 sounds right for a person that has no interest in commercial flights. This means I do not register my drones with the FAA individually. I got a certificate number assigned to me personally (FA37EFXCPH) under 336 and I apply that same number to each drone.

Comments on the forum regarding registering drones only applies to 107.

I believe I can cancel the registrations of the drones under 107 but I don't get a refund. Could have saved a few bucks if I had researched a bit better. Maybe instead of cancelling I'll just leave them there until they expire. It probably doesn't hurt as they are pretty much meaningless without me having the pilot certificate. At minimum, I want to have my act together if I'm ever asked about my drones.

Thanks for the help.

Kev
2018-1-13
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-13 12:04
it you're flying own your own for recreational purposes, you'll register under part 107. If you're fly as part of a club, you'll register under section 336.

Section 336 applies to recreational flight and 107 applies to everything else. I believe you're thinking of the reference to following a set of community-based safety guidelines, which is one of the required conditions for a flight to be considered recreational.

They certainly don't make it easy to figure out...

The way I read the below, you register under section 336 if you're going to fly with a club.
Registration.png

However, according to this, it seems as long as you "fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" (whatever that means), you can register under section 336.
OptionsForFlying.png

Who knows? Maybe I'm missing something obvious!

I registered under part 107 and am now thinking I made the wrong choice!
2018-1-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-13 12:37

The way I read the below, you register under section 336 if you're going to fly with a club.

I agree, though in fairness recent court decisions and changes in law did muddy the waters a bit.

Yes, it does sound that way from the information on the "Drone Zone" web site, but that information is misleading.

However, according to this, it seems as long as you "fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" (whatever that means), you can register under section 336.

Yes, that's one of the conditions for being considered a recreational pilot. If you don't satisfy all those conditions when you fly then technically the 107 regulations apply. That, in turn, means that if you don't satisfy the 336 (recreational) conditions and don't have a 107 certification then any flight is a violation.

Regarding the "community-based organization" part, as far as I know the Academy of Model Aeronautics is the only one recognized as such by the FAA. Unfortunately, the AMA seems to be dominated by grumpy old men who consider quadcopter pilots -- at least the ones who don't pay them protection money . . . oops, I mean "membership fees" . . . to be rogues, but I digress. I'll just admit that if I were in Hanson's position that I, too, would be drooling at the prospect of a million drone owners being forced to pay membership dues to my organization.

Who knows? Maybe I'm missing something obvious! I registered under part 107 and am now thinking I made the wrong choice!

Sorry, but yes, if you're only flying recreationally then you did.

2018-1-13
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-13 13:02

I agree, though in fairness recent court decisions and changes in law did muddy the waters a bit.

Yes, it does sound that way from the information on the "Drone Zone" web site, but that information is misleading.Interestingly, the "Drone Zone" web site I referred to is the FAA: FAADroneZone

No wonder so many people have so many questions and are confused.

Who knows? Maybe I'm missing something obvious! I registered under part 107 and am now thinking I made the wrong choice!
Sorry, but yes, if you're only flying recreationally then you did.

I wonder if there's any way to correct this. Or if it's even worth the effort. I only plan on flying recreationally.

And thanks for taking the time to reply and helping unconfuse me!

2018-1-13
Use props
Lucubrate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 328717 ft
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-13 13:50
Yes, it does sound that way from the information on the "Drone Zone" web site, but that information is misleading.Interestingly, the "Drone Zone" web site I referred to is the FAA: FAADroneZone

I think it is worth it for you to register under part 336. Without that registration you aren’t supposed to be flying for recreational purposes. The 107 registration won’t count because you aren’t fully 107 compliant.
2018-1-13
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

Lucubrate Posted at 2018-1-13 14:10
I think it is worth it for you to register under part 336. Without that registration you aren’t supposed to be flying for recreational purposes. The 107 registration won’t count because you aren’t fully 107 compliant.

I believe you're right.

I've looked at the FAA web site and don't see a way to transfer/change my registration (without paying $5.00 again). I've sent an email to the FAA and hope they respond in a reasonable amount of time.

2018-1-13
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

The registration requires registering each drone you use for flying under Part 107, if you registered under part 107 you can still use that registration number to fly recreationally. It is the intended use of the drone that matters, if you registered under 336 you are only allowed recreational flight based on community guidelines & FAA Regulation/Rules. Registering under Part 107 will allow you to fly commercially and recreationally respectively as Part 107 just holds you to a higher standard than 336. I fly my drones for both purposes, I only identify / tag my drones with the specific FAA Reg # provided for each drone under Part 107. The registration requirements under Part 107 do not inhibit your ability to fly recreationally, the registration requirements under 336 do inhibit your ability to fly commercially. And yes you do have to be Part 107 certified to tag your drone with a Part 107 Reg # if you are flying any commercial mission.

The benefit to 336 Requirement is you can fly multiple drones under the same # without paying the fee for each drone.
2018-1-13
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
United States

The chart from the FAA webiste for Section 336 says:

* Register your model aircraft

There's the root of my confusion. The only place to register the aircraft is part 107 so that's where I did it. The 336 dashboard only allows the registration of the user. So this is wrong on the FAA site.

I'm OK with following a community-base organization's guidelines (guideline means something specific to me - not a rule, not a law and open to interpretation). What I do not like (and I know that's not the issue) is to have to pay dues to this organization. I don't think that's what the FAA is saying. I'm a ham radio operator and we have a national organization (ARRL) that provides some guides. The FCC will often rule on a non-penalty  matter based on this organization's guidelines. It may even use the guidelines to prove an interpretation I think. But I don't think the FCC would ever fine unless they actually had an FCC rule that covered the issue.

* I learned in the Navy that visual line-of-sight is 30 miles (horizon at sea level without obstructions). I can fly within visual line-of-sight and never actually see my drone.

* Never fly near other aircraft. As in, two drones can't fly together? Never = no exceptions?

My only point here is that the confusion is pretty deep and the FAA has some work to do. Now, my political leanings leads me to wish the FAA and any government restriction stay out of my personal life and recreational choices but I understand why that can't be. I also don't see the FAA jumping all over anyone for anything but the most blatant digressions. I need to investigate the AMA (another AMA - motorcycles and medical) and their guidelines and hope that they are reasonable to me and don't require me to pay them to fly. That might help reduce some of the confusion. More homework.

In the end, I will remove my aircraft from the 107 dashboard and mark my drones with my 336 number and just use common sense advised by AMA's guidelines.

This has been a good discussion. Thank you.
2018-1-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-13 17:13

I learned in the Navy that visual line-of-sight is 30 miles (horizon at sea level without obstructions). I can fly within visual line-of-sight and never actually see my drone.

Actually that would be "line of sight"; "visual line of sight" (VLOS) means that you can actually see the drone with "unaided" vision other than glasses or contact lenses; in other words, no binoculars, telescopes, etc. I just now noticed, though, that the FAA web site actually says, "line of sight." Again, this was a poor choice of words, though I suppose it might be argued that they were just trying to make it easy for laymen to understand. In any case, the actual requirement is to maintain VLOS with your drone at all times.

Never fly near other aircraft. As in, two drones can't fly together? Never = no exceptions?

Good catch. Once again, the web site is misleading; it probably should say "near manned aircraft". Then again, that section of the revamped web site mixes requirements with recommendations, so who knows if that's really what was meant.
2018-1-13
Use props
Curt Stapleton
New

United States

I did the same.  I registered two drone under 107, later realizing 336 was my intention.  So I bravely contacted FAA on how to cancel my 107, and re-register them as 336.  I expressed to the FAA, that did not plan to get a certificate/license.  He replied that flying under 107 does not require Commercial License.  This left me confused again.  But thanks to your chat here, I find some agree with the FAA email that I received at 5pm tonight.  Bottom line, if you want to get paid for your aerial photography then pay the FAA $150 and take the test, to go make money.  The FAA assured me that I could register under 107 and just fly for fun!  You can bet I printed the FAA email and will carry it with me.

On another note, while recently flying in a park with permission, I asked a police officer.  He had no idea.  And I bet after reading FAA website, like the park office did, he still has no idea.
2018-2-2
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-13 17:33
I learned in the Navy that visual line-of-sight is 30 miles (horizon at sea level without obstructions). I can fly within visual line-of-sight and never actually see my drone.

Actually that would be "line of sight"; "visual line of sight" (VLOS) means that you can actually see the drone with "unaided" vision other than glasses or contact lenses; in other words, no binoculars, telescopes, etc. I just now noticed, though, that the FAA web site actually says, "line of sight." Again, this was a poor choice of words, though I suppose it might be argued that they were just trying to make it easy for laymen to understand. In any case, the actual requirement is to maintain VLOS with your drone at all times.

How far can you see on the water?
Comment: It depends on your height above the water. You could only see 20 miles if you were well above sea level. If …you are standing more or less at sea level, with your eyes just a few feet above the water level, you could see only about 3 or 4 miles. For example: Eye level at 6 feet: horizon at about 3 miles.
2018-2-3
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-2-3 00:57
How far can you see on the water?
Comment: It depends on your height above the water. You could only see 20 miles if you were well above sea level. If …you are standing more or less at sea level, with your eyes just a few feet above the water level, you could see only about 3 or 4 miles. For example: Eye level at 6 feet: horizon at about 3 miles.

This is from answer.com
2018-2-3
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11597195 ft
  • >>>

My understand is: for all hobbyist, register 336, for commercial  and recreational purpose, register 107. So I canceled my 107, and re-registered 336. I am not sure whether I am right.  
2018-5-8
Use props
NormSpark
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7 Posted at 2018-5-8 19:12
My understand is: for all hobbyist, register 336, for commercial  and recreational purpose, register 107. So I canceled my 107, and re-registered 336. I am not sure whether I am right.

but hobbyist is more or less = flying for recreational purpose. It is $10 total so I registered to both of which contains two different certificate number.
2018-9-13
Use props
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

Curt Stapleton Posted at 2018-2-2 22:24
I did the same.  I registered two drone under 107, later realizing 336 was my intention.  So I bravely contacted FAA on how to cancel my 107, and re-register them as 336.  I expressed to the FAA, that did not plan to get a certificate/license.  He replied that flying under 107 does not require Commercial License.  This left me confused again.  But thanks to your chat here, I find some agree with the FAA email that I received at 5pm tonight.  Bottom line, if you want to get paid for your aerial photography then pay the FAA $150 and take the test, to go make money.  The FAA assured me that I could register under 107 and just fly for fun!  You can bet I printed the FAA email and will carry it with me.

On another note, while recently flying in a park with permission, I asked a police officer.  He had no idea.  And I bet after reading FAA website, like the park office did, he still has no idea.

with your 107, without the pilot license, can you still fly during night time?
2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_1eboAUGUE9g7
New

United States

I registered a Phantom 4 but am thinking of selling it and I also own an Inspire that I've been working on, now that it's finished can I just swap the registration from Phantom to it?
2019-2-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-13 13:50
Yes, it does sound that way from the information on the "Drone Zone" web site, but that information is misleading.Interestingly, the "Drone Zone" web site I referred to is the FAA: FAADroneZone

Adding to confusion...
Believe for a short time period last year, FAA's website had licensing link for registering as a Hobby pilot (336) going to the form for Commercial (part 107).
2019-2-28
Use props
Filipok
lvl.2
United States

I did this too. I had three drones registered as a 107. When I signed up, I could have sworn I registered as a hobbyist. But gosh, it looks like I did not. I re-registered and emailed support as to what to do about the 107s entries. They can advise me as how to handle that.
2019-7-30
Use props
SunshynFF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30010 ft
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-13 17:13

I know this is an older post, but you made a very good point and I wanted to add to it....

Everyone keeps saying "what ever that means" referring to CBO's[community based organization]), which can mean AMA in a round about way. A true CBO is much smaller, like a group I'm in near St. Louis, StL FPV Racers, and there is another local group called Stl Whirlybirds (heli and fixed wing club), those organizations both meet the certain requirements, i.e. member notification protocols, training every so often, meetings at least bi annually I think, to make them an official AMA organization, with a CBO ID.  So if you are part of their club, you are officially flying under the guidelines of a CBO.  The catch is to be a member of most of them, they require you to be an AMA member, and some have yearly dues.  Now the FPV race group I fly with is only a couple yrs old, and the RC park the Whirlybirds use was kind enough to set aside a 2acre field for our racing quads. Our group has no fees and has few meetings, but we are registered officially as a sub group of the whirlybirds, they only ask that we show up at some of their events and volunteer some work.  BUT...to fly at the RC park, or to enter any sanctioned FPV race, you must have......you guessed it, an AMA card.

The other thing you mentioned, the ARRL, would also count as a CBO.  Many drone pilots, especially racers/freestylers don't realize this, but if you are using the 5.8, 2.4 or 1.2GHz frequency for your radio or your fpv camera system, you are supposed to have a HAM operator license.  It's about as, or probably less, enforced than jay walking, I don't think the FCC cares.  I actually just read an article, and I was not aware of this, it was only like 2011/2012 the the whole drone responsibility was dumped in the FAA's lap.  Before then, RC hobbyists were only regulated by the FCC, which had a very good relationship with the AMA, so most RC folks just worried about AMA regs.  I was under the impression the FAA jumped at the chance to assert their rule over another group of people, but apparently they were none to happy to take on the responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for them, they've had plenty of time to get their act together...lol.
2019-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules