Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello guys,

I will be out on a trip with my drone and I am planning to fly it over the ocean. I am not sure if I am suppose to turn off or leave the downward VPS on. I won't fly it very low or high. I need your advice on what techniques or what settings to save when flying over water.
2018-1-15
Use props
damoUK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know what the official word is on this, but I fly over water all the time and have never turned the sensor off, as long as you're not going VERY low (eg down to the height where it might think you're trying to land), it should be fine!
2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I personally leave the sensors on (to avoid sea gulls etc) but fly at 50-400' up in VLOS when over large bodies of water. If you fly below 50' the VPS will start to activate and this has been known to cause problems for some - as in never seeing their drone again!
2018-1-15
Use props
damoUK
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-15 10:29
I personally leave the sensors on (to avoid sea gulls etc) but fly at 50-400' up in VLOS when over large bodies of water. If you fly below 50' the VPS will start to activate and this has been known to cause problems for some - as in never seeing their drone again!

I've done sweeping shots along lake and river banks/"through" reeds at around 4m (12ft) and it's been absolutely fine and a joy to fly and film - that was before I followed the conversations on here and became a slightly more nervous MP pilot, I might be more cautious now though!
2018-1-15
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

damoUK Posted at 2018-1-15 10:27
I don't know what the official word is on this, but I fly over water all the time and have never turned the sensor off, as long as you're not going VERY low (eg down to the height where it might think you're trying to land), it should be fine!

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. I always fly my drone within LOS to avoid any mishap.
2018-1-15
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-15 10:29
I personally leave the sensors on (to avoid sea gulls etc) but fly at 50-400' up in VLOS when over large bodies of water. If you fly below 50' the VPS will start to activate and this has been known to cause problems for some - as in never seeing their drone again!

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. I always fly my drone within LOS to avoid any mishap.
2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

damoUK Posted at 2018-1-15 10:33
I've done sweeping shots along lake and river banks/"through" reeds at around 4m (12ft) and it's been absolutely fine and a joy to fly and film - that was before I followed the conversations on here and became a slightly more nervous MP pilot, I might be more cautious now though!

Drone flying is intrinsically linked to balancing out risks every second you are airborne. You could fly one inch off the surface of the sea a mile away but I wouldn't recommend it LOL
2018-1-15
Use props
damoUK
Second Officer
United Kingdom

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-1-15 10:33

You can still get mishaps with LOS though it does reduce the risks, but you should always fly in LOS as (in most places) it's the rules!
2018-1-15
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Alright another Fying over water thread.
Really doesn't matter if they are on or off. The Mavic isn't choosy when landing in the drink.
2018-1-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown a ton of miles over water and yes leave the sensors on. Not an issue for me.
2018-1-15
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-15 15:28
Alright another Fying over water thread.
Really doesn't matter if they are on or off. The Mavic isn't choosy when landing in the drink.

DOH!!
2018-1-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turning off vps is the old days. Phantom 1,2,3. Not so much now.
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules