Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Proposals to DJI - Software Reliability in the Inspire 2
916 5 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

My objective in starting this thread is to ask DJI to improve the software / firmware release process by attending to matters of quality and reliability that may pose a safety risk for commercial users.  I start by quoting DJI's promotional statement about reliability of the Inspire 2 ...

"DJI takes some pride (and rightly so) in pointing out how it ensures that it doubles up on key electronic components – dual redundancy – which increases the odds of a safe flight in the unlikely but possible event one of those key components fails. This dual redundancy is extended to the Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), barometer and Compass. Because the Inspire 2 also runs with two batteries, if something messes up with one, you should still be able to get it safely to the ground."

The problem commercial operators face is that the firmware on the Inspire 2 that controls these "doubled up" hardware components remains "a single point of failure".  If there is a critical bug in the software then any or all of the "dual redundancy" hardware items will fail.  Therefore we professional / commercial users suggest in the strongest possible terms that DJI take extraordinary care when firmware updates are released.  There are minimum standards of care in releasing software that DJI should be taking (but are not taking currently).  There should be:

• a thorough period of pre-release testing and certification, with test results and release notes being published prior to new firmware releases.
  • a comprehensive "firmware" oriented web site, listing all firmware versions, test results, release notes.
  • a capability for users to select the exact firmware release versions they wish to use in their drones.
  • a comprehensive "bug reporting" capability on this web site, so that bugs may be reported by users, tracked by DJI, and made visible to all users.
  • a capability for users to "upvote" any bugs on the web site that are believed to be safety critical.
  • a guarantee from DJI that safety critical bugs will be resolved within say 30 days of being "voted on as safety critical" by commercial users in the forum.

We would all be disappointed if the Civil Aviation authorities have to pass legislation on the "software reliability" aspects of drones, before such action is taken.

If you are a commercial user of the Inspire 2, what is your view about these proposals?

2018-1-15
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

An extract from "The Guardian" newspaper in the UK, published 2nd April 2014:

<<Robert Knowles, 46, of Barrow-in-Furness, was fined £800 and ordered to pay costs of £3,500 at the Furness and District Magistrate court on Tuesday after being prosecuted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). ... He pleaded guilty to flying a small unmanned surveillance aircraft within 50 metres of a structure – the Jubilee Bridge on the Walney channel – and flying over a nuclear installation, the BAE System submarine-testing facility.  "The radio failed and it flew away down the Walney channel," Knowles told the Guardian. "I couldn't have controlled it. I don't know why the radio failed. It landed in the sea channel, and the salt water ruined it.">>

This was a kit-built drone, it was not a DJI helicopter.  But there are several cases of "fly away" DJI Inspire 2 drones reported on this web site ... how many of these are related to software / firmware issues?
2018-1-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Oh, you funny! Transfer all these evidently obvious requirements into PR of China reality, consider our growing dependency on China, consider our impotency for developing anything even remotely as advanced, and you'll realize how naive you're, my friend. This is a monopoly at it's best ...
2018-1-15
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-15 23:57
Oh, you funny! Transfer all these evidently obvious requirements into PR of China reality, consider our growing dependency on China, consider our impotency for developing anything even remotely as advanced, and you'll realize how naive you're, my friend. This is a monopoly at it's best ...

Matthew,

There was no call to be sarcastic, nor to generalise your comments thereby to slur other countries.

I agree that Chinese companies such as DJI, Yuneec and Walkera currently lead the world in manufacture of small helicopter drones / aerial camera systems for non-military use.   However China did not invent this technology and the following key technologies and systems are required for e.g the DJI Inspire 2 to fly in P-mode.

The USA developed and launched the GPS satellite system in 1973, and Russia completed GLONASS in 1995.  MEMS-based miniature IMU's (Gyroscopes) were developed and patented by companies such as Panasonic (Japan), Bosch (Germany), Seiko Epson (Japan), Sensonor (Norway), STMicroelectronics (France), Freescale (USA) / NXP (Netherlands) , and Analog Devices (USA).  The 6-axis MEMS gyros used in DJI drones are made under license from more than one of these companies.

UAV's were developed and brought into service by at least USA, Germany, UK, France, and Russia in the 1970's and 1980's.  There has been hobbyist development of UAV's in these countries since the 1970's.  

Samsung (South Korea) has the potential to overtake DJI and other Chinese companies in manufacturing and creating software systems for drones in the near future.  Samsung's capability and professionalism in software engineering currently exceeds that of DJI.   And I've also worked on software development for real-time safety critical systems.

If the list of requirements / suggestions is evidently self-obvious, then why is this not evidently self-obvious to DJI?  My hope in starting this thread was to encourage DJI to maintain their lead by improving the quality and reliability of the firmware releases.  Is this not a goal that you and other users of this forum share?
2018-1-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-16 09:10
Matthew,

There was no call to be sarcastic, nor to generalise your comments thereby to slur other countries.

RobAlbania, you've missed my point big time! It was absolutely not my intention to be sarcastic, although I'm good on it as well ... I see nothing controversial - racial or nationalistic - in my comment either. In fact I consider Asians - Chinese in particular - as the smartest race on this planet. They're taking full advantage of our self-inflicted ignorance on this suicidal path to economical disaster. And why not? They're hard-working, well educated and disciplined. Yes, the foundation of technology was developed here decades ago ... Unfortunately - while Silicon Valley rich geeks and nerds start buying cocaine by truck-loads - Asians quietly start building devices and machines with this technology. While entire Western civilization successfully exported labor and technology to Asia, perfected the art of burger-flipping and realized the persistence of obesity, Asians were building. Today we're eagerly waiting for marijuana legalization country-wide, but can't figure how to build better drones, sell them, provide this good ol' customer service after, and make a billion dollar profit. Chinese can, and as long as there will be a line-up for their merchandise, they'll dictate the rules. Simply like that ...

Therefore, my friend, no matter how true and obvious your postulates are, no matter how loudly you and we will demand legal actions and fair treatment, nothing will change. Because they're the best and they have a monopoly, by volume at least. More importantly, they're there and we're here. Far away, in different environments and culture. DJI has a long history of troubled aftersale service and tech support. Oh, they're listening for sure, they're not stupid. They're trying, no doubt. Again, not much will change for better until an equally potent brand miraculously arise from ashes in Western hemisphere. Unlikely, however, considering the state of global economy.  

And that's the explanation of my somehow limited enthusiasm after reading your post. That's why I'm skeptical. Keep your voice loud anyway, ignore my cynicism, please. Perhaps, someday, sooner or later they will have to listen harder...
2018-1-16
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

Matthew, thanks for your reply, it is a good follow up.  Sorry I was a bit edgy earlier, but everything is OK now!
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules