Phantom 4Pro Landed Halfway on a RTH flight
843 10 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3326f1de
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331893 ft
United States

My drone was on a mission and I received a message that the drone needs to return home due to the remaining battery level.  I accepted the message and the drone started to fly home.  Half way through the flight, I noticed the drone reversed path and started to go in the opposite direction of the home point.  (It should be noted that the RTH homeport was properly updated prior to take off).  In any event, the drone flew a few meters opposite of the home point, maybe less than 10 or 20 in the opposite direction and then it landed.  Fortunately, I was able to recover the drone using the find my drone feature in the DJI App.  There was no connection to the drone (battery had died by the time I got to it - about 1 mile away from home), however, the remote controller showed the last location where a signal was registered.  Since I record all my flights, I was able to view the footage of what took place when it tried to land itself (halfway on the RTH trip).  
Essentially, the drone hovered in place for several minutes over the landing area, as if it was waiting on a command from the controller, and then it landed in a slightly wooded area.  Fortunately, I did not see any noticeable damage to the drone.  My question, however, is why did the drone not finish the RTH fight?  According to the flight records, there was about 20% battery life when it decided to land (about 1 mile away from the home point).  Where can I attach the flight record to for your analysis?

2018-1-13
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I think the auto land feature activates at 20% but can be canceled if still connected to the remote, I may be wrong about that though....Without seeing any flight logs it sounds like you had a head wind on the way back that the drone does not factor in when the low battery RTH ativates. When planning long distance flights you need to take consideration of the wind whch direction it is and how strong it is.
2018-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As usual, the answer will be in the flight data.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides
2018-1-13
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-1-13 20:46
I think the auto land feature activates at 20% but can be canceled if still connected to the remote, I may be wrong about that though....Without seeing any flight logs it sounds like you had a head wind on the way back that the drone does not factor in when the low battery RTH ativates. When planning long distance flights you need to take consideration of the wind whch direction it is and how strong it is.

The out of the box auto-land preset is 10% and the out of the box low battery warning is preset at 30%
2018-1-13
Use props
fans3326f1de
lvl.1
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-1-13 20:46
I think the auto land feature activates at 20% but can be canceled if still connected to the remote, I may be wrong about that though....Without seeing any flight logs it sounds like you had a head wind on the way back that the drone does not factor in when the low battery RTH ativates. When planning long distance flights you need to take consideration of the wind whch direction it is and how strong it is.

got that, those are all good possibilities....i was flying back at 120 meters....there was a fair amount of wind....when I eventually found the drone and reviewed the video, i noticed that it hovered for over 3 minutes in someone's back yard then it eventually landed, probably due to the battery running out...when i noticed it was about to land, I tried to cancel that but it immediately said the RC was disconnected from the drone...
2018-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans3326f1de Posted at 2018-1-14 09:49
got that, those are all good possibilities....i was flying back at 120 meters....there was a fair amount of wind....when I eventually found the drone and reviewed the video, i noticed that it hovered for over 3 minutes in someone's back yard then it eventually landed, probably due to the battery running out...when i noticed it was about to land, I tried to cancel that but it immediately said the RC was disconnected from the drone...

Can you put up flight log as Labroids asked?
2018-1-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sounds like you might have unknowingly canceled RTH.  

Please see Post 3 and Post 6.

2018-1-14
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Normn8or Posted at 2018-1-13 22:53
The out of the box auto-land preset is 10% and the out of the box low battery warning is preset at 30%

Ahhh yes you are correct, at 20% it will pop up with the low battery RTH  message again, which you can still cancel out at that time.
2018-1-14
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your Phantom will land when  the battery level is at a low. Does to matter what the commends are. Low battery, down she goes.
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, it's lucky that the drone does not suffer too much damage. Is there any error message in APP and how about the performance? If yes, please kindly offer your DJI Account and sync the flight records, we'd like to look into.

2018-1-15
Use props
fans3326f1de
lvl.1
United States

yes, they were already synched....thx
2018-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules