1658 15 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans923b8fd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3175755 ft
  • >>>
Australia

We have had the Inspire 2 for 6 months now and remain unable to use it for any quality cinematic shooting due to its poor performance in holding position, and for tracking flight paths accurately without deviation. We are very familiar with DJI products, with several hundred hours experience with Phantom 3, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1.
This Inspire 2 aircraft is the worst of them all. Simple crane or reveal shots are not possible or repeatable with the Inspire 2 due to its inability to maintain its position in hover or low speed flight.

The aircraft has been returned to DJI in Australia, who claim this is performing to spec..

I have uploaded images that demonstrate significant stability issues. We are currently seeking a refund from supplier, but I note the more I search, the more people are having the same or similar issues with this model. I would like some explanation from DJI as to what they are doing in relation to these issues, and will the aircraft be upgraded to at least meet the advertised performance characteristics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBS0Xkp6PDCuPUTrVHBkOQ2V8pQ3INbME
2018-1-13
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try using the tripod mode or try flying without GPS.
It does seem like a lot of deviation.  
I own two Inspire 2 airframes.
One drifts a little in a hover but within specs for its class.  I use it for a backup and training new camera operators.  
There are factory prop guards for flying in a tight place or near people.  

2018-1-13
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

eggbeater Posted at 2018-1-13 17:43
Try using the tripod mode or try flying without GPS.
It does seem like a lot of deviation.  
I own two Inspire 2 airframes.

Hi eggbeater,
Thanks for your input. We have tried in range of setups, vps on and off, and there is little difference. Every 10 or 20 seconds it takes off usually to the left and down and then wobbles its way back to the start position. Not consistent though. Unanle to line it up to use for a crane shot.

As professional filmmakers, we just can’t use it.

I would appreciate a DJI representative commenting on whether they believe this is acceptable performance. If so, then at least others can be better informed of the limitations of this airframe, and/or based on your advice that at least 1 of your Inspire 2 airframes flys well, that DJI have quality assurance issues, which should trigger a recall. If it was a car, it would be dealt with by authorities in no time.
2018-1-13
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine moves around quite a bit in Hover as well. My P4P is much more stable, doesn't move at all in hover. Thanks for the suggestion on trying Attitude mode to see if the GPS is causing the issue. Actually that makes sense to me.
2018-1-14
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Hi TWWorks,

can understand your concerns. It maybe  within DJI specs but this does not look normal.  My I1 hovers like it is tethered to the ground even in high wind. Seems like your I2 is hunting for GPS, had a large rig do this to me about 4 years ago.

Good luck dealing with DJI in Australia, especially if it is in Melbourne!

regards wolf
2018-1-14
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Wolfman Posted at 2018-1-14 14:21
Hi TWWorks,

can understand your concerns. It maybe  within DJI specs but this does not look normal.  My I1 hovers like it is tethered to the ground even in high wind. Seems like your I2 is hunting for GPS, had a large rig do this to me about 4 years ago.

Thanks wolf,

Yes, I am familiar with good rigs using I1, P3P and P4P. I have however previously returned phantom rigs because they couldn’t hold a hover position. As you can tell from our name, we are in the business of precision aerial cinematography. This equipment just doesn’t cut it. I’ve found if the airframe will hover well, it usually performs well in all flight modes.

If it can’t hover, it usually performs badly in other flight characteristics as well. That is also the case with this I2. Not only can’t it hover, but it can’t fly a straight path or way point mission without deviation. Impossible to get quality vision in this circumstance.

I am, however, perplexed by DJI’s reluctance to replace obviously faulty equipment. They clearly have had QA issues for a long time. The I2 has been on the market for 12 months, so I expect they would have ironed out the bugs by now.

In any event, luckily we have consumer protection laws to fall back to, but things would be easier for all, and customer loyalty would be improved if DJI immediately could recognize this issue and offer quality replacement in the first instance.

I am hoping a DJI representative ways in on this forum, and provides some guidance as to how DJI are going to treat this problem.
2018-1-14
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

As I have been further reviewing my circumstances, I was alerted to a possible defective control arm. On further inspection the left control arm of the airframe has unacceptable give and play in it, and as widely reported all of the props have significant play. Not sure why a loose control arm was not quickly identified by DJI service in Australia.

This point alone is sufficient to request a replacement airframe, but I note that still DJI representative has not commented in this thread.

That is very disappointing, and leaves you feeling that they’re not interested in helping in any way.
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

TvWorks CP Posted at 2018-1-15 01:47
As I have been further reviewing my circumstances, I was alerted to a possible defective control arm. On further inspection the left control arm of the airframe has unacceptable give and play in it, and as widely reported all of the props have significant play. Not sure why a loose control arm was not quickly identified by DJI service in Australia.

This point alone is sufficient to request a replacement airframe, but I note that still DJI representative has not commented in this thread.

TvWorks CP, I'm sorry for the late response because of the weekend.
Here is the GPS Hovering Accuracy of Inspire 2.
Vertical: ±1.64 feet (0.5 m) or ±0.33 feet (0.1 m, Downward Vision System enabled)
Horizontal: ±4.92 feet (1.5 m) or ±0.98 feet (0.3 m, Downward Vision System enabled)
And we are always working on improving the stability of our drone.
If you have sent in the drone to repair center, could you please post the case number here so that I can check the evaluation and make it clear for you? Thank you.
2018-1-15
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

The Case Number in Australia was RMA171003726
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

TvWorks CP Posted at 2018-1-15 15:33
The Case Number in Australia was RMA171003726

I apologize that it is not the case number, which should be started with CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx.
And I didn't find the case number with your Forum account either. Could you please help to clarify again? Thank you.
2018-1-16
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Mindy,

This is the case number provided by EE Hobbies in Melbourne. Please check with your distributor about any DJI reference.
2018-1-16
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Australia

TvWorks CP Posted at 2018-1-16 15:31
Hi Mindy,

This is the case number provided by EE Hobbies in Melbourne. Please check with your distributor about any DJI reference.

Hi TvWorks

OH dear.....EE Hobbies.......I am afraid that you will need a trip to the doctor for lots of calming medication, you will get more of an idea about what is going on if you ask your cat! Can't even begin to add up the time I have wasted in there.

Good luck mate, you will need it.

regards wolf
2018-1-16
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Wolf,

We did not buy from them, but the supplier we bought from did.
I absolutely agree. This is not the first experience with them either.

The problems with this I2 as received include the following.

1.  Airframe won’t hover, and won’t fly straight.
2.  Loose left control arm (probably contributing to 1)
3. X5S camera leaves artifacts - looks like dead pixels on sensor
4. Faulty batteries. (Which were replaced)

And they think this is acceptable.

This Is my last effort to get a refund or replacement.
My next effort will be to contact Australian Competition and Consumer Commission seeking a refund. And if I have to go to that trouble, I will be contacting CASA as a Reoc holder and Chief Pilot to report the airframe as unsafe and it should be grounded until DJI recall all I2’s to rectify their glued engine mounts that fall off and their faulty manufacturing. This is a safety issue, as well as a consumer rights issue.

DJI need to understand the seriousness of this problem, with a Senate Inquiry underway, there could be a lot more strife if they don’t immediately get me in the air with a new “flawless” outfit, you know like I paid for 6 months ago. I never intended to spend $20k on a complete outfit with lenses and batteries etc.  without being able to make a single $ from it.
2018-1-16
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Australia

TvWorks CP Posted at 2018-1-16 21:13
Thanks Wolf,

We did not buy from them, but the supplier we bought from did.

pm sent mate
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

TvWorks CP Posted at 2018-1-16 15:31
Hi Mindy,

Sir, it would be very difficult for us to get the case from your dealer since we moderators in Forum only support the end users. Any chance to get it from your suppliers, they definitely have the case info, appreciate your assistance.
2018-1-17
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Minndy, I realize this has been a long time in reply.
In short EE Hobbies replaced the airframe only, and I have received this week.

However, the CND and PRORES license is not working. I would appreeciate if you could assist and provide back to me the activation.

For your reference the. Case No is
CAS-1445408-N9X5N7
The old I2 serial number was 09YDE3UL040431
The new I2 serial number is 09YDE580041754

I have activated  this Inspire 2 today on my profile.
I need the raw and prores activated urgently.

Thank you
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules