Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gesture Control combined with Remote Control?
3813 9 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

I tried doing a search of Forum topics, but didn't see anything promising. I've watched the Gesture Mode tutorial, and while it said it was a good idea to have the remote or smart phone connected to the drone during Gesture Mode flying, what I was wondering is, can the Spark do a Gesture Mode or Remote Control mode take-off, flight, and then use Gesture Control for a palm landing? I may be flying off a dive boat in a few weeks, and am thinking of possible options for drone recovery.

Thanks.
2018-1-13
Use props
tonyyng
lvl.4

Canada

What I've done is assign "Takeoff/Landing" to the rear customizable button on the remote controller.

For takeoff, I hold the Spark in my left, the RC in my right and push the button with my right index finger.  The props start spinning and when I feel the Spark starting to pull, I release it.

When I want to land, I bring the Spark close to me;  about head height and within an arm's length away.  I push the button and I put my left hand under the Spark.  The Spark starts descending to my hand and I carefully grab it.  Don't put your hand under the Spark until after you push the button.  The bottom sensors will see your hand and the Spark will go up.

Be aware that the button only requires a quick press to initiate takeoff or landing;  whether you meant to press it or not.

I've posted a enhancement request to require a longer press to initiate:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline
2018-1-14
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

You can switch back and forth between gesture mode and normal mode (or any mode) any time you want.  I connect my spark and remote then double tap the Spark's button to get a gesture mode auto takeoff from my palm.  I switch to normal mode then fly the drone around getting award winning shots.  When I have enough to ensure my fame and fortune, I fly back, switch to gesture mode, and present my palm for the puppy to land in.  Done.  

Be aware that iPhonedo says the Spark is sporting crazy fast spinning breakfast knives.
2018-1-14
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

What gunship said

But I also will let it hover near me.  Then come from behind and grab it with my fingers and tip it upside down to shut the blades off.   Easier than using gesture control.   I find gesture control hit and miss anyway

If you are not careful with grabbing from underneath, the sensors will make it climb, so that’s why you come from behind.
2018-1-14
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Thanks for the suggestions. What I will do, is practice a bit with grab-landings before we make our trip, so that the first time I try it won't be on the boat. I don't plan on trying to fly from a moving boat, but it would be cool to get some shots from the dive sites while the boat is moored.
2018-1-14
Use props
Samuel Bona
Second Officer
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

Hoomi Posted at 2018-1-14 16:58
Thanks for the suggestions. What I will do, is practice a bit with grab-landings before we make our trip, so that the first time I try it won't be on the boat. I don't plan on trying to fly from a moving boat, but it would be cool to get some shots from the dive sites while the boat is moored.

I like how you can do the grab-landing. Do not forget to show us some photos/videos from your trip (diving)!
2018-1-14
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Thanks for the suggestions. What I will do, is practice a bit with grab-landings before we make our trip, so that the first time I try it won't be on the boat. I don't plan on trying to fly from a moving boat, but it would be cool to get some shots from the dive sites while the boat is moored.

Diving is good.  If the Spark lands in the water, you can dive down and get it.  Like the adult version of diving for coins in the swimming pool as a kid.
2018-1-14
Use props
Dataengine66
lvl.1
United States

If spark is in ActiveTrack, can it follow you in a boat going down a slow moving river? The Snake river in Idaho is pretty wide, and I'd love to have some fly fishing videos. But how would I bring it back?
2019-1-15
Use props
timtwomey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2164206 ft
United States

Dataengine66 Posted at 1-15 08:44
If spark is in ActiveTrack, can it follow you in a boat going down a slow moving river? The Snake river in Idaho is pretty wide, and I'd love to have some fly fishing videos. But how would I bring it back?

Not only does it work, but when you draw the green box around the boat, a little boat icon appears on the screen.  If you are moving, set the home point to dynamic.  That would get the Spark back to the general area, but you would not want to auto land.  You need to stop the boat if possible and very carefully land the Spark.  Do a YouTube search on "DJI Spark boat ActiveTrack" and you will see several good examples.  I got to try it on my boat a couple of times before the end of the season.  It was challenging, but definitely worth it. Can't wait to get more shots this summer.
2019-1-15
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

If you launch your drone from a boat be aware that if the remote disconnect, it will return home, and home might just be in the water! It's Ok as long as  you don't lose connection with the remote.
2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules