(Germany Cinematic) Could you please critique this footage?
646 11 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa8783a3e
lvl.1
United States

Shot on DJI Mavic Pro
2018-1-14
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

I couldn't and wouldn't critique your work as I just don't have the technical knowledge to understand what a good edit looks like. I enjoyed your video.

For some reason, abandoned industrial structures from farms, through railroads to the rusted structure in your video really attracts my attention. I would liked to have seen more of that. I'm not sure if it's because these subjects show how nature always wins or if they are just reminders that the almost all plans and successes always have a time limit. I always think about what  must have gone through the mind of the last person out the door and turning off the lights.

Probably not what you were thinking when you asked for a critique. Just wanted to say thanks.
2018-1-14
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

OK, it was a very scenic area and you did a great job of showing it to us.  For critique, I'd offer the following thoughts that I had while watching:
1.  Your yaw is too fast.  When you film while rotating the quad, things zoomed by.  There's a couple of things you can do.  In settings, you can dampen how fast that goes.  Or, you can use either Cinematic or Tripod mode to slow movements down.  Or, lastly, you can plant the finger of one hand at the base of the control stick to limit how far that stick can be pushed.
2.  Transitions:  I used to use them between all my clips, like you did.  Then I read a book by a professional videographer who really preached against them.  He wrote, "You rarely see them in professional films or videos".  He recommended them at perhaps the beginning or end, or when there were major changes in time or location.  Other than that, your viewers' minds will easily handle a clip change with no transition.  Try it.  I have and I like my videos better without them in most places.
3.  I viewed your video full screen on my 28 inch monitor.  There was quite a bit of jerkiness in a few places.  I'm guessing that it was due to a very low fps rate?  Were you at 24 fps?
4.  Finally, one just for laughs:  I saw in one scene near the end that you were panning from right to left.  Only problem was that the cars in the street below were going backwards.  
2018-1-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-14 10:16
OK, it was a very scenic area and you did a great job of showing it to us.  For critique, I'd offer the following thoughts that I had while watching:
1.  Your yaw is too fast.  When you film while rotating the quad, things zoomed by.  There's a couple of things you can do.  In settings, you can dampen how fast that goes.  Or, you can use either Cinematic or Tripod mode to slow movements down.  Or, lastly, you can plant the finger of one hand at the base of the control stick to limit how far that stick can be pushed.
2.  Transitions:  I used to use them between all my clips, like you did.  Then I read a book by a professional videographer who really preached against them.  He wrote, "You rarely see them in professional films or videos".  He recommended them at perhaps the beginning or end, or when there were major changes in time or location.  Other than that, your viewers' minds will easily handle a clip change with no transition.  Try it.  I have and I like my videos better without them in most places.

Excellent, constructive feedback. I set my EXP rudder from .25 to .20 and yaw movement limit to 50 - it's made a big difference to the clarity of the images when I yaw the drone.
2018-1-14
Use props
fansa8783a3e
lvl.1
United States

1.  Your yaw is too fast.  When you film while rotating the quad, things zoomed by.  There's a couple of things you can do.  In settings, you can dampen how fast that goes.  Or, you can use either Cinematic or Tripod mode to slow movements down.  Or, lastly, you can plant the finger of one hand at the base of the control stick to limit how far that stick can be pushed.

Thanks for the feedback!
2018-1-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

nice video - i liked the content and the music - i cant add to the constructive critiques already posted - my contribution would be 1. get nd filters 2. try a higher resolution (2.7k) - in that order for the reason that w/o nd filters shooting 2.7k only offer 24 and 30fps which is not sufficient when doubled to 50 or 60 fps does not do enough for overexposure
2018-1-14
Use props
marcrcdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 97644 ft
Brazil

Good vid and edition!!
2018-1-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think StanfordWebbie gave you some good tips. The only thing I can add to that is to make sure your horizon is always level and correct it when necessary.
2018-1-14
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Agree +
I personally do not like 90 degrees down shots especially when drone is moving - 60 Mb is not enough for 4K and constant changes in pictures - so it got jerky (same for rotations covered above )
Colors are a bit dull - try to push saturation a bit might help.
I personally find those episodes with no action longer than 4 seconds get annoying and observer tend to skip them or entire clip.
Good job, keep practicing!
Do not get my words as criticism, I am not qualified enough to do that, just personal opinion which might be also wrong
2018-1-15
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

I am having trouble trying to get smooth yawing I think you need to move the stick slower but it is difficult when looking at the image on an iPhone screen, that may stop the jerkiness. Also it looks out of focus a lot of the time but maybe that's my monitor.

What settings were you using?
2018-1-15
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I didn't like some of the movement. Also you should check exposure, I've the impression that you were on auto, as it seems the ISO is higher than it should be (which in the mavic gets too noisy) If you graded, the colors look a bit weird (although the screen I'm using right now is not calibrated so I couldn't tell 100%) For max dynamic range I'd recommend D-Log (1,-1,-1). For me Vivid (1,-1,-1) works quite well when I don't want to go into edit (In fact the Dynamic Range seems better than in D-Cinelike)

Careful with the polizei and the DFS, some of your flight might be off rules ;)
2018-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great subject.!
My remarks:
Some pans are too fast.
It looks like the resolution is lower than I am used to here.
Some shots were experiencing some kind of stuttering. Not sure what that caused, but maybe the same that caused my second remark.
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules