1707 12 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got this error on a P4P+ with a freshly charged battery, it was a little humid and around 50 degrees. I had only been airborne for about two minutes, approximately half a city block away. 100’ high. I immediately flew it back to hand and shut it down. The next day the temp dropped to around 25 degrees with no humidity. I flew up through trees to about 100’ and hovered to see if it would happen again. Didn’t travel away because I wouldn’t have been able to see it. No errors this time. Has anyone else seen this error? Is it common?

Jeff
2018-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's uncommon but I've seen it once or twice.
But if the warning is genuine, the ultrasonic system only affects the downward facing sensors that only work within 10 metres of the ground anyway.
It shouldn't have any effect on normal flying.
2018-1-15
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you. I'll keep watching it closely. I was wondering if the high humidity might have fouled the sensors. It was bordering on fog.

Jeff
2018-1-15
Use props
AussieFiveFinge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 413333 ft
Australia

I am getting the same error as of 2 days ago, As soon as my P4P+ gets up past about 10-15 meters I get the error Ultrasonic System Failure. This is the first time I have taken it out since upgrading to V01.05.0300. I even shut the P4P and controller down 3 times..kept getting the same error. Going to see if downgrading to V01.04.0602 will fix it.
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Jeff, it sounds like the misinformation. I'd suggest to test in a low altitude to see whether the message pops again. If everything works well, no need to worry.
2018-1-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

AussieFiveFinge Posted at 2018-1-15 18:41
I am getting the same error as of 2 days ago, As soon as my P4P+ gets up past about 10-15 meters I get the error Ultrasonic System Failure. This is the first time I have taken it out since upgrading to V01.05.0300. I even shut the P4P and controller down 3 times..kept getting the same error. Going to see if downgrading to V01.04.0602 will fix it.

I'm sorry about this. If there is no luck in refreshing firmware, I'm afraid that you may consider to send it in for a fully diagnosis and repair: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-1-20
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-20 02:00
Hey Jeff, it sounds like the misinformation. I'd suggest to test in a low altitude to see whether the message pops again. If everything works well, no need to worry.

Susan,
Thank you for the response. I’ve flown several times since getting this message, and it has not happened again. So I hope this was just an error that needed a simple reboot.

Jeff
2018-1-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-20 04:44
Susan,
Thank you for the response. I’ve flown several times since getting this message, and it has not happened again. So I hope this was just an error that needed a simple reboot.

Thanks for getting back to us. Feel free to contact us if there is any further questions, we'll be here.
2018-1-22
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Got this Warning on my 10th flight Mavic Platty, I had flown 300 metres away and was hovering at just over a hundred Feet above a park. The message lasted about20 seconds?
I was across a river and could not land in the park where anyone could have grabbed it so I put it in Sport and flew home as fast as I could getting there OK.
Another flight no messages so don't know why. It was about 25c and 70% humidity, Checked skin Temp on the Platty underside heatsinks it was only 40C.
2018-2-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Jeff
Have a theory...
Based on the conditions you stated at the time of the warning I think it is possible your sensors might have fogged over thus causing the error.  However, short of actually seeing that it is only an educated guess on my part.  Something to look out for in the future...
Fly Safe
2018-2-16
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-16 17:58
Jeff
Have a theory...
Based on the conditions you stated at the time of the warning I think it is possible your sensors might have fogged over thus causing the error.  However, short of actually seeing that it is only an educated guess on my part.  Something to look out for in the future...

When it happened, I did as was told by the Go 4 App and landed. I took the bird inside and rebooted it, and I haven’t seen the error since. After doing some reading my memory was refreshed and I realized I was in a mode that doesn’t utilize the Ultrasonic System. Then I began to hear that others had experienced the same issue. There were also some messages about the side sensing being disabled, in modes where they weren’t used. I found those messages stopped if you enable the side sensing via “Tripod” mode. There’s been a rev to the controller firmware for pano mode. My guess is there’s also been a bug fix to correct these two messages... or we are both correct in our thought that the sensors got fouled. The reason I am thinking it was a bug, IMHO it shouldn’t be alarming about modes that aren’t enabled and in use in the particular mode you’re flying in.

Jeff
2018-2-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-17 04:49
When it happened, I did as was told by the Go 4 App and landed. I took the bird inside and rebooted it, and I haven’t seen the error since. After doing some reading my memory was refreshed and I realized I was in a mode that doesn’t utilize the Ultrasonic System. Then I began to hear that others had experienced the same issue. There were also some messages about the side sensing being disabled, in modes where they weren’t used. I found those messages stopped if you enable the side sensing via “Tripod” mode. There’s been a rev to the controller firmware for pano mode. My guess is there’s also been a bug fix to correct these two messages... or we are both correct in our thought that the sensors got fouled. The reason I am thinking it was a bug, IMHO it shouldn’t be alarming about modes that aren’t enabled and in use in the particular mode you’re flying in.

Jeff

As you lay it out it sounds very plausible and likely the possible reason for the issue.
My one counter point would be that the VPS will be in use, as Labroides pointed out, when within 7m of the ground/surface below the bird, or when it thinks there is something below the bird.  
In this case, it has nothing to do with the side sensors, as you correctly stated they are disabled most of the time except in certain modes.
I've certainly had my problems with numerous warnings flashing at you like a tickertape machine, but I have yet to see this error come up.
Cheers  
2018-2-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-17 17:36
As you lay it out it sounds very plausible and likely the possible reason for the issue.
My one counter point would be that the VPS will be in use, as Labroides pointed out, when within 7m of the ground/surface below the bird, or when it thinks there is something below the bird.  
In this case, it has nothing to do with the side sensors, as you correctly stated they are disabled most of the time except in certain modes.

oops, I missed that. It makes sense now though. It always barks out that incessant beeping just as you descend to land.

Jeff
2018-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules