Compass issue - Yaw error
1622 12 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kalkinas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39770 ft
Lithuania

Hey i read topics about compass issue, but did see any direct answers about his. I got the log of my phone : http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZJ4YVCCJUUYOU2XAFRL2/
Yesterday i tried to fly a drone i urban area and compass was reading error message so i thought it may be because of many interferances around as its highly populated area.

Today i took my drone to the area i flew before without any issues. Drone was in visual distance away and same error came up but i was fairly stable. I landed the drone, restarted it and it was fine. Then i hovered a bit and started to go up. It was directly above me and then i remember when it started to go full speed to one of the sides with no control and crashed into the trees. Logview shows that the first error was "yaw error". I really can not remember seeing this on screen, but when compass error appeared its started to become uncontroled. I managed to find my drone. 3 propellers gone off and lost them, 1/4 light covers lost, body cracked. Seems to be working still, but i am quite scared to fly it again as not sure why this happened.

2018-1-14
Use props
Kalkinas
lvl.1
Lithuania

DID NOT SEE DIRECT ANSWERS. Can figure out how to edit my post
2018-1-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Just one first observation is that you have taken off with low satellite link. If this has been the key factor of the error messages emerging later, others here are better placed/more experienced to tell you. But I am glad to read that you found it at least! Do you have care refresh?
2018-1-14
Use props
Kalkinas
lvl.1
Lithuania

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-14 14:00
Just one first observation is that you have taken off with low satellite link. If this has been the key factor of the error messages emerging later, others here are better placed/more experienced to tell you. But I am glad to read that you found it at least! Do you have care refresh?

I take off with low satellites quite often but all i do is hover in place close my me until i get GPS lock. I dont have care refresh.
2018-1-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Kalkinas Posted at 2018-1-14 14:09
I take off with low satellites quite often but all i do is hover in place close my me until i get GPS lock. I dont have care refresh.

Ok, I hope more experienced pilots here can tell you more.
2018-1-14
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

How does the yaw error affect the drone
2018-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When did you last calibrate compass?

Looking at your flight log, you had very bad gps signal and got yaw error early on in your flight.

I’m beginning to think initial yaw error is probably misnamed, and is due to a very poor GPS lock leading to inconsistent position and speed data .
We have seen a number of cases lately and some people are saying yaw issues are due to sport mode excessive speed and erratic turning of aircraft, yet when you take a look at the logs yours included speed is not the problem because at the time of yaw errors speed has not been excessive.
So if we look at yaw errors what’s happening, Aircraft is trying to yaw in a different direction than controller is commanding so reporting yaw error, so why is it happening I now think it has something to do with insufficient gps lock .
I also think you may have had a bad compass caused by taking off from what looks like a concrete path or close to some metal objects. Or through a recent calibration.
We also have seen a lot of cases where gps lock when flying close to trees or low above forests has been low trees are not a great place for receiving both gps and radio signals.

If you could let us know regarding launching ground and if compass was calibrated would be useful.
2018-1-14
Use props
Kalkinas
lvl.1
Lithuania

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-14 15:50
When did you last calibrate compass?

Looking at your flight log, you had very bad gps signal and got yaw error early on in your flight.

I did a Compass calibration a while ago. Maybe 20 flights ago. I am not aware i have to do it often (do i?).
Both sites (urban area and crash site) had paved surface - a road going along the river. There also were electric cables on poles that now i think might be a cause of that.
How many satellites are considered to be good?
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Kalkinas Posted at 2018-1-15 01:22
I did a Compass calibration a while ago. Maybe 20 flights ago. I am not aware i have to do it often (do i?).
Both sites (urban area and crash site) had paved surface - a road going along the river. There also were electric cables on poles that now i think might be a cause of that.

Kalkinas, since it crashed on the trees, did it work well? If you continue to get the "yaw error" message from the app. I would recommend you send it back for repair: http://www.dji.com/support .
2018-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kalkinas Posted at 2018-1-15 01:22
Both sites (urban area and crash site) had paved surface - a road going along the river. There also were electric cables on poles that now i think might be a cause of that.

Taking off from concrete surfaces can have an effect on your compass a lot of paved concrete paths are reinforced with metal and can be a cause of magnetic interference in your compass, regarding calibration I asked for simple reason if you calibrated in the same area as you were flying.
2018-1-15
Use props
Raimenzio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237057 ft
Lithuania

Užuojauta.
Sorry to see another drone crashed due some error. First thing that i noticed, you took off in forest area, where hard to keep an eye on the drone, thing i wouldn't do since i discovered this forum Anyways can you tell me where the crash happened in the log, since in the end height is still 130feet, or it was stuck in the tree?
Another thing is what hallmark007 asking, in what area you did compass calibration? You have to be miles away from civilization, away from any interference to do that proper way, and do the calibration with smooooth movements. Now DJI states that calibration should be performed when app asks you to do it. As for me i did the calibration when i got compass errors as you did. One thing I noticed and other users also that compass error pops up, when you engage sports mode and fly a little aggressive way, with sharp turns or so. I begin to thing that cold weather also has some impact on it, but that just my opinion.
Hope DJI will take care of your spark properly!
2018-1-15
Use props
Kalkinas
lvl.1
Lithuania

I did compass calibration in area with the houses around. But if app showed calibration to be succesfull and i flew my drone many times with no issues at all. Why would the primary compass calibration area may affect my last flight if it was fine for 20+ flights? I dont think it is valid at all.  In Lithuania roads are paved with no metal structures - 100% sure.
New update. Tried to launch my drone today. When on it was flickerring Gps ready to compass error. Recalibrated compass but did not take off.  It starts taking off but stops  and says to check IMU.
New view log not available for some reason
2018-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kalkinas Posted at 2018-1-15 05:26
I did compass calibration in area with the houses around. But if app showed calibration to be succesfull and i flew my drone many times with no issues at all. Why would the primary compass calibration area may affect my last flight if it was fine for 20+ flights? I dont think it is valid at all.  In Lithuania roads are paved with no metal structures - 100% sure.
New update. Tried to launch my drone today. When on it was flickerring Gps ready to compass error. Recalibrated compass but did not take off.  It starts taking off but stops  and says to check IMU.
New view log not available for some reason

I didn’t say it was primary cause for your crash or compass problem, but according to your log you had compass interference , what caused this is what I was trying to find out, you also had yaw issues and weak gps.
We also know many concrete paths have for example metal pipes power cables running below them ,

Regarding satellites, you need a minimum of 6 satellites to fly, while you see 9/10 sats your spark has two sources of getting satellites glonass and gps so if your app shows 10 satellites you may only have 5 of each so minimum is 11 this guarantees at least 6 of one type, but if you drop one you are going to have weak gps,
Gps can be blocked out in forest areas and we all have to be careful about flying in such areas, I now am thinking that cause of yaw errors may have come because of weak gps as I explained above.

I think you should do an IMU calibration and compass calibration in an area free of metal objects no RC no Jewellery etc, and see how Aircraft is after this.
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules