Unexpected Disconnect due to DJI APP shutdown (Drone MIA)
1933 4 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans412230da
New
Flight distance : 36037 ft
Vietnam

Hi Guys, Unfortunately I'm writing in this forum after having lost my DJI Mavic Pro two nights ago. Now let me start by saying I have been flying drones for approx. 6 months and have loved it. I have an Instagram page (Letswandertheglobe) that will show that I have been taking videos and photos with Drones having started with a DJI Phantom standard as an entry drone and upgrade/graduated to the DJI Mavic Pro, as I loved how compact it was and I travel a lot so its convenient for that.  

Now two nights ago I went to take some night photos of Ho Chi Minh City which the exact same place I had been previously during the day a few weeks back. I launched the drone with no issues, RTH position confirmed and I was off taking some nice shots and Vids over the next 5 mins and then all of a sudden I was kicked out of the APP. I relaunched the APP and everything seemed fine then again I was kicked out but this time it was a complete disconnection with my drone. The App relaunched but unfortunately I could not reconnect with my DJI Mavic pro. I tried to RTH but as the control was not connected it obviously would not work. I went to the area where the Drone last was it was only about 300M from where I launched but I couldn't find it and was unable to reconnect. I followed the flight path looking up constantly and after 15mins I went back to where I launched it, hoping it may RTH after the battery got low I stayed there for another 20mins but the drone never returned and I'm completely devastated. I was not doing anything silly or crazy and I was in a very open area with no obstructions in my area. I was on the outside of the city looking in for the night time city scape shot.

I was using an Iphone 5S and all battery levels were good at the time of flying.

I have the flight logs and nothing is abnormal.

Now I'm wandering do you think I can make a claim with DJI or what do I do now? Is it just bad luck and these things happen or is there process of looking into abnormal random events as I would love to be able to make a claim or seek compensation. I'm still in shock that it happened, I cant believe that $1700 AUD can just disappear into thin air.

I would love to hear from you all because I really do have a case here of just random disconnection and fly away/MIA drone.

2018-1-14
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe dost the flight log here so others can review and assist with diagnosis.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry to read your post. If the drone is in the warranty period, please contact the support via support@dji.com and report the accident. Data analysis is recommended so that we can offer you the corresponding solutions.
2018-1-21
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If the home position was correctly set then the drone should have returned providing there were no obstacles in the way. The only things that could have prevented this is if you had set the drone to land rather than return in failsafe or if you had flown under something and when the drone attempted to climb to the set RTH height, it hit something.
There is a Find My Drone in the app which you could have used at the time to get a location but that is too late now.
Your only other option is to upload the flight log to help determine where it was last positioned.
2018-1-21
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272195 ft
United States

Hi there! Any updates on your case?
2018-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules