2386 12 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silverhammer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

Hello everybody

I had a very stressfull moment today with my maciv pro. I was hovering over a street during the late evening and taking pictures from about 120 meter altitude and about 350 meter distance. I was testing the different camera settings so I took the same picture over and over again without moving when suddenly my phone went gray and said "disconnected". My remote still worked and I had line of sight, but It was a very unpleasant situation. Even restarting the App did not fix the problem. I had to land, turn of remote and drone amd restart.Then all went back to normal.

Does anyone know what causes this problem? In could cause me losing the drone!

I am a bit disappointed about the App crashing very often on my new HTC U11+... Is there anything I can do to make the app more stable?

Thanks for your help
Regards
2018-1-13
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Disable as much as possible on your phone before starting the the Go app.
2018-1-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The type of problem you described is most commonly caused by a bad USB cable; the ones supplied by DJI have a reputation for being unreliable.
2018-1-13
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Happened to me about 3 times in 25 flights. It is a stressfull situation, just get familiar with return to home functionality so you feel confident when happens the next time.

2018-1-13
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Yep. Happened to me a number of times with my Pixel 2 XL. Disconnected only means the phone has disconnected from the RC I think. The RC still has complete control of the drone and in fact you should be able to continue along quite well this way. You just don't get all the extra feedback.

I think there's another disconnected message (aircraft disconnected?) that's more concerning.

I purchased a cheap Huawei Ascend XT2 as a prepaid phone that I never activated. I removed the SIM card and any unnecessary software. I keep it in aircraft mode ensuring wifi is off when flying (just in case the 2.4 GHz wifi interferes with the 2.4 GHz RC signal - my own theory). So far, in a few good flights, I have not had a disconnect but I do need to test a lot more to regain my confidence.

The biggest thing I'm trying to teach myself is to not panic when things don't go as I expect. If it is safe I just stop where I'm at, think through the issue and if I can't figure it out then I just think about returning home or to the ground as safely as I can. The few times I had a panic response the result was less than optimal with one time leading to the destruction of a drone. That was my wakeup call. I try to avoid the "stop-drop-and-roll" advice and stick with the take a deep breath and relax advice. If the drone is hoving nicely then it is not an emergency, it's a situation. I'm still very new at all this but it's the plan I'm going with for now.

I'd like to suggest DJI come out with a complete RC unit for the MPP that doesn't rely on plugging in a phone or tablet. I guess that's what the ClearSky is supposed to be? I understand it has its own set of problems though. I believe DJI still has a lot of room to mature.
2018-1-13
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-13 17:28
Yep. Happened to me a number of times with my Pixel 2 XL. Disconnected only means the phone has disconnected from the RC I think. The RC still has complete control of the drone and in fact you should be able to continue along quite well this way. You just don't get all the extra feedback.

I think there's another disconnected message (aircraft disconnected?) that's more concerning.

I have a galaxy s8 and I had heard the USB cable problem as is mentioned here in this thread. Are you saying the cable that connects my s8 to the controller is not sufficient? If so, where can I get another one?
Thanks
Bob
2018-1-13
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Actually no. I don't know what causes the disconnect. It could be anything from the physical connection, to a misbehaving application (even unrelated to DJI GO 4), to RFI being picked up on the cable. I've seen some posts that the cables provided with the controller are pretty cheap. I haven't really had a problem with them except it is hard for me to make the connection to the phone and I always feel I'm wearing out the phone's connector. I have a few cables I plan to try using the RC's middle connector the next time I go out but I'm not using the Pixel any longer so that might not help here.

Where can you get another one? If you are connecting to the center connector of the RC I think it would be any quality USB-C to USB-A connector. I don't know what all this OTG stuff is about but the side connector is somehow treated a little differently I think so I don't know what kind of cable to suggest for a replacement there.

What causes the disconnect I'm not sure. There's probably more than one cause. How I respond to the disconnect is what I need to work on. Lot's of "practice makes perfect" and "read the manual twice" comments here but practically, it is hard to practice with a $1K+ sophisticated flying computer system that's moving at 25+ mph and 50+ feet in the air. Practice and experience means learning from mistakes and that can get pretty dang expensive pretty dang quick.

Better programming by DJI devs might help too.
2018-1-13
Use props
Silverhammer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

Thanks a lot for the replys so far. I'll try my drone again today and as mentioned by you get a bit mlre familiar with rc-only flying...

Hope Dji is working on those issues...
2018-1-14
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey be glad yours was close.

I was doing a distance run and got out 4500 feet stopped, turn the drone to face home, started coming and bam app crashed, and like you lost all image and wouldn't re-connect.... Now that's scary. lucky the RTH brought my Mavic back safe and sound
2018-1-14
Use props
fansfb1bf277
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104449 ft
Ukraine

latest versions of dji go are faulty so use version 4.1.14 or .15
2018-1-14
Use props
sica
Second Officer
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

They do not seem to be cable ... hardware problems! From the latest firmware and application updates, only problems that seem to come from physical defects are reported !!!! Does cable break after updating to firmware/application ?!?!?! ??!?!?
2018-1-14
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-13 20:17
Actually no. I don't know what causes the disconnect. It could be anything from the physical connection, to a misbehaving application (even unrelated to DJI GO 4), to RFI being picked up on the cable. I've seen some posts that the cables provided with the controller are pretty cheap. I haven't really had a problem with them except it is hard for me to make the connection to the phone and I always feel I'm wearing out the phone's connector. I have a few cables I plan to try using the RC's middle connector the next time I go out but I'm not using the Pixel any longer so that might not help here.

Where can you get another one? If you are connecting to the center connector of the RC I think it would be any quality USB-C to USB-A connector. I don't know what all this OTG stuff is about but the side connector is somehow treated a little differently I think so I don't know what kind of cable to suggest for a replacement there.

Hey thanks for the input. I found out the cable to use is the same cable used to charge the S8, so I already have it. A little long but I can tie it up out of the way. Will try tomorrow.

Bob
2018-1-14
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Try it with wifi off on your phone and if that doesn't work use 4.1.15.
2018-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules