DJI ADMINS - Eight Weeks SInce OTG was 'lost' - Any update?
12Next >
2271 42 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Dear DJI Admins,

It has been 8 weeks since you 'accidentally' broke the unsupported but reliable, stable, secure, trusted OTG functionality, and imposed the supported but (for me and many others) unreliable, unstable WiFi connection from the RC to the Android device.

Despite the many instances of you telling us in these forums that the engineers are working on it, it is still not corrected in the App and you haven't published a fix date either.
Please can you give me an update on this as I do not want to permamantly fly my Spark in an old, hacked Go 4 App.

Alternatively, if you do not intend to fix it, please tell me, as I won't need to to keep nagging.

Thank you.

2018-1-15
Use props
heightoffield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2670423 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

yep, this would be great to know. I'm flying on the official .15 go, because the .18 and .22 just forces the AC mid flight to change to CE mode
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

I'll save you all the trouble.

The conversation goes something like this...DJI, you broke my  broke my OTG connection wah wah wah".

DJI responds with, Sorry, OTG is not supported,  our engineers are working on it.

When will you all realise that OTG for the Spark is not yet supported?  If you find this difficult to comprehend, then perhaps you would be better purchasing an toy RC car with training wheels until you develop the mental capacity to understand this simple concept?

Too harsh perhaps?  Tough!!!  perhaps you, and the countless others whining about OTG functionality could try reading the 1000's of similar related OTG posts and save the rest of us some time trawling through the inane chatter pleading for OTG to be introduced/re-established.

Read the specs/reviews first before buying the Spark instead of buying it then throwing your toys out of the pram because it doesn't have a function you deem necessary.

Simply put, if you absolutely need OTG connectivity, then go elsewhere until it is supported.
Let the rest of us enjoy the Spark without constant reminders from people who obviously haven't bothered reading up on the device.
2018-1-15
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vulcan-XH558 Posted at 2018-1-15 14:00

The conversation goes something like this...DJI, you broke my  broke my OTG connection wah wah wah".

I think that baby photo is awesome!
2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great photo hahahaha
2018-1-15
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 453701 ft
Fiji

this thread will likely go the "ignore section" in the admin's inbox.
2018-1-15
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

IT’s a reasonable question

We all know it’s unsupported...we all have taken that risk

However we also knew it worked and worked well.  (I had regular issues with video transmission).

For an unknown reason, and what appears to be accidental, it was disabled.  DJI have said it will be fixed in another version

So what is wrong with asking for an update for something that used to work and they said they will fix ?

I think the baby photo you posted (which is awesome by the way), looks more like you than t he OP.   Lol
2018-1-15
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

You're weren't too harsh, just predictable and clichéd.

You can enjoy your Spark madam, I am glad many people can enjoy theirs....however, I can't enjoy mine properly since the 'fix' and I want this subject maintained in these forums until DJI respond, then I can choose what I want to do with my Spark.
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mildman Posted at 2018-1-15 14:45
You're weren't too harsh, just predictable and clichéd.

You can enjoy your Spark madam, I am glad many people can enjoy theirs....however, I can't enjoy mine properly since the 'fix' and I want this subject maintained in these forums until DJI respond, then I can choose what I want to do with my Spark.

Predictable is knowing that there will be another OTG complaint thread coming along very soon.

Clichéd?   Again, you hit the nail on the head.

clichéd
ˈkliːʃeɪd/
adjective

• showing a lack of originality; based on frequently repeated phrases or opinions. (Similar to all those whiney OTG posts)

Madam...really?  Please accept my apologies if English is not your first language, however it is generally deemed inappropriate when posting on a public forum to label people according to gender.  I realise that this may be confusing and rather difficult to comprehend for some, however gender/sexuality is not generally open for discussion or debate and has no part whatsoever in this hobby.  Incidentally, your assumption that my gender (or perhaps profession) of Madam/Madame is very much incorrect.  Alternatively, if your calling me Madam was meant as an insult, kindly do one

Anyway, back to the subject...If you "cannot enjoy your Spark", despite knowing that the OTG function WAS NOT and IS NOT currently supported, then perhaps you should sell up or store it away until such times as the OTG function IS supported.  I would thoroughly recommend taking up a less stressfull hobby such as crochet/knitting/macrame etc.

You cannot buy a product and seriously expect the software developers/manufacturers etc to bend over backwards to rush release a "fix" for an option which has never been advertised or supported for the Spark.  I would hope that any solution DJI eventually roll out has been thoroughly tested across as many platforms as possible (the few IOS and the multitude of Android devices), and deemed to be 100% safe and reliable, otherwise I would prefer that DJI keep this option unavailable.

Do people really think that DJI are unaware of the OTG issue?  I'm sure the techs will roll out a fix shortly.
Think of it guys, the techs have to ensure that the aircraft behaves in a safe, controlled, and secure manner.  Why on earth would they jeopardise the safety of their drones and the reputation of DJI due to the impationce of a few users with no other qualifications that a couple of working thumbs?

2018-1-15
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Vulcan-XH558 Posted at 2018-1-15 16:43
Predictable is knowing that there will be another OTG complaint thread coming along very soon.

Clichéd?   Again, you hit the nail on the head.

Everyone loves a pendantic a-hole - if a thread has no interest to you skip it - why waste your time and everyone else's with meaningless replies and thread subversion that add nothing.

Many spark users are interested in otg functionality returning to the spark - it's hard to believe but your opinion is not the only one out there!

I also am.interested in when this functionality will return and look forward to hearing from DJI about this.
2018-1-15
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Vulcan,
The question to DJI is valid. Wifi does not work as expected. Lag, jittery video etc. Basic problems. At least on Android.

We should not get complacent about lack of quality. We paid money expecting performance. It is not there. DJI should, at least out of professional courtesy, keep us better informed.

Keeping up pressure on DJI can only help. Otherwise we will be ignored.

DJI - when will you fix wifi issues or, alternately, support OTG so we can fully enjoy your product?
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-1-15 16:58
Vulcan,
The question to DJI is valid. Wifi does not work as expected. Lag, jittery video etc. Basic problems. At least on Android.

Yes Mirek6, I agree that the question is valid, however how many separate posts do we need enquiring about OTG?

I joined this forum at the end of last year, and it seems that other post is about the lack of OTG support.  How difficult is is for people to use the search function and tag along to existing posts?

To be perfectly honest, I'm more than a little concerned that a high proportion of Drone pilots are allowed to operate a potentially dangerous piece of kit, but  lack the ability to use the search function within a forum.

Do we really need all of these OTG related threads though?
2018-1-15
Use props
BumbleBee45
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3960 ft
United States

Posting about this over and over again is not going to speed anything up. It will happen when it happens.
2018-1-15
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

Well we did need another OTG post, one just can't get enough of those.......................
2018-1-15
Use props
Rbstansbury
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7579 ft
United States

BumbleBee45 Posted at 2018-1-15 17:28
Posting about this over and over again is not going to speed anything up. It will happen when it happens.

I don’t think the intent of post was to speed anything up it was to get some answers good or bad what’s wrong with communication from DJI, if they would say not happening period well then we know and the posts will stop. Saying nothing except canned answer from admins does nothing and actually adds fuel to the fire.  Myself I use WiFi with iOS and don’t even own an otg cable but feel for all the users having issues
2018-1-15
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Vulcan,
We need as many OTG posts as I feel appropriate...  I've searched and read all of them, on here and other forums too. If one drops off the front page, I'll raise another.
I've raised formal support cases too I get a stock answer.
I don't want to sell my Spark, I want it to work, but it's practically useless in its stock settings.

There are numerous identical and regular flyaway posts too, all can be dealt with a support call, not through forums, are you implying we don't need any more of those??
I feel for the owners, I don't want them to stop posting.

I'm here to try and get my issue resolved.
If you want these forums for another purpose, fine, but don't interrupt mine,  or redicule unhappy  owners, for your little bit of daily attention.
2018-1-16
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-15 16:54
Everyone loves a pendantic a-hole - if a thread has no interest to you skip it - why waste your time and everyone else's with meaningless replies and thread subversion that add nothing.

Many spark users are interested in otg functionality returning to the spark - it's hard to believe but your opinion is not the only one out there!

You must be extremely popular.

2018-1-16
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

I don't believe we will get OTG fixed in a next month or so. Reason is probably Mavic Air.... Seems like Spark was done so well it killed market for anything around it so now there is a process of creating market for other birds pending. Once situation settles we might get OTG support back... but my speculation is it won't happen anytime soon.
2018-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mildman Posted at 2018-1-16 00:23
Vulcan,
We need as many OTG posts as I feel appropriate...  I've searched and read all of them, on here and other forums too. If one drops off the front page, I'll raise another.
I've raised formal support cases too I get a stock answer.

To keep the issue alive , why don't you post to the existing threads instead of creating another new one, if you reply to one of the moderators posts on the issue they will definitely see your request.

Don't worry, when they release the Mavic Air soon, you'll be wanting to get rid of your Spark anyway, I suspect it will have Ocusync and OTG, so it will meet all of your requirements
Come to think about it you should be waving your Spark goodbye while there is still some secondhand value
2018-1-16
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 2018-1-16 00:52
To keep the issue alive , why don't you post to the existing threads instead of creating another new one, if you reply to one of the moderators posts on the issue they will definitely see your request.

Don't worry, when they release the Mavic Air soon, you'll be wanting to get rid of your Spark anyway, I suspect it will have Ocusync and OTG, so it will meet all of your requirements

eYeSkYeYe/Inannes....  ...thanks for your comments, they make sense.

Completely agree with the point about Spark killing everything around it (Well, not my Spark, but others lol)

It'll be interesting to see what DJI develops next for 'hobbyists'.  My original plan was clear; as a long time RC hobby person (with gliders, planes, airboats, including DIY stuff, for aerial and underwater videography) and after reading the great reviews for the Spark, I thought now was the time to dip my toe in the drone pond to learn...I envisaged quickly moving on to the Mavic Pro...
I have no plans to by from DJI again, it's not been fun owning the SPark so far, but i hope it improves.

On the 2nd hand value point...the thing is, I don't really want to sell it, I actually want to like it, I just don't want to have to used hacked apps to get the advertised performance from it.
2018-1-16
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Yeah and that most people use the hacked 4.1.15 mod version
2018-1-16
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Mildman Posted at 2018-1-16 03:40
eYeSkYeYe/Inannes....  ...thanks for your comments, they make sense.

Completely agree with the point about Spark killing everything around it (Well, not my Spark, but others lol)

Same here. I wanted to buy a Spark first to learn how to fly a drone and move to a Mavic later. The longer it takes to fix the broken OTG connection, the less I believe in their software development abilities and although the hardware is really amazing, I certainly won't buy anything else till my faith in them is restored.
2018-1-16
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Personally, never had issues with the Spark. It meets and actually EXCEEDS all the advertised features. But, I do use pimped 4.1.15. I was also lucky enough to be warned by some more experienced DJI customers not to take DJI refresh but third party insurance that covers everything, no questions asked, as long as I can retrieve the AC. In retrospective, I now see how genius marketing idea is to offer Dji Refresh for only 48 hrs after activating the craft.
2018-1-16
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Vulcan-XH558 Posted at 2018-1-15 17:12
Yes Mirek6, I agree that the question is valid, however how many separate posts do we need enquiring about OTG?

I joined this forum at the end of last year, and it seems that other post is about the lack of OTG support.  How difficult is is for people to use the search function and tag along to existing posts?

It is not up to you, to decides who or what posts are valid - please stop trolling - if you think a post is inappropriate report it - whom appointed you forum police

It is a valid question ‘when’ ?
2018-1-16
Use props
DatMeister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2454 ft
United States

I think its a valid question because DJI says they are working on the OTG  capability for the Spark. Its not as if they plain out said no to OTG then the OP asks the question.
2018-1-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-16 00:47
I don't believe we will get OTG fixed in a next month or so. Reason is probably Mavic Air.... Seems like Spark was done so well it killed market for anything around it so now there is a process of creating market for other birds pending. Once situation settles we might get OTG support back... but my speculation is it won't happen anytime soon.

2018-1-16
Use props
BSIBrian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31368 ft
United States

Except, I can buy the CrystalSky for the Spark, sold by DJI. Great. I add it to my cart. I get a notice that a $79 bracket is required to connect it to the Spark. Great. I add it to the cart. But on the bracket page I get a notice that: A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.

And after that a second notice:
A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon.

I wonder how long this "coming soon" message has been showing?

My shopping cart is loaded but I'm not buying something that won't work. How can they even attempt to sell it when they know it won't work.

I'd say it is reasonable to push for a time frame and not be considered a cry baby.
2018-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BSIBrian Posted at 2018-1-17 12:50
Except, I can buy the CrystalSky for the Spark, sold by DJI. Great. I add it to my cart. I get a notice that a $79 bracket is required to connect it to the Spark. Great. I add it to the cart. But on the bracket page I get a notice that: A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.

It does work many are using it quite happily, just using WiFi , but we are still waiting on cable to be supported.
2018-1-17
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

DatMeister Posted at 2018-1-16 08:32
I think its a valid question because DJI says they are working on the OTG  capability for the Spark. Its not as if they plain out said no to OTG then the OP asks the question.

I heard they (DJI) stopped working on the OTG so people buy their soon to be released (1/23) drone.
2018-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-17 12:55
I heard they (DJI) stopped working on the OTG so people buy their soon to be released (1/23) drone.

That’s great no more of these threads. Lol
2018-1-17
Use props
BSIBrian
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-17 12:54
It does work many are using it quite happily, just using WiFi , but we are still waiting on cable to be supported.

Well, from what DJI is saying it seems you are lucky it works. They say (not me) that the OTG cable is required. If the WiFi stops working (like apparently the OTG cable did) they can tell users that it was never supported -- that they had specified from day 1 that an OTG cable was required. Kind of like the reverse of where users are now.
2018-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BSIBrian Posted at 2018-1-17 13:27
Well, from what DJI is saying it seems you are lucky it works. They say (not me) that the OTG cable is required. If the WiFi stops working (like apparently the OTG cable did) they can tell users that it was never supported -- that they had specified from day 1 that an OTG cable was required. Kind of like the reverse of where users are now.

Not true, Moderators are here every other day telling users to use CS  with WiFi.
2018-1-17
Use props
BSIBrian
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-17 13:33
Not true, Moderators are here every other day telling users to use CS  with WiFi.

I didn't make this stuff up. It says on their site, their store where they sell the product that an OTG cable is required to  connect the CrystalSky to the remote control. I copied and pasted from the product page. So I suppose you could use the CS with your phone and WiFi, just no RC. That may not be how it works -- but that is their stance on how it works right from the time you buy it.

And what are you arguing for? The sake of it? I am pushing for the OTG cable.
2018-1-17
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BSIBrian Posted at 2018-1-17 13:43
I didn't make this stuff up. It says on their site, their store where they sell the product that an OTG cable is required to  connect the CrystalSky to the remote control. I copied and pasted from the product page. So I suppose you could use the CS with your phone and WiFi, just no RC. That may not be how it works -- but that is their stance on how it works right from the time you buy it.

Uh...keep reading (see highlighted text)

2018-1-17
Use props
BSIBrian
lvl.3
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-17 13:46
Uh...keep reading (see highlighted text)

[view_image]

Perhaps you should have kept reading (my original post.) And I do believe you are arguing for the sake of argument. Wasting my time.
2018-1-17
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BSIBrian Posted at 2018-1-17 13:48
Perhaps you should have kept reading (my original post.) And I do believe you are arguing for the sake of argument. Wasting my time.

Sorry wasn't trying to be argumentative.
2018-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I didn't make this stuff up. It says on their site, their store where they sell the product that an OTG cable is required to  connect the CrystalSky to the remote control. I copied and pasted from the product page. So I suppose you could use the CS with your phone and WiFi, just no RC. That may not be how it works -- but that is their stance on how it works right from the time you buy it.

Look I’m using it with WiFi , it works fine , it’s a monitor just like your phone or using an iPad it’s just otg is not supported for it just now and yes I’m using it with my RC, It even works with WiFi with Mavic .
2018-1-17
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

BSIBrian Posted at 2018-1-17 12:50
Except, I can buy the CrystalSky for the Spark, sold by DJI. Great. I add it to my cart. I get a notice that a $79 bracket is required to connect it to the Spark. Great. I add it to the cart. But on the bracket page I get a notice that: A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.

The CS and the dedicated Mavic/ Spark controller mount works to attach the CS to the controller, you can then use OTG with a micro usb adaptor connected to the integrated mount cable (when OTG is working that is) or you can use it by connecting the CS to the RC wi-fi.

or you can side-load DJI Go 4 4.1.15 on the CS and have fully operational OTG
Anyway lucky you don't have a CS Ultra they have been plagued by backlight failures

2018-1-17
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-17 12:55
I heard they (DJI) stopped working on the OTG so people buy their soon to be released (1/23) drone.

+1 that is definitely their marketing strategy, make you buy a Spark, realise it's deficiencies and then put in front of you something that meets all your requirements, bingo 2 sizeable sales in 6 mths, not to mention all the accessory on-sell as well.
2018-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

No one is arguing with you but trying to give you the benefit of experience, and no one here would disagree with you in having the choice for otg.
2018-1-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules