MavicPro return home function make it crash to trees
4904 20 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi there,
I was flying my Mavic Pro today. It was a low flight, about one meter and a half from the ground. Very slow. Battery level went red and the drone started returning home. I couldn't control it anymore. It went up very quickly. It didn't see the branches (without leaves) of a big tree, it hit those breaking two propellers and the drone instantly crashed to the ground.
Apart some scratches and the battery pulled off the only serious damage is one broken arm.
Now my question is: do you think it'll be cover by warranty?
I have a DJI care refresh.

Thank you,
Luis
2018-1-14
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

It will certainly qualify for Care Refresh (assuming you have an active Care Refresh plan). Start the process here: https://www.dji.com/service/repair
2018-1-14
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply.
I do have Care Refresh and feel pretty relax with it but I wanted to know this if might be cover by warranty as it happened because it hasn't detected the tree. Or if I'm responsible of flying with low battery with the return home feature.
2018-1-14
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

There are no upward obstruction sensors on the mavic.
2018-1-14
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please note the Pilot is responsible for the clearance of the drone at all times.
2018-1-14
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Lucas775.
So might be better idea to use Care Refresh Express and not even wait for the inspection.
2018-1-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Yes because technically the drone did everything correctly when battery gets low it will rise up and return to the home point the only time it will not rise up and just land is if you are very close to the home point you should have just put your settings to either hover or land ...can be found in settings. Did u try the pause button on remote ??? It works for me it will immediately stop the Drone doing from whatever it's about to do
2018-1-14
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

$gambino$ I wasn't fast enough to pause it unfortunately, it all happened very quickly.
2018-1-14
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

This does not sound like a warranty issue.
2018-1-14
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Luis_MavicPro Posted at 2018-1-14 10:55
$gambino$ I wasn't fast enough to pause it unfortunately, it all happened very quickly.

That's sad to read fella. Very sorry for your accident.  The RTH functions can really catch you out if you're not expecting them.  As mentioned, it actually did everything it's designed to do, so I would send it in, but you may want to try normal service first; remember you still have to pay for a replacement under Care Refresh, and the replacement may well be a refurbished one, not brand new  
A simple repair may be around the same price as your care refresh fee, and when I sent mone in (from the UK) it was checked out  3 days after posting, repaired in 2, then returned to me within 3 more days.  It was literally 8 days from posting to return, and that was standard warranty based repair, not care-refresh.

Have a watch of this video; it shows what happens as the battery runs down....
Cheers,
Ian

2018-1-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is pilot error I'm sorry to say. The drone performed exactly how it is suppose to in this situation given your feedback. The battery RTH sequence also has a ten second count down which you can cancel to stop the RTH procedure from even starting. The standard warranty only covers manufacturer defects and this isn't one. However, this should be covered under the care refresh plan if activated less than 12 months ago. Best to contact DJI support and raise a ticket to get it shipped back asap.
2018-1-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

As already stated, there is NO overhead obstacle avoidance.  Any time you fly under a canopy, you should set RTH to HOVER, not RTH, same for loss of signal.  Automatic RTH procedure is to first climb to RTH altitude (you set the value), then move to a point over home, then lower itself to home and shutdown.  If you are less than 20M away from home point, it will just land where it is.
2018-1-14
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2018-1-14 11:08
That's sad to read fella. Very sorry for your accident.  The RTH functions can really catch you out if you're not expecting them.  As mentioned, it actually did everything it's designed to do, so I would send it in, but you may want to try normal service first; remember you still have to pay for a replacement under Care Refresh, and the replacement may well be a refurbished one, not brand new  
A simple repair may be around the same price as your care refresh fee, and when I sent mone in (from the UK) it was checked out  3 days after posting, repaired in 2, then returned to me within 3 more days.  It was literally 8 days from posting to return, and that was standard warranty based repair, not care-refresh.

Thanks Ian. This is really helpful! I'm positively surprise for the eight days . I live in London so hopefully it'll follow your path.
Nice video. I have subscribed to your channel.
2018-1-14
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok I'm about to send request the service to DJI.
But this last message scared me bit

If the quote to repair my aircraft is to high can I choose to use my Care Refresh and pay just £79?

Thanks
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Luis_MavicPro Posted at 2018-1-14 13:53
Ok I'm about to send request the service to DJI.
But this last message scared me bit
[view_image]

Hi Luis, sorry to read about the crash accident.
Please send in the drone for data analysis and evaluation, then the invoice will be sent to you. If the repair expense is too high, please contact our support to use DJI Care Refresh, no worries.
2018-1-14
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-14 18:14
Please send in the drone for data analysis and evaluation, then the invoice will be sent to you. If the repair expense is too high, please contact our support to use DJI Care Refresh, no worries.

Thanks for clarifying this scenario Mindy; I was wondering myself!  

Cheers

Ian
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Wellsi Posted at 2018-1-14 23:25
Thanks for clarifying this scenario Mindy; I was wondering myself!  

Cheers

You are welcome Ian.
2018-1-15
Use props
Luis_MavicPro
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-14 18:14

Thanks for your reply Mindy. I have sent my request. Now waiting for the return label so I can send my drone.

Luis
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Luis_MavicPro Posted at 2018-1-15 04:58
Thanks for your reply Mindy. I have sent my request. Now waiting for the return label so I can send my drone.

Luis

Hope everything goes smoothly and you will get it back soon.
Please post the case number here if you need any further assistance, we will do our best to assist.
2018-1-16
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-1-14 11:08
That's sad to read fella. Very sorry for your accident.  The RTH functions can really catch you out if you're not expecting them.  As mentioned, it actually did everything it's designed to do, so I would send it in, but you may want to try normal service first; remember you still have to pay for a replacement under Care Refresh, and the replacement may well be a refurbished one, not brand new  

Great video!
2018-1-16
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.3
United States

This is the sort of case for which the Return to Home settings exist. In the future, turn off the battery/lost controller RTH before going off trees. Then, whenever you stop flying in that area, make sure to turn them back on. This is how you keep from having to worry about the RTH being a suicide feature.
2018-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules